PDA

View Full Version : Powder Measures

WickedGoodOutdoors
03-30-2011, 10:20 AM
Im looking for an intersting unique homemade powder measure.

any great ideas?

Id really like to get a few Ram/Bull Horns to make some power horns

http://www.muzzleloadermag.com/HINTS%20(stoves)/stoves%20bills.gif

northmn
03-30-2011, 12:12 PM
One way to get a quick powder measure is to take a rifle case, like a 30-06 and cut off the base and flatten the neck where the bullet is seated. You can then drill the neck for a cord. Vary that idea as desired.

DP

wellfedirishman
03-30-2011, 12:36 PM
I use a 45-70 case as my powder measure. Just fill it to the top, easy.

Use a 454 Casull or 45 Colt for lighter loads.

Cheap, effective, and gives repeatable measure every time.

calaloo
03-30-2011, 02:46 PM
If there is a vet in your area that works on cattle he probably can fix you up with all the horns you can handle. Boil them in a bucket and the center cartilage will fall out. Scrape them with broken glass. Stain them with silver nitrate.

Dale53
03-30-2011, 04:07 PM
I have made powder horns from raw green horns that we "removed " from cattle. The smell when "rendering" the horn is pretty bad (don't be doing it close to your neighbors) but it IS a fun job and you can end up with something to be proud of.

Good horns are getting harder and harder to find as polled herefords are much more popular around here in the Midwest (SW Ohio).

FWIW
Dale53

fishnbob
03-30-2011, 06:22 PM
I have a brass powder horn that dates back to the War Between the States era that my Father-in-Law left me. It is a beaut. I use the quick loaders, plastic with caps on each end. Bullet in one end and powder in the other.

swamp
03-30-2011, 09:19 PM
I have some cow horns and buffler horn also. I have made a few. Let me know if interested .

swamp

mooman76
03-31-2011, 12:25 AM
Most BP sites have bull horns for you to work with. They come in various stages from green to finished or you can even buy tips. Deer antler works well too.

swamp
04-05-2011, 03:36 PM
wicked,

I will have to check. I am pretty sure that I have some cow horns that are lighter shade that wood be good for scrimshaw.

As soon as I dig them out I will post some pics on the thread.

The mermaid wood look good on a horn. I have no talent for artistry myself.

swamp

swamp
04-05-2011, 04:19 PM
Wicked,
Here are the pics of the horns.

swamp
04-05-2011, 04:37 PM
The one in #3 I have done alot of worke on. It needs base plug fitted and spout plug. #4 Is almost done. The pour spout plug needs final fitting,\. It is an ebony violin turning stem.

The others are all raw horns. Pic #2 I believe are a right and left pair. A least they match up real well.

The black ones are bison horns. Just put them in to give you a look. They polish out beautyfully, but not real good for scrimshaw.

Let me know if you like some. I am sure we can work out something.

swamp
04-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Wicked,
It has been a loong time since I've heard that one. Don't much listen to country western stations anymore. The sound more like rock. I like rock n roll, but when I want to hear country that is what I want to hear.

As for as the horn goes I don't know what they are worth. I got most of them in ttrades. I think they would have to go in a med or large frb.

Did you want one or more? I guessing that you want raw ones? I use files and scrapers on mine. It is not something I reccomend doing indoors. Even if not married. If married, it could be hazardous to your health. Either way use a dust mask.

I will PM with offer on horn

Michael(swamp)

Longwood
04-06-2011, 07:47 PM
So. Swamp. What would you be asking for one of those horns?

Ill sit on the Shofa and carve it into a Powda Horn and listen to some Tunes.

whens the last time you heard this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJSeFQayZm0&feature=related
I am 69 and love good music of several different types. One of the neatest things I have is my ipod. I love how you I can find and download so much of the old stuff. I have it in my truck and it plays through the stereo. Very nice!!! I have over 200 of my CD's, more than 2800 carefully selected songs on it and now I never have to listen to any big mouth DJ's or any songs I don't care for.
I have about 8 of Doug and his son's songs on it along with some of Jerry Jeff Walkers early stuff. Doug's Louisiana Man is one that always gets my toes to tapping and makes me smile inside when I hear it.