PDA

View Full Version : How are Ranch Dogs PB bullets looking?

Canuck Bob
03-23-2011, 09:18 PM
I was lamenting that Ranch Dog didn't make PB molds. Went to his site and realized he has a set-up to cut out the GC shank area. Just wanted to know how accurate the cut is?

Hurricane
03-24-2011, 12:18 AM
The offer to make plain base boolits came only about a week ago. It is too early to get feedback from users but I think that the Ranch Dog will do a good job based on the care he gives to the molds he sells. A mold with 3 GC and 3 PB would be the thing to get if you are interested.

Ranch Dog
03-25-2011, 03:20 PM
It is too early to get feedback from users but I think that the Ranch Dog will do a good job based on the care he gives to the molds he sells.

Thanks for your kind words! There was a bit of a learning curve to get it right but all molds that have left the ranch should be a quality cut. If they are not, I will make it right like I do everything else. Honestly, I do not shoot plain base bullets but I wanted to offer the option. In about 90 days, I will see how it has worked out for me and whether the time spent on the task is worth the effort as it does take a bit of that to set up.

I actually decided to do this work in house so that I do not need to duplicate inventory between the two shank styles. I have a bunch of money tied up in this venture and doubling a single bullet design based on the shank style is not a good use of the funds available for that inventory. Too many other items waiting for inventory funding! Another issue with the double inventory is storage. It really takes a lot of space to keep these items in stock all the time. Managing storage space is a constant consideration.

Probably in the next few weeks I will sit down and cut the shank on a number of molds of a given desing in one sitting and offer them without the shank charge to see how they move. For an example, cut a number of the TLC311-165-RF blocks with all the cavities plain based for the same $60.

Have some good things coming out soon. My TLC411-255-RF will be available next week. This is a bullet for the 1894s chambered in 41 Mag. I know there is not a big demand there but as least I have the cartridge covered. Still working on the TLC359-175-RF for the 357 Mag. A slight adjustment is being made to this design and then I will have more information on my web site and this forum about it. Received my TLC311-170-RF for the 308 Marlin Express. Holy smoke, this is a slick looking bullet! There will be time next week for casting and setting up the load work. Again, another limited application bullet but this cartridge has been kicking my tail and I'm going to beat it. Don't count on this bullet to work in anything else. Finally, real Factory Crimp dies for the 357 Mag, 41 Mag, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt. In a little bit, I will be sitting down to complete the order. There will be something about them on my web site next week. These are not the Carbide Pistol Factory Crimp Dies.

The rest of the year will be spent keeping all my designs on the shelf and adding these:
25 ACP
32 ACP
308 Marlin Express
338 Marlin Express
357 Mag

MT Gianni
03-25-2011, 07:36 PM
I have a used one. 295 gr for 45 Colt. It is well done without any marks or lines. I don't have a Marlin 45 but hope to get a report on how they shoot out of a Blackhawk when it stops snowing.

catboat
03-25-2011, 09:08 PM
I have to comment about Ranch Dog. He always impresses me with the good information he shares with us on his posts, his incredible commitment to product development and getting very practical and high quality mold designs on the market in a very fast time frame.

His website is very informative. I can only imagine how much time he spends on his mold business. I presume he eats and sleeps at some point during the week, but I don't know how he squeezes it in.

If he keeps this up, he'll be bigger than Lee Precision. Thanks Ranch Dog. Keep up the great work.

Jech
03-25-2011, 10:23 PM
I am the proud owner of one of RanchDog's new TLC311-165-RF-3x3 moulds. The flat-based boolits are great for making pop cans dance and vanquishing furry pests!

I have had very good results with them, no leading and expected accuracy out of my pre-Remington Marlin 336ss 30-30. I cast them with waterquenched range lead, lube w/straight LLA, size to .310" then LLA lube again. Currently, I'm using Winchester brass trimmed to 2.033" and seating to 2.420", applying a moderate LFCD crimp on the ogive, charging with 7.2gr/Unique and standard WLR primers. This delivers ~1200fps and delivers 1.5-2moa accuracy up to 100yds.

One thing I will note: my 336 virtually has no throat at all and very little leade. I cannot use the recommended 2.481" OAL and crimp groove without significantly jamming the ogive into the rifling. By trimming my brass back to 1.94" and using a 2.420" OAL, I am able to use the crimp groove properly. Many rifles will not have this issue and will use the normal length...might have to bump up the charge a smidge.