PDA

View Full Version : What is the proper way to cast a chamber?

scb
03-26-2011, 11:10 AM
What is the proper way to cast a chamber?

The way I do it is:
From the muzzle plug the bore with a cleaning patch.

Push the patch towards the chamber.

I stop the patch about an inch from the front of the chamber. This way I can mic the grooves and measure the throat.

I have my bench vice set up so I can clamp the barreled action with the muzzle pointed straight at the floor.

I leave the cleaning rod in the barrel, against the plug, with either the other end on the floor or blocked up from the floor to support the plug.

I then take molten Cero-Safe and fill the chamber.

Wait for it to cool and push out.

I would recommend against using anything other than Cero-Safe. Cero-Safe melts at a little over 200 degrees and if for some reason you can't get the plug out (badly pitted, jugged or ringed chamber or bore) you can melt it out with a heat gun and not run the risk of damaging the metal from over heating.

pearson1662
03-26-2011, 04:05 PM
Thanks, SCB!

That sounds easy enough.

Jay

nanuk
03-26-2011, 08:08 PM
as Cerrosafe shrinks as it ages for the first few days, can you use the chamber cast as an impact cast and hammer down the bore portion?

or is it just too hard of a material?

midnight
05-19-2011, 01:26 PM
scb has it just about right. I'll just add a few tips to make the job easier.

1) Remove the barreled action from the stock. It acts as a heat sink in step 2.
2) Use an old hair drier to warm the chamber area.
3) Use modeling clay or something similar to form a dam around the rim. Fill any extractor cut
with the clay or else you will have difficulty removing the cast.

Get the chamber area as warm as you can to get a good fillout. Just like casting bullets.

Bob

frankenfab
05-19-2011, 05:24 PM
Why does it have to be an "old" hair dryer?:kidding:

midnight
05-19-2011, 07:32 PM
When I got divorced many years ago I got custody of several hair driers. They were old then and are even older now, thus the "old " reference. I havn't had any hair to dry for 50yrs.

Bob

gwozdz
06-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Where can one purchase this stuff? And Does it shink a lot?

sundog
06-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Sulfur and powdered graphite. Won't shrink. But, need to be careful that it does not ignite while melting.

scb
06-03-2011, 05:04 PM
Where can one purchase this stuff? And Does it shink a lot?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=384/Product/CERROSAFE_reg__CHAMBER_CASTING_ALLOY

"Shrinkage" is addressed in the description. Rotometals (site sponsor at the top of this page) has a low melting point material as well but I've never used it.

redneckdan
06-27-2011, 10:15 AM
as Cerrosafe shrinks as it ages for the first few days, can you use the chamber cast as an impact cast and hammer down the bore portion?

or is it just too hard of a material?

I just recently picked up a pound of the rotometals stuff. Did several revolver throats, a couple of contender chambers and plan on fiddling with a couple rifles later in the week. Once you try this you will never go back to impact slugging. I sure won't. This page shows the expansion factors in inches per square inch. http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/chamber_casting_alloy_1_pound.htm

popper
08-17-2012, 12:11 PM
I've also heard that paraffin works. I assume the chamber needs to be lubed before using. Anyone here try it? Results any good?

OLPDon
01-19-2013, 02:56 PM
Link from back in 2009 Post #7 gives detail on srinkage ect/

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?52334-Cerrosafe
Don