PDA

View Full Version : How much invested in Casting

44 WCF
03-26-2011, 08:58 PM
A young engineer type with his wife stopped by today and asked how much I had invested in casting stuff,,,,,,,,,,,,my wife was standing there too,,,,,,,,,my reply..

Well now, . RCBS moulds 50 cents each, SAECO 4 cavity $1.25 RCBS Pro Melt furncace $19.00..so with my Master Caster from Magma Engineering, 18 Magma moulds, 25 Lyman Moulds, 6 SAECO 4 cavity moulds, 10 RCBS moulds, 1200 lls of smelted wheel weights, 500 lbs of 92-2-6 alloy from Midway a 100,000 BTU smelting furnace, 12 7 lb ingot moulds, 20 lbs of fluxing Crisco, 10 lbs of Grebel litter for flux soaking,,,,,,,,,and other stuff,,,,,,,,,,I have a about a $33.00 investment in casting equipment,,,,,,,,,,,,Now,,if you have to spend the same amount at the furniture store as you have bullet casting equipment,,how much do you have invested?

Beagler
03-26-2011, 09:04 PM
good answer with the wife present! I got lucky and married a prison guard so the more rounds and guns we have the bigger her smile gets

Dframe
03-26-2011, 09:07 PM
I couldn't even begin to calculate it. I like YOUR answer.

44 WCF
03-26-2011, 09:14 PM
My neighbor wants to know if your wife has a sister who is single

W.R.Buchanan
03-26-2011, 09:15 PM
I don't think about this until tax time comes and then I write off all of my tools that are in my machine shop. It doesn't matter what they make they are tools.

My wife does the taxes but she doesn't know bullet mould from a drill bit, and I HAVE tried to educate her.

I guess she doesn't care. We don't have kids, just two Cats, so I'm having fun while I still can.

Randy

BulletFactory
03-26-2011, 09:28 PM
Around 1200

Beagler
03-26-2011, 09:35 PM
Yeah! but I wouldn't touch her with a 10 foot pole!!!

oldracer
03-26-2011, 09:36 PM
In the past many years of having lots of hobbies I have found two things to occur:
First: it can expand to take all your spare time......and
Second: it can take any and all spare or perceived spare $$$$$$ you have.

I found a long time ago to never try to add up the costs of something like my guitars, racing motorcycles, racing bicycles, racing sports cars and now shooting BPCR but to just enjoy whatever it is. My wife never asks and I never ask her what she spends on her purses or jewelery or shoes.....

Frank46
03-26-2011, 10:36 PM
There is an old saying "the only difference between men and boys is the cost of their toys" Now having said that I started with a lyman 10lb pot, lubrisizer, and 1 mole for the 45-70. when I shuttle off this mortal coil the wife has already told me that she'll lock the door on my toy room and do a lot of internet research on what I have. plus all receipts for firearms are stored. Frank

plainsman456
03-26-2011, 10:47 PM
I traded 50 bales for my casting outfit.
I got 2 pots 1 10 lb and 1 20 lb,about 24 molds,2 lube/sizers 1 star and 1 RCBS,a bunch of lube and many sizer dies,2 number 1 cans of boolits for the 45 acp and 40 S&W and a bunch of other reloading stuff.
I sell hay for 7.50 per bale.
All i was looking for was some stuff to cast 45 boolits.I think that I got my one good deal of my lifetime.

plainsman456
03-26-2011, 10:49 PM
OH,sense I got into this stuff I have bought 3 molds and some more sizers.
It can get to be a habbit.

10x
03-26-2011, 11:24 PM
A young engineer type with his wife stopped by today and asked how much I had invested in casting stuff,,,,,,,,,,,,my wife was standing there too,,,,,,,,,my reply..

