PDA

View Full Version : Using a Small Mill Drill for Bullet Development

KCSO
03-30-2011, 01:14 PM
Prior to cutting a new mould or modifying an existing mould it would be nice to be able to see what the modified bullet would actually shoot like. If you own a small Milll Drill and a rotary table of collet set up there is an easy way to test bullets before you go to the expense of cutting or having a mould cut.

First install your collet or rotary table on the mill and center it. A handy hint here is to use a set of Brownell's Lathe center buttons. Simnply put one button in the collet and put a 60 degree center in the mill quill and dial in the buttons till the mated buttons read 900 on your mike and you are centered. No need to dial in and the finished set up is accurate to less than 1/2 of a thousands, way more accurate than a bullet comes from the mould.

Now put the bullet on a stop, I just use a strip of aluminum cut for the purpose. (figure 1) Then put in the appropriate cutter. For example (figure2) here is a 3/8" milling cutter set up to convert a round nose bullet to a flat point for a Rossi Carbine. In (figure 3) the next photo we see a center drill being used to make a hollow point bullet.

The last photo shows the original round nose bullet and both a flat point and a hollow point bullet all from the same mould. Bullets of 240, 230 and 225 grains are now ready for testing and if they don't work out, it's back to the mill to try other configurations. This system also works well for making a coupld dozen special hunting bullets for special purpose. I use the 225 hollow points for deer hunitng where the factory roound nose bullets would penetrate too much. By adjusting the stops bullets can be hollowpointed to any weight or depth and the finished bullets are accurate to within 1/10 of a grain and the hollow points centered closer than the mould is round.

303Guy
03-31-2011, 02:31 AM
Great! A lathe can be used for the same purpose but a turned 'squeese collet' that wont turn in the jaws is needed for centering and holding the boolits without damage.

NoDakJak
04-03-2011, 03:31 AM
I chuck loaded 44 Special rounds in my lathe and use a center drill to hollow point them. For those that I fire through my hard kicking Charter Arms Bulldog I turn the entire tapered nose section off the 240 grain Keith style boolit. This not only reduces recoil but increases knockdown. Neil

rogn
04-03-2011, 02:34 PM
A Forster case trimmer/neck turner has a HP attachment. I think the only size available is 1/8". I guess someone could easily make a nose flattener for it by altering a drill bit. I guess you could take a hollow pointing bit and grind it smaller for a smaller HP. The tool is used on the loaded round with the case holding collet griping the case rim and the HP tool has a centering cone.

Char-Gar
04-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Not too long ago, a guy posted a pic of an RCBS bullet puller he used to hollow point bullet in a lathe. He used a bolt to tighten the collet with a tool that ran through the head stock. If a fellow had a milling attachment for his lathe (which I do) a meplat could be cut on the bullet, just as the poster described in his original post with the mill/drill.

GaryN
04-03-2011, 03:55 PM
I have a Forster trimmer with the hollow pointer. It has a 1/8 plus a 1/16 size bit for hollow pointing. They cost about twenty bucks for each size.

mpkunz
04-04-2011, 01:52 PM
FWIW, for the lathe, I bought a couple of 5C blank collets (search "emergency collet") at www.grizzly.com . Their spendiest one is brass and is only $ 15.25 These can be turned inside to any diameter bullet (or brass) you want to hold. You can turn them to with a grain or so with nothing more than a fine file and a cut piece of cardstock to compare contours.

My fun topic for the past few years has been what I call "momentum pigs" - really heavy bullets in a particular caliber, fired at subsonic velocities and used with a suppressor. I have an emergency collet turned to .470" for holding rifle brass for making my favorite wildcat cartridges out of .30-'06 cases, another in 0.430" for 44 caliber bullet development and one in 0.459" for big .458 development. Very inexpensive way to do bullet development.