PDA

View Full Version : My 'New' Vintage Marlin Levergun (photos)

KirkD
03-24-2011, 11:13 AM
Ladies and gents, every once in a while, an old levergun comes along that has extra special appeal. It is a keeper for sure. This week, I added such a levergun to my modest collection, an original Marlin Model '94 Saddle Ring Carbine chambered in 38-40 and made sometime between 1916 and 1921. It is in very nice condition, with an excellent bore. I have not had time to go to the range yet, but plan to within the next couple weeks. The 38-40 is one of my favourite cartridges. Here are some photos .....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/3855Win/Desktop%20Photos/94-SRC.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/3855Win/Saddle-Ring-1.jpg

oldhickory
03-24-2011, 11:24 AM
Very nice indeed! I see a steady diet of boolits in on the menue.

JDL
03-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Dang Kirk, I'm going to have to start following you around! Those are some fine Marlins you are discovering, congrats.

45-70 Ranger
03-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Fine looking weapon. Glad it found a good home! Love that caliber.

Wade

KCSO
03-25-2011, 11:53 AM
Sears Roebuck in 1895 was selling those for $11.50 and I sure would have bought one! I've had 94's 93's and 1881's and I really like the Marlin's. If I would have had the opportunity to buy a new gun in 18?? I would have bought a Marlin. Currentlythe only Marln I have is a 1894 in 25-20 with a new barrel and a rebuilt action. I must have spent a hundred hours filing out a new locking block for that one.

357Mag
03-25-2011, 12:44 PM
KirkD.

Howdy !

Do you know / have you checked what the twist rate is ?

Also, what is the barrel length, again ?

Regards,
357Mag

KirkD
03-25-2011, 01:31 PM
The barrel length is the standard 20". I don't know the twist rate, but I still have to clean the bore .... it is full of dust. When I do I'll see if I can get an idea on the twist rate. My wife and I are leaving on a 5-day vacation tonight, so the bore cleaning will have to wait a bit longer. Judging from the accumulation of dust in the bore, this SRC has not been shot in decades.

JesterGrin_1
03-26-2011, 04:53 PM
Fine Ole Rifle you have there.

I am sure I have told this story before as to what sold me on Marlins but here it is again just maybe shorter lol.

Years ago when I was a kid I got to meet a Gentleman that my Grand Father knew that rode with Poncho Via and yes he was white lol. I got to go to his little 750,OOO Acre plot of land down in Mexico and he had a wall of at least 75 or so Winchesters and as many or more of old Colts. And I talked to him a bit about how he seemed to really like the Winchesters. And he told me they are ok for a rattle drag around rifle. But he said if I had some serious shooting to do I used a Marlin and he pulled out a very nice lined wood box with 6 Marlins in it. And you could tell he really took care of the Marlins. :)

Rio Grande
03-27-2011, 06:34 AM
That Pancho Villa story got me to thinking. Years back I worked with a young Hispanic man who owned a Win. Model '92 in 38-40 that (so the story goes) had belonged to his grandfather who rode w/ Villa. I got to shoot it. Great little rifle.
He pawned it and lost it. Didn't pay off the loan and interest. Somebody's got it now and doesn't even know the story.
Now that's a 'tale of woe' ain't it?

Jeff H
03-27-2011, 04:57 PM
That's beauty, for sure.
Marlins have a certain visual appeal to begin with and the patina does nothing but add to that.

JesterGrin_1
03-27-2011, 08:26 PM
That Pancho Villa story got me to thinking. Years back I worked with a young Hispanic man who owned a Win. Model '92 in 38-40 that (so the story goes) had belonged to his grandfather who rode w/ Villa. I got to shoot it. Great little rifle.
He pawned it and lost it. Didn't pay off the loan and interest. Somebody's got it now and doesn't even know the story.
Now that's a 'tale of woe' ain't it?

That is a sad story indeed.