Well now, . RCBS moulds 50 cents each, SAECO 4 cavity $1.25 RCBS Pro Melt furncace $19.00..so with my Master Caster from Magma Engineering, 18 Magma moulds, 25 Lyman Moulds, 6 SAECO 4 cavity moulds, 10 RCBS moulds, 1200 lls of smelted wheel weights, 500 lbs of 92-2-6 alloy from Midway a 100,000 BTU smelting furnace, 12 7 lb ingot moulds, 20 lbs of fluxing Crisco, 10 lbs of Grebel litter for flux soaking,,,,,,,,,and other stuff,,,,,,,,,,I have a about a $33.00 investment in casting equipment,,,,,,,,,,,,Now,,if you have to spend the same amount at the furniture store as you have bullet casting equipment,,how much do you have invested?

If you will send me your wife's email I will pay her triple that plus shipping.
She will be so proud and you can replace those tools and have some left over....

btroj
03-26-2011, 11:39 PM
I refuse to even ponder the question. I don't thinkof it in terms of money but rather in terms of the enjoyment I get out of it.
Rifle magazine had an article that contained a quote that sums up my feelings . A cynic is a person who knows the cost of everything but the value of nothing. My casting stuff has more a value than a price. It is my hobby. It is who I am. How can I put a dollar value on that?

BOOM BOOM
03-27-2011, 12:41 AM
HI,
A LOT.
BUT, I AM STILL SAVING MONEY.
YOU SEE I LIKE TO SHOOT..........
A WHOLE LOT.:Fire::Fire:

tommygirlMT
03-27-2011, 02:51 AM
Provided one is geting a positive ROI --- then how much one has invested is a mute point provided you havn't over extended yourself and are having to decide whether to pay your group buy bills or your morgage --- if you are overspending to the point where you dont have money left to pay your other bills --- then yes you may have a problem --- but otherwise its not a question of investment but rather ROI

BulletFactory
03-27-2011, 04:39 AM
still paid itself off over store bought bullets

Southern Son
03-27-2011, 06:20 AM
Not nearly enough. I thinkthat tommygirlMT hit the nail on the head, so long as there is food in the pantry and the mortgage is paid, then whatever I spend on casting/shooting is all good.

Olevern
03-27-2011, 11:14 AM
I had quite a little invested in casting before I found this site, now the group buys have gotten me addicted and I'm quickly going broke :-)

blasternank
03-27-2011, 11:21 AM
I like your answer! Whenever I buy a new gun I always tell her I bought it for her! She snarles and says, "whatever"! Or something like that. I'm getting into casting slowly but it seems to be starting to snowball since I was introduced to this forum!

theperfessor
03-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Not nearly as much as I've spent on machine tools to make my own molds, so I could save money on molds, which I first bought to save money shooting by making my own bullets!

Now I'm so busy making things I don't have enough time to shoot...

bearcove
03-27-2011, 01:23 PM
Not nearly as much as I've spent on machine tools to make my own molds, so I could save money on molds, which I first bought to save money shooting by making my own bullets!

Now I'm so busy making things I don't have enough time to shoot...

Thats where I'm heading.

$3000 for a lathe, and shopping for a milling machine. then tooling for both I figure another $5000 and I'll be able to make a decent single cavity mold.:lol: LOL :lol:

theperfessor
03-27-2011, 02:39 PM
Actually, my tools have pretty much paid for themselves already. And they're all in good working shape, so I can continue to use them to make more stuff.

But that first piece is mighty expensive...

Mike W1
03-27-2011, 03:39 PM
More invested than I care to think about. But having just acquired a 9mm for the first time it didn't take me long to figure out that I won't be shooting it enough to justify H&I die, top punch, a mould and handle for it. That's $140+ and would take quite a stack of bullets for a payback. I'm just gonna buy the ones I need for this one!

BulletFactory
03-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Just show them the math.

