PDA

View Full Version : Gettin' racey with the Rusky rifle now ....

Jack Stanley
12-03-2006, 08:28 PM
I started fooling with a Russian M38 a while back . I tried surplus in it but it wouldn't group at all . With a big throat and a .314 groove it's no wonder . :roll:
I have a 311440 mold that is oversize enough to work in this one so I used that with liquid alox and gas checks on the bullet . Started with sixteen and a half grains of 2400 to see what happens . It gave me enough to set the sights with and did group better than surplus :-D Next I tried the Lee powder scoop that is supposed to hold seventeen and a half grains .... well it actually holds eighteen , but it worked better . Group size was about half the size as the first try and I was able to lower the rear sight some .
Really steppin' off the front porch now ........ gonna try nineteen grains :Fire: Not to worry , for that bullet weight I'm still below what an old Lyman manual lists as a start . I may have to start watching for leading , this liquid alox is still new to me when the velocities go up . That and the bullets I'm using are the ones I cast out of pure lead when I was trying out the mold to see how it worked . I guess I can always go back and try a harder mix huh?

Jack

Cayoot
12-04-2006, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the report! I'm really looking forward to seeing how this goes.

Jack Stanley
12-12-2006, 09:56 PM
I got a chance to shoot the nineteen grain load along with the eighteen grain load again . Something was not in favor for this to work out to well , the group was a good bit larger .
Could be any number of things but I'm not trying to overfuss with this rifle . Perhaps the bullets are to soft , after all they were cast out of pure lead (just tying to see how the mold would work and that's what the pot was full of ) . Lubed with the liquid alox , next time maybe add a bit more lube ...........

Any number of things to do different but I think I'll just shoot it and be happy untill this pile of bullets is gone :Fire:

Jack

piwo
12-13-2006, 12:02 AM
I started fooling with a Russian M38 a while back . I tried surplus in it but it wouldn't group at all . With a big throat and a .314 groove it's no wonder . :roll:
I have a 311440 mold that is oversize enough to work in this one so I used that with liquid alox and gas checks on the bullet . Started with sixteen and a half grains of 2400 to see what happens . It gave me enough to set the sights with and did group better than surplus :-D Next I tried the Lee powder scoop that is supposed to hold seventeen and a half grains .... well it actually holds eighteen , but it worked better . Group size was about half the size as the first try and I was able to lower the rear sight some .
Really steppin' off the front porch now ........ gonna try nineteen grains :Fire: Not to worry , for that bullet weight I'm still below what an old Lyman manual lists as a start . I may have to start watching for leading , this liquid alox is still new to me when the velocities go up . That and the bullets I'm using are the ones I cast out of pure lead when I was trying out the mold to see how it worked . I guess I can always go back and try a harder mix huh?

Jack

I have 5 different models of the "Three Line Rifle" (but not an M38), and am awaiting with some anticipation your results... My two Fin's shoot well even with MILSURP: the three Russian's are meatball throwers... :roll:

45nut
12-13-2006, 02:17 AM
I have 5 different models of the "Three Line Rifle" (but not an M38), and am awaiting with some anticipation your results... My two Fin's shoot well even with MILSURP: the three Russian's are meatball throwers... :roll:

Piwo,,i saw several referances to the "Three Line Rifle"..........but no explanations.
please explain.

Buckshot
12-13-2006, 03:30 AM
................Three lines equals 3 tenths, ie: .300".

I have a M44 I need to get out and shoot. I have been having some fun fooling around with a couple M91-30's and things have been progressing well with both. I do enjoy shooting them but the triggers on'em is like squeezing a ripe Apricot.

..............Buckshot

piwo
12-13-2006, 12:48 PM
Piwo,,i saw several referances to the "Three Line Rifle"..........but no explanations.
please explain.

The term "Mosin Nagant Rifle" is a western slang for this rifle: In Russia, its created name, and is referred to there and in Europe as the Three Line Rifle, Model of 1891 (and so forth). So I was just being a "Mosin" snob I guess:oops: :-D

Actually I promised the world’s foremost "Mosin Nagant" collector (Karl-Heinz Wrobel) I'd start calling them that out of respect for all his help to me.:drinks:

floodgate
12-13-2006, 01:49 PM
45 Nut:

As I recall, the "Three Line comes from a French word, "ligne" - nominally 1/10-inch, so "three-ligne" translates (roughly) to ".30 caliber".

floodgate

carpetman
12-13-2006, 02:21 PM
ligne is also used for button size. Funny thing in the Air Force regulation that described uniforms it told what the ligne of different buttons would be,but did not define ligne. I have seen it defined in one dictionary as pertaining to watch making and many dictionaries dont have it. That same clothing regulation also said shoes/boots could be smooth or scotch grain leather. Anyone know of a source that defines scotch grain leather? I have never found it defined. I wore my belly ostrich boots and if anyone wanted to challenge I assured them they were Scottish ostrich.

Jack Stanley
12-14-2006, 10:12 PM
piwo , don't be bashfull dive in and start loading . I think it was someone here that suggested I use 2400 and sixteen and a half grains . There's another thread out there talking about the success someone had with eighteen grains .
I do think ya should find out what size the throat of the rifle is ..... it will save you some time at the range if the bullets fit right . Once I fool with this mold a little more I may use some of the two hundred fifteen grain cast that I use in my British in this . Shouldn't be to hard with the LEE die to bring them down from .318 to .314 do y' think after all they are already lubed .

Jack