PDA

View Full Version : Flintlock Question

smoked turkey
03-22-2011, 04:56 PM
I have several in-lines and caplocks. I enjoy shooting them all. I do like the sidelocks best. I have Thompson Center for the most part. I like the American made idea. I also believe the quality of the TC is very good. At the moment I think a .36 cal flintlock would be a very fun rifle to shoot.
I have no experience when it comes to quality or function when it comes to flinters. I understand the Lyman Plains rifle is a very quality muzzleloader. I also see TCs out there for sale.
I realize that there are differences of opinion on which flintlock to purchase when it comes to quality. I am wondering what experience flintlock shooters here on this board have had with the various brands out there. Of course I have to say that cost is a factor. I can't afford to jump into a custom build. So I guess I am wondering which mass produced rifle would be considered a good one? Sorry for the long post.

daddywpb
03-22-2011, 06:54 PM
I shoot a T/C Renegade flintlock. Very reliable, and LOTS of fun!!!!

DIRT Farmer
03-22-2011, 09:54 PM
If you are handy with tools check out Tip Curtis Fronteeir shop. He has some kits that are not much higher than a production gun. There are several styles and levals you can chose from.

Dean D.
03-23-2011, 08:52 AM
My .54 cal. Lyman GPR flinter is ok for an inexpensive gun. It is barrel heavy and I am not overly enthused with the lock. Otherwise I feel it was worth the money. It shoots accurately. I cannot comment on T/C as I've never owned one.

One thing I would recommend is checking out L & R Locks http://www.lr-rpl.com/ and see what guns they offer drop-in replacement locks for. If you later decide you want to upgrade the lock you would be able to do so for a reasonable price. The lock is the heart of your gun.

smoked turkey
03-23-2011, 09:53 AM
Dirt Farmer and Dean D. :Thanks for the information on where to find some quality parts, kit, etc. I may need to check them out. I can do a kit build but don't have the time right now to devote to it. I did a TC Hawkin many moons ago and I did enjoy doing it. I had my grandson help me when he was younger and for his birthday I gave it to him. The new lock idea is a good one.

daddywbp: I don't doubt that the TC is a good one and fun. I would really like to find one in .36 cal and that way I could scratch both itches for a small squirrel caliber and a flinter! I may put the word out under the want to buy section here to see if I can scare anything up.Thanks to all for the input.

northmn
03-23-2011, 11:01 AM
I would also try checking Track of the Wolf consignments. Some are fairly reasonable. If you get a kit, start out with a Tennessee type rifle as they are the least hassle to put together.
http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii425/Davidpeck16/Poor%20Boy/013.jpg
http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii425/Davidpeck16/Poor%20Boy/001.jpg
Note this one does not even ahve a buttplate, its called a poor boy. Still works on squirrels. The American Hunter had a write up on a Traditions 36 flintlock which may be OK. Some of the production flintlocks have improved. About the most common thing on them is tht the frizzen may need rehardening after some use or the mainspring might be a bit weak.

DP

cherokee235b
03-25-2011, 09:57 PM
If you want quality you need custom built or build your own. You can choose the wood, lock, and get excellent barrels form quality barrel makers such as a swamped barrel from the Getz barrel co. If you get a poor boy the cost is not to bad. ( thats why it is called a poor boy) T C is a good gun for the money and I have seen some good guns from CVA also. Save your pennies and get the best you can afford.

daddywpb
03-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Keep an eye out on Gunbroker. T/C flinters don't come up real often, but they do show up. That's where I found mine. Get a good "like new" rifle and then you can get a Green Mountain drop in barrel, or have someone rebarrel it in the caliber of your choice. That's what I did. Good hunting!

smoked turkey
03-26-2011, 11:12 PM
I've been watching a Pennsylvania Hunter flinter that is as new it appears. It has been at starting bid of $355 for a few weeks and no one will bite. It is tempting, but I need to watch where my money goes right now and it is not towards a new rifle! I am wondering what the opinions are of the Pennsylvaia Hunter ? Looks like a fine rifle. It may be a moot point for now but a man can dream a little..right!

daddywpb
03-27-2011, 07:25 AM
Thats a very nice rifle, and it does look to be unfired unless someone replaced the frizzen. Stock looks new. If I had the money I'd bid on that one myself!

Odinbreaker
03-29-2011, 11:01 AM
I bought a T C Penn flint for 250 a few years ago that is high but with all the changes at T C prices are going up. If you get an older TC be sure and send for the new style hammer and frizzen.

daddywpb
03-29-2011, 06:53 PM
I bought a T C Penn flint for 250 a few years ago that is high but with all the changes at T C prices are going up. If you get an older TC be sure and send for the new style hammer and frizzen.

I have been told the same thing, but mine has the original 1970's hammer and frizzen and it works just fine.

smoked turkey
03-29-2011, 10:16 PM
A question I had concerns the comparison between a Renegade flinter and the Penn Hunter. I have a .54 Renegade with a caplock and I know it and like it. From what I see, the Penn Hunter looks to be good quality also. But I did wonder what others thought between the two. Thanks. Oh there is a Renegade flinter on Gunbroker for $300 opening bid and it had no bids. That was earlier today and it might have either sold or expired by now. I thought for that price the Renegade was probably a good deal.

daddywpb
03-30-2011, 07:24 PM
I like the double set triggers on the Renegades.

nicholst55
04-03-2011, 03:23 AM
I bought a T/C Renegade flinter several years ago sight unseen, and discovered that the barrel was badly rusted. I put a Green Mountain round ball barrel on it and never looked back. I have since replaced the lock with a L&R replacement lock, and the triggers with a Davis target model. The stock and the buttplate are about the only T/C parts on it now, and I expect I will eventually replace the stock with one that had more drop to the comb.

Still in all, a very nice rifle. Just be certain to check the bore before you buy!

Lonegun1894
04-05-2011, 12:45 AM
If you dont mind a kit, you can get a Lyman GPR for about $400 from midsouth, at least that was the price last time I looked a couple weeks ago. I have one and like it. Last time I checked TC Hawken prices, they were going for about 700, which is enough to get you a very good quality kit and build your own custom rifle.

smoked turkey
04-06-2011, 12:13 AM
Thanks for all the great input on a flintlock. I am not opposed to a kit. In fact I built a 50 cal caplock Thompson Center Hawkin a year or so back. I have been watching a couple of Thompson Center flinters on GunBroker. Just today I won a .54 Renegade. I will send them a check tomorrow and set back and wait for delivery. I am anxious to try it. I have 54 caplock and a 56 SB in Renegades now and I have had good luck with them. This is my first experience with a flintlock. So we will see how it goes.