PDA

View Full Version : Home made lubri-sizer

KTN
12-01-2006, 06:32 PM
This is my new project.From these pieces of metal should come lubri-sizer that is cross between Lee,Lyman and Star lubri-sizers.From left,this block is where all other pieces will be attached,center is size die blank and on right is die boby,behind these is lube reservoir.All these parts are still more or less in blank stage.Add to these some nuts,bolts,springs and O-rings,lot more work and proper base punch and it should work (I hope):roll: .

Kaj

mag_01
12-01-2006, 08:33 PM
Looks like a beginning good luck--------Mag.

KTN
12-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Mag 01,
thanks,luck is always needed.
This is how it looks after todays work.Tomorrow I will make all the little bits needed,hone sizer die to correct diameter,make piston for lube reservoir and start looking for those springs that are needed.

Kaj

Buckshot
12-06-2006, 04:50 AM
...............A nice project, and it should be a fun one. Did you draw up a design before you started or are you flying by the seat of your pants?

...............Buckshot

carpetman
12-06-2006, 10:38 AM
Buckshot---It looks like he is using aircraft bits so I'd suspect he is flying by the seat of his pants---has to have a pilot someplace.

scrapcan
12-06-2006, 11:46 AM
We can use Rapid Prototyping as the new term for flying by the seat of your pants using cusomary machine tools. Everyone will ooh and aah, they don't need to know you don't have the radid prototype equipment that usesplastic strand to make a model.

KTN,
How are you planning to pressureize the lube reservoir? how do you plan to keep the lube from spilling out when base punch is withdrawn?

Make that thing use rcbs/lyman dies and you would have a great new toy to sell to the rest of us.

KTN
12-06-2006, 04:31 PM
Buckshot,
I designed it in my head and then made simple drawing with all the measurements,after that,improvise :-D .
This is how it SHOULD work.Base punch pushes boolit to correct depth in sizer die,aligning lube groove with lube holes while springs hold sizer die in place,base punch bottoms sizer die and pushes it up against springs and lube holes in sizer die alignes with lube groove in sizer body and lube flows to boolits groove.Springs push sizer die back so no lube can spill out,put next boolit on base punch and it pushes previous boolit out of the die.This is only my THEORY how it SHOULD work[smilie=1: .I will make spring loaded piston to pressurize the lube reservoir so that hopefully I don't need to be cranking lube pressure for every boolit:roll: .
Carpetman,
no cats,sheeps or buffalo chips involved in this project.

Kaj

Four Fingers of Death
12-06-2006, 07:28 PM
Nice looking work.

Bigjohn
12-06-2006, 09:02 PM
Great looking project; hope it works out.

Any idea when you will be starting production? :-D

John.

P.S.
I've re-read your description of the operation cycle; it sounds very simple to me and should work a treat.

toecutter
12-07-2006, 08:03 AM
Neat!

I'm guessing the flow control is done by the length of the punch. Do you need to have different length punches for different bullets? Or is everything "close enough"?

What would be really cool since it's a "hybrid" would be to have it fit that little lee plastic thing the bullets are pushed into when they come out of the lee sizing die.

scrapcan
12-19-2006, 11:48 AM
KTN,

Lookslike you are getting there with your homemade bullet making shop. I noticed you have the sizer painted up in the pictures under the gas check making tool thread.

Now you need to devise a way to use the lyman/rcbs dies in your press and start making them to sell. I am sure some of us on this side of the pond would like a set of your toys.

KTN
12-19-2006, 06:10 PM
Manleyjt,
thanks.At the moment I have too many projects under way to get anything finished soon,but I don't mind.I like designing and making these things myself (maybe even bit too much:roll: ).I tried to find somekind of blank piece to make cap to lube reservoir with no luck,so it looks I'm lathe turning it from 1"x1.6" steel bar (ofcourse I couldn't make it to fit any standard,ready made,threaded pipe part:mrgreen: ).Other distraction was my old shooting and hunting buddy asking me if I can make a buckshot mold (it was more like "it can't be done") so I made .31" round ball four cavity mold for him:twisted:.I tryto think up way to fit RCBS/Lyman dies to it and make it fit standard 7/8x14 presses.Thinking cap on[smilie=p: .(Sometimes I feel like Wile.E.Coyote with all these bad ideas)

Kaj

lar45
12-19-2006, 11:11 PM
Hi, most excellent looking work and I really like your idea for lube timeing. Here's an idea to adjust the lube timeing.
Make a bottom piece that it threaded onto your main spring loaded die holder. Then you can adjust it up and down to hit the lube grooves.
The lube could make the spring loaded action abit stiff. Maybe use a valve spring for the return pressure? Valve springs can be had in different force rateings also.

Very interesting.
Thanks for posting it.

scrapcan
07-22-2008, 04:03 PM
KTN,

Just bumping this back up as I think it is still a great idea. Any new pictures or changes to the luber sizer? As I see you are making moulds I am sure you are having to use this device once they drop lead in the proper shapes.

Also do you ahve a website where you are putting these projects up for the rest of the world to visit?

shooter93
07-22-2008, 08:09 PM
I don't see any pics

KTN
07-23-2008, 02:04 PM
manleyjt,

lube sizer is ready,but I must make some more sizing dies for it and find some time to cast boolits.
Last 12 months I have been building that indoor shooting range in my sparetime,so not much time for shooting,reloading or boolit casting,but I'm planning to catch up during winter.
Website :shock:? With my computer skills :oops: it's a little miracle that I can log in and post pictures here (BIG thanks to Buckshot for instructions,even I understood them:mrgreen:).

shooter93,

I removed pictures to make room for new pictures from new projects.Sorry you missed them.

Kaj

Buckshot
07-24-2008, 04:31 AM
..............KTN a shame you had to take your photo's down. I use www.fototime.com on the internet to host all my pics. It isn't free, but it's only $28U.S/year for something like 4 giga bytes. You can also upload videos. I must have several hundred photo's there and haven't even scratched my allowed space.

I just went and checked. I have 921 photo's and have used 2% of my space :-)

...................Buckshot

Morgan Astorbilt
07-24-2008, 07:50 PM
KTN, Why not go on Photobucket. It's free and has all the space in the world.
Morgan

KTN
07-25-2008, 04:39 AM
Buckshot,Morgan Astorbild,

as I said earlier......[smilie=1: me and computers:killingpc.
Need to get someone to show me how to do it.
I can make almost anything mechanical to work,but when there's computers involved........ :violin:

Kaj

Newtire
08-07-2008, 12:44 AM
The photobucket is pretty easy to use. My different sex partner (Californiaese for girlfriend) & I made some albums for her Mom & Dad for their birthdays. Only way to learn is to play with it a bit.