PDA

View Full Version : RCBS and Lyman sizing dies

Frank46
12-03-2006, 02:59 AM
Does anyone know wether or not the sizing dies as made my Rcbs and lyman are interchangeable?. Was thinking of getting one of the rcbs sizers but hesitate as all of my sizer dies are all lyman. Thanks, Frank

45nut
12-03-2006, 03:15 AM
They are "supposed" to be interchangeable..but as we all know tolerances are tolerances and that means 99% will fit,,1/2 of the other 1% may with a nudge and the other 1/2 of that 1% will be forever part of the lubesizer you force it into.

Frank46
12-03-2006, 03:38 AM
45nut, thanks for the info. Frank

chunkum
12-03-2006, 09:11 AM
I have-used/use both on both of my Lyman 450's and they function as they should. Of coure, as implied by the earlier post, YMMV.
c.

bmblong
12-03-2006, 09:37 AM
I just bought a RCBS lubrisizer and and have used nothing but Lyman top punches and sizer dies. They all work as advertised.

D.Mack
12-03-2006, 10:00 PM
I had this question in july____ I have both a lyman 450, and a rcbs, and Had a problem with a rcbs sizing die in my lyman lubrisizer. It seems that some of the rcbs dies are a few thousands larger in diameter, and may not go into a lyman lubrisizer. Most seem to be from .701 to . 703 but some of my rcbs dies go .708, just enough to prevent them from seating. However all of my lyman dies work in my rcbs sizer. I have a number of top punches, and all interchange. DM

grumpy one
12-03-2006, 10:15 PM
My experience in my Lyman 45 lubesizer is much the same as DM's - one of the RCBS dies was initially extremely tight. I removed a burr around the brand and size identification on the outside and it became possible to get it in and out of the machine but with more force than is ideal. Now, having forced it in a few times, while the Lyman dies fit easily one of them is prone to blowing its O-ring out if I crank up the pressure. I suspect that the lubesizer has stretched a bit to accommodate the RCBS die, and now is overly loose around the Lyman, resulting in the blowouts - and some leakage of lube around the outside of the bottom of the die as well.

Geoff

Bigjohn
12-03-2006, 10:16 PM
I have both RCBS and LYMAN Sizers and Dies. They seem to be interchangable to me.

John.

beagle
12-04-2006, 11:11 PM
And, so do Lachmillers if you happen to run into any of them./beagle