PDA

View Full Version : Stevens rifles for $270 at Wal Mart

Oldfeller
05-29-2005, 10:48 PM
Savage has a pretty neat trick that they do periodically -- they resurrect the Stevens brand name and peddle the older style Savage 110 rifles under it.

Right now they have done so again and Wal Mart is distributing the long action Savage as a "cut rate" Stevens rifle. The price for the NON-Accu-trigger gun is about $260 and the cartridges currently covered are the long action 25-06, 270, 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Winchester Mag. $270 for a Stevens is a whole lot better than $425 for the normal trigger Savage 110 was just a few months ago.

If you want Accu-trigger, plan to pay an additional $200 for it when buying the "slightly more expensive new standard Savage 110".

Savage shoots better than it looks .... remember how everyone was searching a while back for the older Savage guns that sold so durn cheaply in the distant past? Guns that now cost more than $200 used (in fair shape) when you can find them at all?

History repeats itself periodically. Expect to see some short action Stevens guns at Wally World before long. I bet we could all pool together and get a short run of 35 caliber Stevens guns built if we all wrote in to Savage about it. Tell them boys at Savage that some 35 caliber short light "youth rifles" are needed by beleagered trout fishermen so they can protect themselves from marauding bears or some such story ..... then we get our WalMarts to order us one fer cheap once there is a catalog number in existance to order.

How would a full length $260 Stevens 35 Whelen or short action 358 Winchester suit you guys? Just the thing to go along with those six holer 180 grain Lar slug LEE molds that are being ordered.

Oldfeller

David R
05-30-2005, 07:46 AM
I like the idea, but the last savage 110 I had in 7mm mag had the chamber off centere with the bore. I had to mark my brass and only chamber it one way or the bolt wouldn't open after I fired it. I did get my moneys worth out of it, It was when I started reloading and HAD to load everything max or close to it. Shot the barrel out after a couple of thousand rounds. I also have a 24V, 222 over 20 guage. It would be perfect for cast boolits, but the bore is rough and I am afraid of some serious leading. I have not tried it yet, but its a project. I love that gun and have shot a ton of game with it including a running deer at 150 yards. It went another 25 yards and colapsed. Many partridge, uncountable squirrel, woodchucks, and a few rabbits. This gun had problems too. The first one had a crack in the 222 chamber and would break open when fired. The gunsmith sent it back and they sent a new one. It works fine except the rough bore. Shoots J*ck*t*d fine. I have a reciever site on it and even won a slug shoot with it.

Bass Ackward
05-30-2005, 08:02 AM
How would a full length $260 Stevens 35 Whelen or short action 358 Winchester suit you guys? Just the thing to go along with those six holer 180 grain Lar slug LEE molds that are being ordered.

Oldfeller

Kelly,

I'll go you one better. Midway is closing out there A&B barrel line. $90 get's you a 35 Whelen barrel. $90 gets you a 6.5X55 with a normal throat. Why for $150 you can have a 223 Ackley and the give you a wrench and the guages. If you want a .338 or a 375H&H, get it. Just buy a bolt head head for the bolt and you are in business. Takes another 15 minutes to change the bolt head.

So if you buy a $260 gun and go buy the barrels you want you can sell your entire gun safe and have one gun that can be many in just 10 minutes if you use quick tip off rings. They are finished and chambered. They are plop and drop. All you need is a Wheeler wrench and a go guage. All available at Midway.

Oldfeller
05-30-2005, 09:07 AM
Yeah, then where would you be? All done, that's what you would be. That would be just terrible, more than half our hobby is searching out then fixing up the old guns we occasionally find .....

Anyway, the only way to justify this trick would be to locktite or pin the barrel nut in perfect postion for a perfect headspaced chamber length, then fix up some way to turn the barrels into place from the muzzle end without taking the gun all apart. Still, your zero would change from barrel to barrel.

Plus, if I had a 35 Whelen then I couldn't be a whelen basher any more.

That would spoil a whole lot of fun.

Bad Bass --- bad bad bad idea.

<g>

Oldfeller

Bass Ackward
05-30-2005, 01:55 PM
Kelly,

<<Plus, if I had a 35 Whelen then I couldn't be a whelen basher any more.>>

You're right. You are absolutely right. Yep! Why end the dream? I curse the day I got mine. :grin:

Just like my Harley. I shoulda stayed with that 360cc. A couple of blowers and maybe some nitrous ........

lar45
06-04-2005, 01:25 AM
I think they look pretty good. My son is getting a short action 7-08 for his mother's birthday next week.(ex-wife) I'd go for a 358 win, maybe even 2.

lar45
06-10-2005, 06:48 PM
We stopped in at Walmart to see if they had any of the Steven's rifles. They didn't, but they did have a Mossberg bolt action for $244 The are only availible in 270 and 30-06. I think I read somewhere that the Mossberg action is similar to the Rem 700. I wonder if a rem takeoff barrel will fit them?

The guy at the counter let me look at their catalog and said they would do special orders.

hmmmm??

Scrounger
06-10-2005, 07:00 PM
We stopped in at Walmart to see if they had any of the Steven's rifles. They didn't, but they did have a Mossberg bolt action for $244 The are only availible in 270 and 30-06. I think I read somewhere that the Mossberg action is similar to the Rem 700. I wonder if a rem takeoff barrel will fit them?

The guy at the counter let me look at their catalog and said they would do special orders.

hmmmm??

Lar, here's a web page showing what guns and hunting eqipt. Walmart has available::http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=4155&path=0%3A4125%3A4155

David R
07-21-2005, 05:11 PM
At Wally world in the catalog, I found a Stevens model 200 Blue with a synthetic stock. $268, cal 308 which is what I want for Cast Boolits. Is this an old 110? What would I have to get for a wood stock, I don't like plastic stocks even if they claim to be better.

lar45
07-22-2005, 02:44 PM
I wonder if one of the Boyds stocks would fit it?
Maybe email them and ask.

David R
07-22-2005, 05:24 PM
Who is boyds?

I am not a big savage fan, but I have a couple. I am going to order the 308. I was going to have my Remington 788 660(?) in 243 rebarreled to 308, but the gunsmith wanted $550.00. Hmmm, I can buy a new one for 1/2 that and sell the 243. I have to do this because I bought the group buy 30 cal mold and need a rifle for it. :)

Buckshot
07-23-2005, 08:01 AM
.............Boyds gunstocks. Just do a search and put that in. You'll get them. $550 to re-barrel a rifle? Jay-zuz, there HAS to have been some miss-understanding in there somewhere!

..............Buckshot

David R
07-23-2005, 09:37 AM
Buckshot, maybe I should look for another gunshmidt? I can buy a brand new Remington for $600.

Scrounger
07-23-2005, 11:31 AM
Buckshot, maybe I should look for another gunshmidt? I can buy a brand new Remington for $600.

We had a long discussion on this subject a month or so ago. There were a lot of points mentioned. Bottom line, since the government doesn't dictate the prices he can charge, he can charge any amount he wants. The customer decides whether to use his services or not. I would definitely say "NOT". Sell the gun on AuctionArms, buy a new one. Some real good deals come up on AuctionArms (http://www.auctionarms.com/ ), also on the Classified pages at
Greybeard's
(http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=58&start=0) and
Accurate Reloading.
(http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/ubb.x?a=frm&s=518103&f=2711043)