PDA

View Full Version : lube recomendations?

carbon_15
03-27-2011, 09:57 PM
I just picked up an older lyman 450 luber sizer. I have been using the lee push through sizers and Rooster Jacket tumble lube.
Im not sure how to pick from the hundreds of commercial lubes on the market. I will be lubing 230gr .45 and .38 special both at around 800-850fps. Accuracy is most important but smokiness is a concern too. I avoided lead bullets for a long time because the smoke drives me crazy. the smell of alox gives me a nasty headache!!
suggestions?
-can be used without a heater
-accurate with low velocity .45 and .38
-as clean as possible
-no alox smell

thanks

timkelley
03-27-2011, 10:35 PM
You might go down to the vendor/sponsor area and look for White Label Lube. The fella who runs White Label makes a lube called BAC and that is what I use for 9mm, 38sp, and 45acp. It needs little or no heat and works very well in my old 450.

Firebricker
03-27-2011, 10:41 PM
carbon, Tims answer is spot on White label lube is all I use. BAC is good stuff and doe not need a heater. Carnuaba Red is my favorite but you need a heater or use a blow dryer to heat up your sizer for a few minutes. Not to mention Lars lube is half the cost or less than most commercial lubes. FB

MtGun44
03-27-2011, 10:44 PM
Start with somebody's version of NRA formula 50/50 lube. No heat required, known good
for pistols and rifles. After you have success and are pleased with your results, start trying
other lubes.

Bill

44man
03-28-2011, 12:39 AM
Only a few lubes worth thinking about. First is Felix that you make yourself and then there are White Label lubes. He makes the best at a great price.

stubshaft
03-28-2011, 01:09 AM
Gotta agree with 44man, if you want to try your hand at making loob then Felix is a great lube. If you just want to buy some BAC and White Label Lubes work great.

Bullshop
03-28-2011, 02:02 AM
You guys are giving me an inferiority complex!

HARRYMPOPE
03-28-2011, 02:36 AM
50/50 paraffin and Vaseline.Add part of a crayon to color it.You can change the amnt slightly for harder or softer depending on weather.It is called "Darr" and i have used it for 20 years.

HMP

noylj
03-28-2011, 03:27 AM
If Alox is so hard to put up with, you probably will not like BAC or NRA 50/50.
You could simply mix paraffin and petrolatum, maybe add some white lithium grase.
If you want a commercail lube, look for those that don't have Alox in them.
Check with White Label and Bull Shop.
Liquid Alox is hard to beat in terms of ease of application and performance.
Your needs, however, are rather mild most any lube will perform.
Be sure you know what the groove diameter is in each of your guns.

carbon_15
03-28-2011, 06:52 AM
Gonna try some BAC. I hear good things about the lyman moly lube. how does it compare?
How does the BAC compare to alox in smell. I dont know what it is, but that nasty sweet smell of pure lee alox gives me the most disgusting headache

44man
03-28-2011, 08:48 AM
You guys are giving me an inferiority complex!
Sorry, I just forgot about you!
Truth be told, I should have said "look for good lube here" at the bottom of the page. :Fire:

hansumtoad
03-28-2011, 09:48 AM
And if you want some entertaining reading... order some LBT Blue Soft from F.I.G. Enterprises.
Good lube. No Alox.

No offense, Bullshop, its the readling material thats fascinating.

Firebricker
03-28-2011, 10:29 AM
Sorry Bullshop I forgot too. So this would be the time to tell carbon15 about Bullplate. I use it every casting session. FB

carbon_15
03-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Sorry Bullshop I forgot too. So this would be the time to tell carbon15 about Bullplate. I use it every casting session. FB

Got some...love it!!! A friend gave me a small bottle and I am hooked

duckndawg
03-28-2011, 07:06 PM
you will like the BAC i've been useing it for three years now and really like it!

krag35
03-29-2011, 12:41 AM
Have not tried Bullshops lube, I am however a beleiver in bullplate. I bought enough Javalina to last 4 lifetimes some time ago. for pistol and slow rifle (444 )loads that is what I use. for rifle high velocity I use Lyman's Sper Moly.

dromia
03-29-2011, 03:39 AM
Bullshops Speed Green is another fine boolit lube.

I'm a White Label man my self but have made up some Speed Green in the past and can testify to its effectiveness and versatility.

btroj
03-29-2011, 07:00 AM
Form your first lube buy something with a proven track record. Many good recommendations have been given here. Take into account how you plan to lube and size. Some of these lubes are ok of you plan to pan lube, some don't always play nice for that. Some of these lubes will need a heater for a lubrisizer, many won't. Do yourself a favor and but something. Don't just look at a recipe here and decide to go off on your own and reinvent the wheel. Using a lube with a proven track record eliminates one more variable from the casting and shooting process. Making lube can wait til later.

sqlbullet
03-29-2011, 11:05 AM
When I got my first lubrisizer after about a year of LLA, I made a batch of felix and added a blue crayon. Has worked great for anything I have tried it in.