40$/ 100 box .40 cal, 2x/week, 2x/month = 160$/month

7000 grains/pound, 6 grains/round = 1166 rounds /30$ = .025$/round
+ 4.50$/100 primers = .05$/round
.025$+.05=~.07$/round, assuming you're keeping your brass, and catching your alloy=
$7.00/ 100 rounds.

You (make) 30$ every time you go shoot a hundred rounds, so your reloading makes you about 135$ per month! at this rate, you should be allowed to shoot even more often than you do.

BulletFactory
03-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Now that's some D.C. mathematics.

RP
03-27-2011, 06:33 PM
I have more in casting stuff then I do my pickup. Is that bad ?

BulletFactory
03-27-2011, 06:40 PM
no, I paid 1300 for my last car, and 1800 for my last gun.

pstew
03-27-2011, 06:42 PM
Let me know when you are selling it all off ...... at cost

casterofboolits
03-27-2011, 07:48 PM
In excess of $15,000.00, but it was all paid for when I had my boolit business.

Three RCBS 10 kilo pots, three Stars, three master Casters, Magma Lube master, four cavity lyman, Saeco and H&G moulds. Six cavity H&G, eight cavity H&G and Saeco's. Thirty Magma two cavity moulds. Over 100 various moulds total.

Thinking of having a big sale soon.

10x
03-27-2011, 07:49 PM
Just show them the math.

40$/ 100 box .40 cal, 2x/week, 2x/month = 160$/month

7000 grains/pound, 6 grains/round = 1166 rounds /30$ = .025$/round
+ 4.50$/100 primers = .05$/round
.025$+.05=~.07$/round, assuming you're keeping your brass, and catching your alloy=
$7.00/ 100 rounds.

You (make) 30$ every time you go shoot a hundred rounds, so your reloading makes you about 135$ per month! at this rate, you should be allowed to shoot even more often than you do.

So how do I put that $135.00 in the new gun account at the bank and why do I always end up with less money at the end of the month? This sounds suspiciously like Democrat math....

Kirk Miller
03-27-2011, 08:22 PM
When my sweet wife asks me," how much do you have invested in all of your stuff?". I simply reply, " I'm not sure, but whatever you do, DON'T sell it for what I told you I paid for it".

HighHook
03-28-2011, 02:37 AM
My wife once in a while shakes her head and i have to quickly change the subject somehow...

hansumtoad
03-28-2011, 09:55 AM
Once upon a time I carefully totaled up the cost of a weekend pheasant hunt. Everything amortized out in cost per day and down to the cost per bird.... gun, shells, gas, food, dog, dog food, vet bills, reloading equipment, motel, clothing, boots, license, gifts for the landowner,blah, blah, blah.

Never went pheasant hunting again. They sell the at the local butcher shop fresh or smoked.

hansumtoad
03-28-2011, 09:58 AM
I don't want to know how much I have invested.

10x
03-28-2011, 10:31 AM
My wife once in a while shakes her head and i have to quickly change the subject somehow...

I pointed out to my wife that it is a much better hobby than the red headed divorcee who lives across the street and keeps calling for "handiman help". Cheaper too....

Nick2010
03-28-2011, 11:52 AM
i actually started cheap, 200 bucks or so, but the for some reason i always keep buying stuff....never stops lol.

10x
03-28-2011, 12:04 PM
i actually started cheap, 200 bucks or so, but the for some reason i always keep buying stuff....never stops lol.

My first real mold was a lee - about $9.00 and the lee lube sizer (involved a hammer and a block of wood with a hole in it for the bullet drop- about $7.00)
my very first mold was a .311 hole drilled in a 3/4" square stock, the molten lead sprue was scraped off and inertia was the method of getting the bullet out. Lubing was pan lubing in a beeswax johnson paste wax mix and the cutter was a 303 casing with the base cut off.
Powder was Unique - and the loader was a lee poundo hand tool.
These bullets took every thing from ruffed grouse to the occasional deer - the lead was from battery posts salvaged at the dump from a nearby town.

