PDA

View Full Version : First time casting

d.thomson
12-01-2006, 08:04 AM
Hay just cast my first boolits did preaty good. Im using a lee double real and .490 rb had good release acouple of frosted ones(mold to hot) and with the real ones wt of 315.3-316.1 gr and the rb 173.3-174.3. The only thing that was wrong was that they all had a line, rb the line was slightly protruding and with the real a slight ine indintation any whay of fixing it, will this efect the acuacy. Thanks for the feedback ahead of time. Dave T.

44man
12-01-2006, 08:58 AM
It sounds like you are using hard lead instead of pure lead. Pure lead won't frost!
If you are talking about the mold parting line around the ball, it won't hurt anything unless the blocks are not closing all the way and your balls are coming out larger.

1Shirt
12-01-2006, 09:53 AM
Agree with 44Man. Suggest that you get a Lyman Manual and read it relating to casting, and then talk with experianced casters with any questions you have. But I guess that is what you are doing here.
1Shirt!:coffee:

d.thomson
12-01-2006, 10:06 AM
Hay Im using lyman precast ingots with a B stamped on the back and i wiil mic the boolists thanks for the quick feedback i will get a book the frosting is only at the top portion of th real boolits and not on the rb.

Buckshot
12-01-2006, 11:43 AM
...............If you're using pure lead, which you should be to assure upsetting of the boolit into the grooves as was mentioned you won't get any frosting. You may run your furnace at warp factor 8. You may see some lizard skin colored hues on the slugs, but that's just heat.

One thing that has always amazed me about Lee moulds (at least when new, before abuse) is that normally the parting line is almost invisible. Usually, mostly :-). If you actually have a raised bead at the partng line I would check for some little bit of something holding the blocks apart.

It could also be lack of lube on the mateing vertical alignment surfaces. When hot they get sticky. Also make sure you don't have any lead around the steel alignment pin or it's mating slot on the opposing block.

.................Buckshot

Hunter
12-03-2006, 11:47 PM
Sometimes I will get a little slag inside my mold where it meets. That cause the molds to not fully close and can get that seam on the bullet. Be sure your molds clean. I read the Lyman Casting Manual and the casting section of the ABCs of Reloading before I ever got my pot hot.