PDA

View Full Version : .416 Taylor

caillouetr9981
03-28-2011, 07:34 PM
Have been reloading the Taylor for awhile now and have found that I have had more fun with this caliber than most any other!

Using the 350gr. (GC) RCBS casts with AA-2015 has given rounds that move out at just below 1800fps. My oldest son, recently took his Taylor out with these loads and managed a 10-shot (slow fire) group that was right at 4-1/2 inches - AT 400 YARDS!

Hoping to hear from some of you who have found the pleasure of having a .416 Taylor....

Reggie

wmitty
03-28-2011, 09:13 PM
That group at that distance has to be a record of some kind! That is indeed fine shooting! I still look on Gunbroker for a .416 barrel among the M 700 take offs but not many seem to be for sale. I am forced to get along with a couple of .375's which I've tried at 200 yds with some success. I'll try 'em at 400 and see how they do.

johnly
03-28-2011, 09:26 PM
Funny thing... I'm looking for a M700 416 barrel at the same place for the same reason, but I also have a M70 action I can use should one appear.

John

frankenfab
03-28-2011, 09:26 PM
Thanks for that information. What was the rifle?

I have a couple Mausers and A&B barrells for .416 Taylor and .458 Winchester Magnum. I have plans to make them into a twin pair of cast boolit shooters with identical but different color stocks.

Hardcast416taylor
03-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Reggie. Sorry I haven`t got back to you. Is that load the 47 gr. of AA 2015 you told me about last year? I don`t recall if you said magnum primers were used or just standard ones. To the site readers that have never shot a Taylor, you don`t know what you`re missing.Robert

nanuk
03-28-2011, 10:40 PM
I wish we could get reasonably priced barrel, like A&B up here.

Hardcast416taylor
03-29-2011, 11:35 AM
Nanuk. I have heard that E.R. Shaw has .416 barrels again.Robert

frank505
03-29-2011, 12:48 PM
Ahhh the 416 Taylor. It is easily my favorite big bolt gun and caliber. Easy to load for, flat shooting, hard hitting, not much recoil. It is an easy conversion from a 7mm mag, just a barrel. Alas the cheap barrels from Midway are no longer, I think I paid 60 some dollars for mine.
We have shot quite a bit of stuff with this cartridge from armadillos to ?. Jacketed or cast, we dont care it works well.

caillouetr9981
03-30-2011, 02:12 AM
Thanks for that information. What was the rifle?

I have a couple Mausers and A&B barrells for .416 Taylor and .458 Winchester Magnum. I have plans to make them into a twin pair of cast boolit shooters with identical but different color stocks.

The rifle was a pristine 98-Mause that I built into the Taylor. IT SHOOTS!

lilmunch
04-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Robert,

You asked my father about the use of magunm or std primers with my 2015 load. Short answer is I have been using Remington Lg Rifle Magnum primers with all of my loadings for the Taylor to date.

Lilmunch

Hardcast416taylor
04-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Thank ya kindly lilmunch. I like to hear what other people stoke up their Taylor`s with as far as powders and what type of primers they are getting good results with. What may work up here for me may not make it out the barrel for you down thar`. Howdy to your Pa for me.Robert:bigsmyl2:

Three44s
04-21-2011, 12:28 AM
Sooner rather than later I am going to "bite the bullet" and order a .416 Taylor for a Savage 110.

For those unfamiliar with these .......... Savage uses a barrel "jam" nut. This allows the owner with the proper tools and a modecum of knowledge to change barrels and set one's own headspace.

You can even change bolt heads and magazines out to accomodate the conversion if it becomes necessary.

I would rate the ER Shaw option as being quite economical .........

Three 44s

Hardcast416taylor
04-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Sooner rather than later I am going to "bite the bullet" and order a .416 Taylor for a Savage 110.

For those unfamiliar with these .......... Savage uses a barrel "jam" nut. This allows the owner with the proper tools and a modecum of knowledge to change barrels and set one's own headspace.

You can even change bolt heads and magazines out to accomodate the conversion if it becomes necessary.

I would rate the ER Shaw option as being quite economical .........

Three 44s

Now you are getting the idea of the reason I sent you those sample paper patched .416`s! Hurry up! I want to spoil you some more!:twisted:Robert

dodgyrog
04-21-2011, 05:43 PM
I've found my Sako .416 Rem Mag remarkably accurate too. No wind deflection perhaps. It certainly did the job in Africa (not the big five though, TOO expensive).
We have the Ashes competition at Bisley in the UK each year for big game guns. Australians vs the Brits. 10 shots rapid certainly grabs your attention.
100 yard off hand on a pistol target is also very challenging.
I found the RCBS mould boolit didn't feed well, though.
Altogether a great round and good fun to shoot.

Hardcast416taylor
04-21-2011, 09:04 PM
I've found my Sako .416 Rem Mag remarkably accurate too. No wind deflection perhaps. It certainly did the job in Africa (not the big five though, TOO expensive).
We have the Ashes competition at Bisley in the UK each year for big game guns. Australians vs the Brits. 10 shots rapid certainly grabs your attention.
100 yard off hand on a pistol target is also very challenging.
I found the RCBS mould boolit didn't feed well, though.
Altogether a great round and good fun to shoot.

You`ve piqued my interest about your feeding ailment. Where abouts is the problem occuring, magazine feed ramp, entering chamber, final bolt closing??? I have only 1 problem with my RCBS 350 gr. bullet in my Taylor - didn`t cast or load enough! I have had my mold hollow pointed and have an additional gizmo that I can install and be back to making solid nosed bullets again. I recently had a paper patch mold made for me, it drops a 385 gr. bullet that I wrap with ordinary copier paper then size to .417" - very nasty looking beast.

What alloy are you using in your bullets? I`ve settled on a 50/50 alloy for practice work and water quenched ww for more serious work.Robert

Three44s
04-21-2011, 10:39 PM
Hello Robert,

I am going to get to that .416 Taylor project but other things keep running off with the bucks .....

First an underpriced 788 in .243 winked at me.

No sooner got that salted down and a Contender came dancing by from a deceased friend.

Got that deal put together and I SWEAR ........ it'll be that .416 next!!!

YES .......... you surely did spoil me with those PP .416's you snuck in with the .338's .......... LOL ..... those are IMPRESSIVE slugs!

My wife just shakes her head ........ thinks I am CRAZY!!!

Best regards

Three 44s

dodgyrog
04-23-2011, 05:17 PM
The RCBS boolit has a flat nose which catches on the feed ramp of the barrel.
I suppose I could throat like I used to do on my Colt 1911 pistols but I'd rather the gun stayed original.

caillouetr9981
08-28-2015, 11:39 AM
Hi, Robert -

You still out there? If so, how's your Taylor working?

Reggie