I now have the equivalent of small luxury automobile tied up in molds and equipment - but I don't smoke and I consume less than $20.00 worth of alcohol in a year, I gotta have some faults.

mroliver77
03-29-2011, 12:01 AM
My first set up was a Lee mold that Willbird gave me along with a Lyman ladle with a burnt handle. I scrounged an old sauce pan and a propane burner from a camper stove. A bottle of Alox and I was making cheap boolits that shot as good as condoms.
I am a tool junkie and do have quite a bit invested into my casting, loading, shop etc. I dont go to bars or smoke or even date. My toys keep me entertained. No television or sports for me. I would rather run the lathe or make my own wood splitter, car trailer, generator, mower deck etc. I read and learn more about using my tools. So like others the $$ is insignificant. The ROI is lifesaving!
Jay

fredj338
03-29-2011, 02:35 PM
Ha! Key word is INVESTMENT. Unlike her shoes, your casting stuff has value years after you have used it & grown tired of the color. Dozen + molds, two Lee BP pots, Star sizer, Magam caster, yeah it's a lot of money, but when I die, it's worth mor than when I bought it.

Harter66
03-29-2011, 07:44 PM
The only person that seems to care around my place is the 21 year old step son that's never had any thing or collection of things valued over $5000 and can't grasp the concept that I've the WWI dog tags and luie bars that were my great grandfathers because they let me touch my heritage.

Sorry lil' rant.......er....:

7 or8 LEEs, 2 Lymans,an RCBS, 5 presses ,a dozen die sets,turkey burner,10# LEE pot,1000# of asst lead,a dozen custom neck expanders/bellers,even more.......

Leadmelter
03-29-2011, 08:06 PM
I tried to catalog my stuff for the last two years. Everytime I think I am done, I buy something.
As for my casting stuff, I am still using my RCBS furnace that I paid about $100 buck for new back in the day.
As I told my children when they ask what is in that room, "Have fun sorting it out when I am gone."
Enjoy it all!
Gerry

BorderBrewer
03-29-2011, 08:22 PM
"I read and learn more about using my tools. So like others the $$ is insignificant. The ROI is lifesaving!"
Jay

Exactly!!!

Rooster
03-29-2011, 09:45 PM
Shhhhhhhhh!!!!! She's right over there!

Az Rick
03-29-2011, 09:53 PM
$1.98,... why?, because as a young lad I would ask my Dad, how much was that, or what does that cost. His reply was always $1.98. Go figure! However, I do have about that much in my equipment minus,... well lets see.....

mold maker
03-29-2011, 10:38 PM
I couldn't care less. Like others have said, I don't drink, smoke, play golf, play cards, or chase skirts. What else is there besides casting and reloading???

jim147
03-29-2011, 11:57 PM
I don't want to know how much I have invested.

I don't either. And I sure don't want my wife to know.

jim

white eagle
03-30-2011, 12:22 AM
to much to put on paper

Longwood
03-30-2011, 01:08 AM
Shhhhhhhhh!!!!! She's right over there!
Yeah,,,, and she's not even looking at the junk she paid way too much for and all it does is sit on the shelf and look purdy.
Go figer!

capreppy
03-30-2011, 08:05 AM
I just got into firearms for the first time since I was in the Army.

My wife bought me an SA XDm .45ACP for my birthday in November of last year. Bought the first 200 rounds from Cheaper Than Dirt (they aren't really cheaper than dirt, but my SA was $100 less than Cabela's and only a little more than Bud's and I wanted immediate satisfaction).

I got into reloading in January when I realized I couldn't find ammo to go to the range. I had already been limiting myself to just 100 rounds per range trip due to the cost of ammo. Since I started reloading in late January, I've shot 2.5k rounds at the range and my accuracy has definitely improved. My wife asked me how much all of this cost. I told her it was a pittance and that the rounds I've already shot has paid for the press and all of the tools (minor white lie as I probably need another 2k rounds for it to pay for itself). The goal in reloading was to shoot more for as much (or preferably less) than what I paid for in commercial ammo. I also wanted a bullet that was tailored to my weapon. I've accomplished both.

