PDA

View Full Version : a puzzling cast boolit day...

watkibe
03-29-2011, 11:48 PM
For ever, it seems like, I have been shooting Lee's 309-150-GC over SR4759 from my .308 Remington 788 with complete happiness and satisfaction. Always the same: water dropped WW, LLA before and after a trip through the Lee sizer, where the Hornady GC is installed.
Some time back, I got the mold for this bullet's big brother: 309-180-GC. Last time I loaded it up (using the same method developed earlier, except with slightly less 4759) I had a near-epiphany of delight over the accuracy and velocities. All was well.
Today I started loading a batch. I had clean, primed, flared cases ready. I dropped powder, inserted the boolit and seated it, moved it over to the Lee crimp die, and the first 8 rounds were very nice. Rounds 9 and 10 weren't very nice at all. The necks were obviously bulging unattractively. I knew they wouldn't chamber, but just for fun, I got the 788 and confirmed the sad truth : these 2 rounds would not chamber.
I re-checked the die settings, pulled the bullets, tried reassembling the rounds, checked case lengths; nothing made sense until I started to measure all my boolits. About half measured 0.310 on the forward band. The rest measured larger, from 0.312 on up to 0.320. I loaded up all 20 of the 0.310 group without a hitch, bobble, or unattractive bulge to be seen anywhere, and even better, they all chambered perfectly.
The puzzlement is this: How did all these boolits go through the same LLA, Lee 0.309 sizing die, pick up a GC, back through the LLA, and have such different diameters ?
I understand that all measurements have some small variation, eg. my 0.310 boolits coming out of my 0.309 die, no worries. These variations today though, are large enough to prevent chambering rounds, which is not a no-worry-be-happy situation. Due to viewer discretion issues, I did not photograph the graphic nature of the offending fatties.
Perhaps some of my elders here have some wisdom to shed on this can of worms.

onondaga
03-30-2011, 12:14 AM
It is possible that the smaller diameter bullets weren't large enough for your sizer to size them at all.

I use the Lee 150 FN and before I modified the mold they dropped at .308". A .309 sizer will seat GCs on .308 bullets but not size the bands.

I wonder what your sizing die will really size an over diameter bullet to. If you have bullets that measure .320" anywhere on them and they have been through your sizing die, your sizing die is to blame and is too large if you want .310" bullets. They can't go through a .310" die and come out .320"

Try bumping up a bullet to oversize like about .320" and run it through your sizer then check diameter. This will tell you what your sizer does.

It could have been operator error also. You might have placed some checks by hand and not sized and crimped the checks. That would explain the bulged necks.

Gary

Bret4207
03-30-2011, 06:09 AM
If I understand correctly, you ran all these boolits through the sizer and they measure from .310 to .320? If so then I'd guess you sizer die is broken, cracked maybe and you aren't keeping the mould blocks firmly together during casting.

Let's hope there's another, more likely answer.

dverna
03-31-2011, 02:05 PM
There is no way you can put a bullet through a .309" hole and have them come out .320"

A .320" bullet out of a .309 mould sound like you have a problem with technique or a damaged mould.

Check your caliper. Is the dial "zeroed" with the jaws closed? Do you have a micrometer?

Don

watkibe
04-02-2011, 03:28 AM
I'm sure there were more replies (mine among them) to this thread, but I can't find them... Maybe the late hour is to blame...but where are they ? I had asked some questions of Onandaga, as I recall.

stubshaft
04-02-2011, 04:52 AM
If you are sizing in a Lee push through sizer that actually measures .310" ID you CANNOT be getting bullets that measure from .312" to .320". Either you measuring equipment is faulty or the sizing die is broken (cracked).

Do the bullets that you say measure .310" have any indication of actually being sized? If not, then your measuring equipment may not be calibrated correctly and the bullets that you THINK are .310" could actually be undersize.

watkibe
04-02-2011, 01:15 PM
like i said, puzzling...

watkibe
04-03-2011, 08:57 PM
The dial on my caliper had in fact slipped to + 0.003", which explains the high bias, but not the variability.
I re-sized all the boolits and re-measured without re-lubing. Everything was very close to the nominal value, with little variability. I seated all the remaining boolits (not re-lubed) with no further bulged necks.
So, my zero was off three thou, and the re-lube was thick and uneven. To my mind, I still haven't found the cause of the bulged necks, but I am a happier man, lol.
Thanks for the replies.