PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99 year of manuf?

ammohead
03-29-2011, 12:16 AM
I picked up a model 99 in 303 Savage tonight. Serial #1182XX. Anyone know which year this was made? It has the rounded rear bolt portion and was stamped Chicopee Falls Mass on the bbl. It is missing the rear aperature sight but both of the screws are there for mounting if I can find one. The rear sight in the dovetail is after market, and not as old as the rifle, so I will be looking for an original for that also. Or a period correct blank.

This rifle has had lots of tender loving care over the years. The bore is mirror bright and has sharp corners. The brass insert is still in the front sight and is in like new condition. I would call the blueing 85% and the checkering is still quite sharp. I don't think it spent much time in the field. Can't wait to see how she shoots. Should be a good candidate for cast boolits.

Any help is appreciated.

ammohead

Bret4207
03-29-2011, 07:29 AM
According to Murrays book the serial number puts it in the 1911-1919 era, but the Chicopee Falls puts it in the 1946-60 era. I would imagine you have a replacement barrel on an early action. The rounded rear of the bolt indicates it went back to the factory to be updated if I understand the procession correctly, but I don't know when this started or ended.

shotman
03-29-2011, 07:49 AM
serial is 1910 but barrel is not original as bret said That sounds like a Numeric replacement
The original rear sight is a dove tail and about 4in long. cal was stamped in top of barrel near receiver

excess650
03-29-2011, 09:00 AM
A book other than Murray's puts that serial# in 1911. The rear of the bolt was changed from square to round in 1908 as was the rectangular cocking indicator changing to the round, protruding pin. Takedown barrels are usually marked with the last digits of the receiver serial number.

The serail number and barrel markings definitely do not match the same time period. It sounds like you have a really nice shooter!

gnoahhh
03-29-2011, 12:08 PM
I too think that it's a replacement barrel. Also, the only stocks that were checkered at that time were special order jobs. Is yours a straight grip or pistol grip? (if pistol grip, probably a replacement too) The buttstock will be serial numbered to the gun (under the butt plate) if original, from that era. Some detailed pics would be wonderful.

Murrays, while being an excellent guide, is not very accurate regarding serial numbers from the pre-1920 era. We have established a more accurate data base, based on research of factory records, that proves this. Your rifle actually dates to 1911, maybe 1912. My .22HP #112xxx factory historian lettered to 1911.

Take down barrels from that era weren't as a rule numbered to the receiver. That doesn't start to turn up until the '20s. But, like all things Savage, never say never.

Bret4207
03-29-2011, 05:36 PM
Sorry guys, Murrays was the onlyist one I had.

pietro
03-29-2011, 07:10 PM
Savage 99 production for 1911 was from SN110001 to SN119000, some 8,000 rifles.

The A2 Standard Rifle from that year had simple checkering.

gnoahhh
03-30-2011, 08:19 AM
And how many A2's have you stumbled onto? The reason I asked about the stock was 95% of Savage 1899's were straight gripped, no checkering. A rifle from that era with a checkered pistol grip would be a rarity. Without pics, or a response from the original poster, one can only assume that a later era stock was fitted. Since the OP hasn't responded it would be ludicrous to guess as to what he has.

ammohead
04-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Thanks for all replys,

It does appear to have replacement stocks, but I believe that the pistol grip lever is original. I removed the butt stock and cleaned the oil stains off of the bolt and the lever does not look out of place with the rest of the components. The barrel has been replaced, and according to a local gunsmith it may have been a factory rebarrel job. It has an extra serial number hand vibe engraved in the bottom of the receiver 2101251 near the forestock. It is neatly done and it is obvious that the receiver has been blued afterward.

Is this an indication of a factory rebarrel?

ammohead