I currently BUY (gasp!!!) my bullets from Missouri Bullet Company (MBC). I have plans to start casting my own in the next few months. I want to keep shooting more and this is the next evolution of reloading.

I started reloading with a Hornady LnL AP and not on a Single Stage. I took my time to learn it and had a local mentor to help me through any kinks in the process. I prefer to be at the range more than reloading. I can churn out 500 rounds per sitting without much effort and it doesn't take too much time away from the family.

With casting, slow and steady (due to the learning curve and safety) is key BUT, I do want production as I like going to the range. I have more money (usually) than time. I travel for work and am normally gone Mon thru Thu out of state and on occassion out of the country.

I'll start with a 2 cavity die to figure things out, but really want to get a couple of Accurate molds for .45ACP & one in 9mm (don't own a 9mm yet, but I promised myself one before the end of summer). I've got my list of things I want already bookmarked and as the funds are available, I'll purchase a little at a time. I believe in buying once by thoroughly researching a topic and getting the best that I can afford. I also believe in tools that increase productivity, but are still safe. With that being said, a Star Lubriziser is definitely in my future.

I've checked with a lot of the usual suspects for finding lead and pretty much have given up. I'll buy from one of the sponsors here. This has the added benefit of not having to smelt. Sure I'll pay a little more than if I went and found lead on my own, but my goal is more time at the range. In the end, it is still cheaper than buying bullets from any manufacturer.

So how much do I have invested? I told my wife: a pittance. In reality, it is still a pittance compared to the joy of shooting my own rounds and the peace and serenity of range time.

onesonek
03-30-2011, 08:18 AM
Provided one is geting a positive ROI --- then how much one has invested is a mute point provided you havn't over extended yourself and are having to decide whether to pay your group buy bills or your morgage --- if you are overspending to the point where you dont have money left to pay your other bills --- then yes you may have a problem --- but otherwise its not a question of investment but rather ROI

Indeed!

zdogk9
03-30-2011, 08:31 AM
In the past many years of having lots of hobbies I have found two things to occur:
First: it WILL expand to take all your spare time......and
Second: it WILL take any and all spare or perceived spare $$$$$$ you have.

Fixed it for you

GLL
03-30-2011, 11:10 AM
Like others have said, I don't drink, smoke, play golf, play cards, or chase skirts.

I do not smoke, play golf, or play cards either ! :) :)

Jerry

Centaur 1
03-30-2011, 11:53 AM
I've only been doing this for just about a year now. I got a deal on my lead, a friend works at a range and he gives it to me. I just have to smelt it all and give him half back as ingots. I have about 600 lbs now. I bought a Lee 4-20 pot from Bass Pro Shops using reward points that I got from using my BPS credit card. I've spent $200 on molds, a case expanding die and 3 Lee push through sizing dies. Total investment so far is $275. The real value comes when reloading my cast boolits; with primers at $30/1000 and getting 2000 rounds per pound of Bullseye. That's $40 per thousand for .380, 9mm, and .38 spl.

lawboy
04-01-2011, 04:53 AM
Not sure. Several years ago I spent about two years buying out reloading and casting equipment and reselling it. Someone's father, grandfather, what ever, would die and the son, grandson, etc. who did not shoot and did not want it would put it up for sale. I would buy the entire shop, keep what I wanted and sell the rest, most of it on Ebay. Made about $15k over two years and build myself a fabulous casting/reloading shop while doing it. I've owned at least 120 presses of all types, 500-600 moulds, countless lube sizers, cannalure tools, hundreds of die sets, etc. Tried everything, kept what I wanted and pocketed $15k. Mind you, it was A LOT of work but I ain't complaining!