PDA

View Full Version : Crud in a Saeco Pot

Tammany42
03-30-2011, 07:20 AM
It was too cold out so I used my bullet pot to smelt some lead flashing and got a brown dirt/dust that has taken over the pot, ladle, ingot molds etc. Best recomentation for cleaning it. Thanks in advance

kbstenberg
03-30-2011, 07:55 AM
Tammany 42 I also had contaminant in my pot. All you have to do is empty the pot of any lead, let it cool an clean all of the surfaces with some kind of soap an scrubby pad. Rinse all the soapy water out. An you should have a pot ready to re-heat.
Welcome to the land of the Silver Stream.
Kevin

bobthenailer
03-30-2011, 09:52 AM
May i also recommend sand blastig if needed

Tammany42
03-30-2011, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the quick replies

oneokie
03-30-2011, 12:45 PM
Others have given good suggestions. I will add my thoughts, empty the pot and fill it with vinegar and let it soak for 12-24 hours. Empty, scrub the walls with a wire brush, flush with water, then fill with soapy water and turn the pot on to boil the soapy water, turn off and scrub again. After it has cooled down, flush with water again.

If you do use a wire brush, wear at least a dust mask to avoid breathing the dust.

Sounds like you used the wrong flux or not enough flux when smelting. Try sawdust for flux.

I smelted 440 lbs of wheel weights in my Saeco #24 and it was as clean when I finished as it was when I started. Used walnut sawdust.

Tammany42
03-30-2011, 07:08 PM
Thanks. This is a Saeco #24.

I will try walnut in the future. The pot is emptyand a buddy has a sand blaster. The pot is 30+ years old so it needs a cleaning. I will try the vinegar, etc as I clean it after the sand blasting.

timkelley
03-30-2011, 08:10 PM
Tammany, I may very well be wrong (I'm good at it) but I seem to remember from somewhere that Walnut smoke or fumes can be poison. Maybe someone else will remember.

Le Loup Solitaire
03-31-2011, 05:16 PM
When I clean my Saeco 24 and I do it periodically, I use a brass wire brush after the pot is emptied and cooled down. They sell those at Harbor Freight for reasonable. It works on the standard crud and slag that accumulates on the bottom and sides. I would think that vinegar would work well as it contains acetic acid, but the problem with that is the pot's crucible is cast iron. The vinegar will remove rust and other substances, but if left too long it will start to corrode the cast iron. 12-24 hours may be to long and may do some damage. I would start with a lower time dose just to be on the safe side; say a couple of hours. Collectors of cast iron cookware often use vinegar to clean rust off their items and they are cautious about soak times. Don't forget to clean the valve chute and valve stem as well as this is where the crud usually interferes with pouring. Dust mask when brushing--yes! When storing the pot for some time, I recommend wiping all metal surfaces with an oily rag to prevent rust. I also spray the outside of my pot with Rustoleum BBQ High Heat; It not only looks good, keeps the pot looking new, but prevents rust.....which never sleeps. LLS

Tammany42
04-01-2011, 06:57 AM
Excellent, thanks

cajun shooter
04-01-2011, 08:56 AM
The easiest way to keep your pot free of rust is to leave it full when your casting day is over. Wipe down the lip and other exposed metal wirh EEZOX or Kroil.