PDA

View Full Version : Bullet question

MikeACP
03-25-2011, 11:12 AM
I was looking at some bullet molds from Lee. Some have a notation,that they are "tunmble lube." Does this mean these can only be lubed this way?

Doby45
03-25-2011, 12:09 PM
No you can lube tumble lube boolits with traditional lube, but the TL boolits are optimized for the tumble lube process. I would recommend a traditional lube groove mold as you can still tumble lube them if that is your current wish and use them in a lubrisizer later if you want.

As it has been stated before, tumble lube boolits and the process of tumble lubing works, but it narrows your window of success.

Bosshaug
03-25-2011, 12:24 PM
I have a Lee mold that drops TL (tumble lube) boolits. I tried the tumble lube for awhile, but did not like the mess (lube all over the boolits). I have since been lubing them in the traditional way, in a lubrisizer. While there is a little less lube in the grooves, there are more grooves, so it seems to work out well. And I now have no lube in the exposed boolit after loading.

44man
03-25-2011, 05:49 PM
All of my TL boolits shoot best with Felix lube.

1Shirt
03-26-2011, 10:46 AM
Almost all of my TL's get lubed with White Lable Canuba Red. Every once in awhile I get foolish and do a batch with Lee mule snot, but then I remember why I go with Canuba Red, and don't do it again for a long while. Got to soon old, and to late smart.
1Shirt!:coffee:

fredj338
03-26-2011, 02:17 PM
Depending on how they cast, sizing in a luber/sizer may remove most of the TL grooves. If you even think of lube/sizing, I would pass on theTL design. You can TL any conventional cast bullet design.

MikeACP
03-26-2011, 03:01 PM
When I'm ready I'm goin with the Lyman 4500, most likely. So I'll stick with bullets made for that.

HeavyMetal
03-26-2011, 03:15 PM
This is a little off topic but if your going to by a lube sizer, and have not done so yet, don't buy anything but a Star unless you get a price so low that the sizer can be classed as FREE!

My order of desirablity in Lube Sizers is a follows:

Star

Saeco

RCBS

Everything else ever made!

I realize this may seem a bit lopsided but trust me once you use a Star, particularly for reload a 45 auto, you will never go back to anything else ever!

DanM
03-26-2011, 04:00 PM
Going against the grain here, but I really like the tumble lube boolits from Lee. I use them mostly in pistols and revos, but some rifles too. Tumble them in a large metal cookie tin, as many as you are comfortable with, and dump them out on heavy duty broiler weight Aluminum foil to dry. I have never found that the extra lube on the nose area had any effect on accuracy, just looks kinda dirty. There are drawbacks that should be mentioned. The lube will accumulate in your seater die and cause deep seating if you forget to clean the gunk from your die. This happens a little quicker with the TL boolits than regular grooved boolits, but not a problem if you are watching for it. Also, as with many mass produced molds, the Lee molds can run small. Usually not more than .001" small. Most of my Lee .45 molds run .451", so I beagle them up for a .452-3" drop. Those six cavity molds make a lot of boolits in a hurry, and the time saved makes up for any problems I have had. The push through sizer dies are fast and work great too. They shoot great for me. The cost savings over other dies and sizers can't be ignored either. Just don't assume that any mold will drop just right for your gun. Always slug your bores and mic your boolits for the best fit to your gun.

captaint
03-26-2011, 04:03 PM
I used to TL thousands of conventional groove boolits. It works OK. Now they all get the Star treatment. I'm much happier now. enjoy Mike

44man
03-26-2011, 04:26 PM
The TL boolits can be more accurate then a lot of others. The GG's are no problem at all if lubed right. Forget the Alox and do em right.
This is a .44 group at 50 yards with the RD using a good lube.