PDA

View Full Version : Steel & Cast Iron Difference?

Mike W1
03-28-2011, 07:55 PM
Now I know Lyman seems to be a dirty word on here lot of the time, but I noticed that Lyman now says their blocks are steel instead of cast like RCBS and SAECO still are.

Is there a reason they went to this and how do the two metals seem to compare far as the caster would notice? Wonder because I cannot seem to cast with an aluminum mold consistently and I don't want to spend that much money and find out that steel is harder to cast with than iron.

03-28-2011, 08:00 PM
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Lyman moulds have always been made of steel, albeit a rather soft one. The name of the man who came up with the formula and by whose name it is referred to, escapes me.

Edited to add: Meehanite is the man's name and the name of the alloy.

357shooter
03-28-2011, 08:12 PM
They are made of leaded-steel, from web-site info. So soft-steel sounds right.

Seems to cast great for me, but I can't compare with iron.

Casting Timmy
03-28-2011, 09:31 PM
I never cast with a Saeco, but I do like casting with my Lymans and RCBS molds. Either way it seems like all my molds like to cast just a little different. Don't be afraid to keep playing with your aluminum molds or try out any of the steel molds.

Bret4207
03-29-2011, 06:58 AM
I have Lyman, RCBS, SAECO, NEI, LBT, Cramer, Hoch, and a bunch of other "steel/iron" moulds. They all work fine.

Lymans biggest issue is dimensions, now RCBS is starting that. A sign of the times.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-29-2011, 07:05 AM
I recently got a brocure from Redding (Saeco).
and it said Saeco molds are made of an Iron alloy with some copper,
which gives it a finer grain.

I have cast with Lyman, RCBS and Saeco...
I guess I've liked the RCBS out of all of those if I were to compare
my personal experiences.
Jon

drklynoon
03-29-2011, 02:32 PM
As far as your problem with Aluminium molds, I too have had issues. My 200 gr .45 SWC is a dream to use but my .311 rn is a waste of metal. It's kinda hit or miss with them. I have my suspicions that the aluminium molds are more problematic the lighter and smaller the bullet gets. but this is not confirmed just suspicion.

Jarel
03-30-2011, 12:40 AM
I have used aluminum, steel, iron. they all can cast good boolits. If you miss treat them they all can give you trouble. Everything being equal Lee won't last as long as a good mold. But a Lee will still cast thousands and i cast to save money. So why pay 2 or 3 times the price of a Lee? Next it weight. I have mostly 6 cavity Lee and they weigh less than 2 cavity steel or iron. I clean a new mold well then warm it up some and give it a coat of NEI mold prep. That stuff is worth it's weight in gold in my book. I can cast about 1200 boolits an hour with a good 6 cavity. Yes i have a shallow tray with a sponge in it and full of water and set the bottom of the mold on the wet sponge every 4 or 5 fillings. Have yet to warp a Lee doing that. Hope this helps.

Mike W1
03-30-2011, 04:30 PM
Interesting info above and thanks for the replies!

casterofboolits
03-30-2011, 07:18 PM
Lyman at one time was advertised as austinetic cast iron. I have machined several old Lyman moulds and they machined like cast iron.

My personal preference is for iron/steel moulds as they hold temp very well. YMMV