PDA

View Full Version : Saeco moulds / handle question

JFE
12-02-2006, 07:49 AM
Can someone help on this please.

Do RCBS and Lyman handles fit Saeco moulds ?

Thanks

Joe

Frank46
12-02-2006, 07:57 AM
According to themidway catalog all saeco mold haandles will fit all saeco molds. I do not remember hearing about any other mold mfgr'a handles fitting their molds. Hope this helps. Frank

imashooter2
12-02-2006, 08:28 AM
No they won't.

chunkum
12-02-2006, 11:10 AM
It's pretty easy to modify the large Lee handles or the RCBS handles for the Saeco moulds. Get a small chainsaw or rat-tail file and file out the holes toward the ourside (thicker part) of the handles. Try your Saeco screws in them periodically until they go in and out easily. With some moulds such as the NEI's, the Lee's are sometimes a tad thick for the slots. Judicious use of a flat bastard file (on the handles) will take care of this pretty easily. The larger holes in the altered RCBS handles doesn't handicap them for use with the RCBS moulds. At least they continue to work fine for these for me.
Best Regards,
chunkum

madcaster
12-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Chunkum,
I do a modification with Lee handles to fit Lyman 4 cavity moulds,I grind the thickness to fir the mould slots.I just like the way it opens better.
Jeff.

chunkum
12-02-2006, 12:21 PM
madcaster,
Interesting modification. I hadn't considered the switch but it might very well turn out to be the cat's pajamas! I am not a bulk caster and have only one Lyman four cavity mould but, if I get another, I'll ponder on just what that kind of switch might entail.
c.

Dale53
12-02-2006, 04:02 PM
I have often thought of changing the Lyman four cavity handles to the Lee's (modified). Your comments may just push me in that direction. I do not like the way Lyman's four cavity handles open, either.

Dale53

montana_charlie
12-02-2006, 04:18 PM
Get a small chainsaw or rat-tail file and file out the holes...
I don't have a rat-tail file, so I tried it with the smallest chainsaw I own. It's hard to describe the result...
Now, I just use those handles for squeezing on quarter-pound split shot, when I go for trout on Flathead Lake.
CM

chunkum
12-02-2006, 07:05 PM
montana_charlie,
It does require a certain amount of finesse and patience. It's regretable that you somehow "misfiled". Write it off to experience, I reckon. At least you've overcome your sinker squeezing hurdle.
Best Regards,
chunkum

Wayne Smith
12-02-2006, 10:15 PM
I just drilled out the Lee holes with numbered bits until the screws fit. Forget which bit was the last one.

MGySgt
12-03-2006, 12:29 AM
I drilled out the RCBS for the Saeco molds a long time ago. Those handles have had Saeco, RCBS, LBT and Mountain Mold in them since without a problem.

It worked for me.

Drew

JFE
12-03-2006, 03:02 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I didnt really want to buy another set of handles. I fire up that chainsaw now and get to work.....

Joe