PDA

View Full Version : How fast from wheel weight alloy?

Jerry Lester
11-30-2006, 11:26 PM
I've been playing around with my boolits again[smilie=1: .

I haven't really tried to get the absolute fastest velocity out of these 95g Saeco SWC's. I've pushed them up around 1000 fps with faster burning powders looking for that "magicaly" accurate load, but haven't really pushed them hard yet. With the results I've seen so far with this bullet in a limited assortment of mediums like wood, paper, and such, I'm begining to believe that I could get some very impressive terminal performance if the velocity was on up there a little. In soft pine, this bullet is expanding quite a bit at a muzzle velocity of only 800-900 fps. Granted, wood is harder than flesh, but it surprized me none the less. I'm figuring, if it's possible, this bullet could be a real killer on bobcat, and coyote sized critters with a muzzle velocity of 1200+ fps.

How fast can I push these wheel weight "boolits"? I realize that they'll definately require the right amount of the proper lube to achieve their potential, but I'm just curious about the maximum realistic velocity I could push them if all other factors are in order?

Thanks!

John Boy
11-30-2006, 11:47 PM
Wheel weights / clip-on
25,000 - Non-Magnum handgun loads, Rifles to 1,800 fps
Source: http://www.lasc.us/

piwo
11-30-2006, 11:57 PM
Wheel weights / clip-on
25,000 - Non-Magnum handgun loads, Rifles to 1,800 fps
Source: http://www.lasc.us/

The velocity issue has to do with projectiles and the necessity for "gas check" additions, correct? I'm only learning here, and I've read other references to the need for a "gas check". Since I don't cast anything but roundball with a patch between the ball and the fire, I'm presuming this discussion is moot for my purposes, yes?

waksupi
12-01-2006, 12:56 AM
I've been playing around with my boolits again[smilie=1: .

I haven't really tried to get the absolute fastest velocity out of these 95g Saeco SWC's. I've pushed them up around 1000 fps with faster burning powders looking for that "magicaly" accurate load, but haven't really pushed them hard yet. With the results I've seen so far with this bullet in a limited assortment of mediums like wood, paper, and such, I'm begining to believe that I could get some very impressive terminal performance if the velocity was on up there a little. In soft pine, this bullet is expanding quite a bit at a muzzle velocity of only 800-900 fps. Granted, wood is harder than flesh, but it surprized me none the less. I'm figuring, if it's possible, this bullet could be a real killer on bobcat, and coyote sized critters with a muzzle velocity of 1200+ fps.

How fast can I push these wheel weight "boolits"? I realize that they'll definately require the right amount of the proper lube to achieve their potential, but I'm just curious about the maximum realistic velocity I could push them if all other factors are in order?

Thanks!

Jerry, I was going to 2680 with my .223, and getting groups of around 1.25" consistantly. This was with wheel weights, a tablespoon or so of shot added, and water quenched. I believe there are others that surpass 3000 fps with enhanced ww's.

Will
12-01-2006, 07:57 AM
My air cooled WW bullets tend to open up the groups at about 1600fps for plain base and 1800-2000 for gas checked. At 2300 I start to get elongated holes in the target and above 2500 I get some bullets hitting sideways at 100yds. The harder the bullet the more pressure it will withstand; Thus water dropped or heat treated are another story. The pressure is the problem not the velocity, so some variations will exist between calibers. You shouldn't have any problem with any load below1400fps.

Bass Ackward
12-01-2006, 08:35 AM
ACWW fails because of pressure. Not velocity. So if you use slower for caliber powders you will get higher velocities than if you stay with the fast stuff. Just look in a loading manual and see which powder produces the highest jacketed velocity with the same weight cast bullet you want to use. The next powder slower than that is what I clasify as the begining of slower for caliber powders and goes down from there.

Using the slowest powders per caliber that produce good ignition, ACWW will handle up to 40,000 psi in 22 caliber. Then it drops from there. @ 34,000 psi for light 30 caliber bullets. 30,000 for light 35s. And @ 28,000 for light 45s. Variations can be seen slightly above this or way below based on case capacity, bore condition, rifling height, lube, etc.

Sorry. These figures are GC figures. Can't tell you about PB pressure.