PDA

View Full Version : Sizing With a Star Made Easier

fastgun
03-22-2011, 08:28 PM
I shoot a lot so I have to size a lot of bullets. I love casting but sizing is a chore. I tried many different things ( short of adding a motor) to make this task easier. The shovel handle helped but some molds cast bullets a little larger and sizing is still hard on the arm. Finally the light went on. I bought some Cabela's case lubricant in a pump spray bottle. It contains isopropyl alcohol and lanolin. I spread my bullets out laying flat and spray a few pumps of the lubricant on them and let it dry for about 5 minutes. Sizing is now much easier. You will soon learn how much to use because when you hit a bullet that you missed with the spray your arm will come to a stop. The lanolin comes of during sizing so it has no effect on your powder or barrel. I have been using it for over two years. I just thought I would share this tip with fellow bullet casters.

Lee W
03-22-2011, 08:33 PM
I use the same mix with a touch of Rooster Jacket. Works well.

63 Shiloh
03-23-2011, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the tip fastgun,

I have been making my own case lube using these ingredients too. Comes alot cheaper too.

I grab some marine grade lanolin and a bottle of isopropyl alcohol, mix it 75-25, pour into a cheap spray bottle and have enough case lube to last forever.

Now I have a new use for it thanks to your tip.

Mike

saltydog452
03-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Maybe not exactly on the same sheet of music, but still the same tune as the title of the original poster's thread...

I saw this in use but could never justify my need for it.

A tinker, volume bullet caster, shooter, and occasional seller of H&G linotype bullets for the Bullseye bunch, and a ME, rigged up an external modification to his sizing operation.

Mostly, it was bicycle crank, sprockets, and chain. He was using his legs to work the sizer and his hands to feed the maching and box the bullets.

He said there was some tweaking with stool height and seat, the sprocket sizes, crank position, and such.

It was almost comical to watch him work it. But, it did work.

salty

376Steyr
03-23-2011, 05:58 PM
I've had good luck with the spray case lube technique. Just make sure you allow enough time for the alcohol to dry before you stuff the first bullet into the die. If you don't, the alcohol acts as a solvent and you get a firmly stuck bullet.

Springfield
03-23-2011, 06:00 PM
Same reason I lube all my brass, even the ones going through a carbide die, just easier on everything.

fredj338
03-24-2011, 01:39 AM
I've found running a lubed bullet thru every 6-8 does the same thing w/ no add'l. steps.

Roundnoser
03-24-2011, 01:53 AM
When needed, I place a tiny dot of RCBS case lube on my finger and thumb amd rub those fingers together ...then as I pick up the bullet to place in the sizer, it lubricates just the bearing surfaces, and not the grease groove. I repeat the process every 50 - 75 bullets.