PDA

View Full Version : Maximum you can size down a boolit?

no34570
03-31-2011, 06:42 AM
Hi
I was wondering what would the absolute maximum,you would size a boolit down to?

I mean if I used an .377 dia boolit and sized it down to .368,would that be too far?

Just thinking of getting .375 cast bullets and sizing them down to fit the 9.3x62.
Any thoughts,please?

TIA:cbpour:

pdawg_shooter
03-31-2011, 08:09 AM
I size .311s down to .3015 and .459s down to .451 all the time BUT I do this for paper patching. Dont know how this would work for a naked bullet. The lube groves might not hold enough lube to last the ride.

45 2.1
03-31-2011, 08:16 AM
I've tried this quite a bit in the 9.3x57. It does work, but won't give sterling results. If sized concentrically its not to bad, but is pretty hard on most of the designs already out there.

peerlesscowboy
03-31-2011, 09:08 AM
I mean if I used an .377 dia boolit and sized it down to .368,would that be too far?

I don't think you'd be pleased with the results. Especially with relatively long nosed rifle bullets the more you size the shank down the more you can expect to bump up in diameter and distort the nose that's not supported in the sizing die.

pdawg_shooter
03-31-2011, 01:05 PM
I don't think you'd be pleased with the results. Especially with relatively long nosed rifle bullets the more you size the shank down the more you can expect to bump up in diameter and distort the nose that's not supported in the sizing die.

I use a push through die in my reloading press. Works great.

Larry Gibson
03-31-2011, 01:40 PM
Want to ask yourself a couple questions; Is the nose on the .375 bullet going to fit into the 9.3's bore without sizing also? Commercial cast bullets are often very hard and do not size easily, can i get softer alloyed bullets? Are the bullets i get going to be GC'd? Is the lube groove depth deep enough to size down to 3.68? If the answers to all those questions are positive then do I want to go the expense of 2, maybe 3, push through sizers to size the bullets in steps?

If the answers are all positive then get the bullets in a suitable and malleable alloy. They need to be lubed and GC'd at .377 then pushed through the sizers in 2, maybe 3 steps to .368. Make sure the lube grooves are full with no air pockets. The lube will compress very little and will continue to swage and maintain the lube grooves as the bullet is swaged down. Push through the sizer with the GC on the ram also keeps the shank in check (pun intended). Might be possible to size down in 1 step but the bullet can distort if the sizing section in the sizer is too short. In the long run getting an appropriate mould for the 9.3x62 is the easier solution and probably the better solution.

Larry Gibson

no34570
03-31-2011, 02:23 PM
Thanks guys
I'll just get a couple of different moulds for the 9.3,I had a feeling that it would distort or make the boolit longer,just a thought :)

C1PNR
03-31-2011, 03:04 PM
As to making the boolits longer, the displaced lead has to go somewhere.

IIRC, Buckshot had a picture of the same boolit sized down a couple of times and the length difference was quite apparent.

no34570
03-31-2011, 03:29 PM
As to making the boolits longer, the displaced lead has to go somewhere.

IIRC, Buckshot had a picture of the same boolit sized down a couple of times and the length difference was quite apparent.

Yeah
I was just trying to be a cheap skate and save money on not buying too many moulds,but I have come to realise,since being a member here,you can never have to many moulds [smilie=s: