PDA

View Full Version : New Star Die received...

Dale53
11-30-2006, 10:10 PM
I recently ordered a .313" die and flat punch for my Star Sizer/Luber. In just a couple of days I received it. Very nice work! The lady that took my order knew exactly what I was talking about - how refreshing!

In a matter of minutes I had it installed and was sizing bullets. Now, I am not knocking my RCBS sizer/luber but the Star is a CHAMP for pistol bullets. The bullets are EXACTLY .313" and polished after running through the die. Polished means the interior of the die is well finished. You gentlemen and ladies know what I mean when I mention that the Star is FAST.

Man, I do love sizing bullets with the Star:mrgreen:.

I do hope you fellers will forgive me for this post but, Heck!, I had to tell someone. Lee Six cavity moulds and a Star sizer. Life is good!:Fire: :Fire:

Dale53

Jack Stanley
11-30-2006, 10:14 PM
I do indeed like using my Star . High quality , easy to use , fast , what's not to like huh? :-D

Jack

Cntrmass
12-05-2006, 11:08 PM
I don't post or read often so you can PM me I think.
Where do you buy a star sizer/press?

Dale53
12-06-2006, 02:14 AM
As far as I know, the Star press is only available direct from the manufacturer:

http://www.magmaengineering.com/item.php?id=24

They are commercial quality and will last through hundreds of thousands of bullets. The dies are kind of pricey (you need one for each caliber) but a flat ended punch of the correct diameter can work for several calibers.

Of course, there is always "Ebay". Sometimes you can find them used on the Forums. No one seems to ever get rid of them until they "leave this vale of tears" but sometimes will be found in an estate sale.

Good luck!

Dale53

straightshooter1
12-06-2006, 08:20 AM
I got mine on Ebay. I paid nearly as much as a new one from Magma but:

(1) Magma would have charged much more for shipping than I paid. So I saved on that end.

(2) Mine is a 70s model that was like new.

(3) I just wanted an older one-no real reason why.

I have seen a number of nice ones on Ebay (though none as nice as the one I got) as well as a number of ratty looking ones.

I have gotten some great and some "okay" deals on Ebay, but (1) watch the shipping. Some dealers really hurt you with that, while others ship in a USPS flat rate Priority box which will hold a sizer, etc. for $8.10 and (2) the buyers seem to get carried away with auctions for Dillon/Star etc. and I have seen items go for more used on Ebay than new from Dillon.

Bob

Merc41
12-06-2006, 07:30 PM
I got mine on Ebay a few months ago also. Was a San Diego Star. Probably made in the 70's also.

Everything that straightshoot said, but also, read the sellers negative feedback, if they have any. Other than that, it is a pretty good deal.

SGD
12-07-2006, 06:52 PM
How well does the star fill out the lube groove? I have a ballisti-cast sizer/luber and it does not fill out the lube grooves real well, especially on the large 45 bullets.

LAH
12-07-2006, 10:40 PM
How well does the star fill out the lube groove? I have a ballisti-cast sizer/luber and it does not fill out the lube grooves real well, especially on the large 45 bullets.

I lubed a ton or two with my Star's and they fill out just fine if adjusted correctly for the bullet and lube used.........Creeker

BigCheese
12-08-2006, 03:41 PM
SGD,

Maybe this old post of mine will help you filling out the grooves. It is important to align the lube groove with the holes in the die. If you do not then get good filling, it is probably pressure or temperature. Maybe you need some supplemental heat if your room is colder than in the summer.

I will assume the bullet has one groove:

First, use a vernier to measure distance from the base of the bullet to the center of the lube groove Call this #1. Then measure the distance from the base of the die to the lube holes. (The die will have to be removed from the Star and lube removed to access the holes). Call this #2. Subtract #1 from #2. This is the amount the base of the bullet should be recessed up from the bottom of the die.

Use the depth gage at the end of the vernier to span the hole at the bottom of the die. Start a bullet high; keep turning down the top punch and operating the handle (no lube pressure) until the base of the bullet is at the calculated distance above the bottom rim of the die. Once you do this, keep the dimension in a notebook so the Star can be reset when you change bullets. To make resetting easier, after the setup is complete, you can raise the handle all the way up and use the vernier to measure the distance from the top of the die to the bottom of the punch. Next time you use this die & bullet combination, just screw the punch up and down to repeat this distance.

All of the above assumes sizing base first, but it could also be done for nose first by measuring the distance from the nose to the lube groove as #1 above.