PDA

View Full Version : What do you keep your firearms in? Plywood Storage container ideas?

Van
03-22-2011, 02:31 AM
I helped a friend clean and inspect his newly inherited old rifles. Most were piled up in a corner of his Dad's closet, dirty and some light rust. Any ideas for cheap plywood box for a few old Enfields, Mausers?

cumminsnut76
03-22-2011, 09:24 AM
Well the best way is to just put them in a box and ship them here to Missouri so you don't have to worry about them any longer! LOL

Ickisrulz
03-22-2011, 10:41 AM
This is a nice system. I have 10 long guns in my smaller 6 gun safe.

http://www.storemoreguns.com/

BorderBrewer
03-22-2011, 10:51 AM
For storing rifles in my safe I removed rifle racks that came with my safe and used the rifle rods storage system. These are plastic rods with velcro pads on the end that slide into the barrel. The velcro pads attach to velcro loop material that is stapled to the bottom side of the upper shelf. I can fit more rifles and have easier access. I bought the rifle rods from an outfit in the midwest storemoreguns.com (no affiliation). I could have made my own, but for the reasonable price they charged for them ready made it wasn't worth my time.

klcarroll
03-22-2011, 12:29 PM
I use a regular KNAACK jobsite storage box. It's big enough to hold all my stuff (in cases), and it is EASILY as "Burglar Resistant" as any of the commercial gunsafes that can be had for under $1000!

I found it used on Craigslist for $150.

Kent

DCM
03-23-2011, 10:56 PM
I've got to check out that storemoreguns stuff!

I used to know a guy that made gun safes out of old fridges and freezers.

Artful
03-25-2011, 10:40 AM
buy the man a can of oil a a cloth. Depending upon security he should at least have all the bolts pulled and stored in a locked box so if they break in a steal the rifles they can't use them. - Mine are in gun safe's but you can use any number of things to secure firearms - from sounds of it a gym locker of 10 would be the easy solution, if he wants to DIY you could do worse than just copying the standard military shipping boxes. Or just buy some
http://www.keepshooting.com/military-surplus-wooden-crates.html
http://www.keepshooting.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/u/surplus-wooden-crates-mosin-nagant-4b.jpg
http://www.keepshooting.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/u/surplus-wooden-crates-mosin-nagant-6b.jpg
http://www.keepshooting.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/u/surplus-wooden-crates-mosin-nagant-5b.jpg

Van
03-27-2011, 10:50 AM
Artful, that is exactly what I was looking for, thanks.
I like the rifle rod idea as well. Thanks for the input everyone.

Only $20 for the crate , with $40 or more for shipping. Maybe I can find those closer to home.

DCM
04-03-2011, 11:43 PM
I'm with Artful 100% on pulling the bolts etc. to make them unusable! Before I bought a safe I did that and now if have leave a gun out for a thorough cleaning I still do it.

Idaho Sharpshooter
04-04-2011, 08:11 PM
I just added a 14x20 foot room to the house, and put a steel frame/door on the front.
I am raising the roof the first 8 foot to 12.5 feet to put my Cape Buffalo and other African trophies in right now. Life is good.

Rich

Artful
04-05-2011, 02:55 AM
I just added a 14x20 foot room to the house, and put a steel frame/door on the front.
I am raising the roof the first 8 foot to 12.5 feet to put my Cape Buffalo and other African trophies in right now. Life is good.

Rich

We want pictures when that's done - :bigsmyl2:

DCM
04-07-2011, 10:51 PM
We want pictures when that's done - :bigsmyl2:

+1 on that!

I want to put a Cape Buffalo in my shop right where you walk in so it stares right at you.

A friend of mine says they always look at you like you owe them money. :shock:

Artful
04-08-2011, 03:33 AM
http://cammocks.net/Africa%202005/Cape%20Buffalo.jpg
not a bad description

geargnasher
04-16-2011, 12:42 AM
I built a "safe" (meaning safe from dings, small children, and the weather) out of a side-by-side refrigerator and used it for years, then built a crude wooden cabinet out of dimensional lumber when I outgrew that, it only takes fifty bucks, a skillsaw and drill to make a basic wooden box complete with some separators and a lock. I'm working on a 8X5 concrete walk-in gun closet currently.

Gear

Dutchman
04-16-2011, 04:06 PM
Description and Rules for the Management of the United States Rifle Caliber .30 Model of 1903..

The last couple pages have the blueprints for the official US Gov't arms chest that held 10 rifles.

It's a 7.8 mb PDF file I just uploaded for you.

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/temp/1903_Springfield_1911_Manual.pdf

Dutch

Idaho Sharpshooter
04-26-2011, 12:25 AM
DCM,

the one out in my garage does. I raised the roof in half of my gunroom from eight feet to twelve and a half feet for him and some plains game I shot last April in RSA. We finished painting and installing half a dozen track lights this afternoon. I painted the 3/4" plywood shield to mount him on (four 3" wood screws sounds much better than a single 2" one screwed into the wall), and Bad Boy is going to hang from a wall facing the door as you walk in. One side of the door wall will have my 54" Kudu, the other side a 36" Gemsbok. Over the door as you walk in will be a full bodymount Caracal (cat). On the opposite wall will be the bigscreen with a Waterbuck centered over it, and two large blowup pictures of this massive Lion (one side) and a 100 pound a side Bull Elephant striding across the Serengeti Plains.

As soon as I am able, I will post a set of pictures. It has been a fantastic two and a half years since I retired in October of 2008.

Next spring I will be hunting again, this time with lead bullets in a Ten Bore Paradox Rifle Colin Stolzer is building me. Seven boolets to the pound.

Rich

gew98
05-13-2011, 08:32 AM
I'm with Artful 100% on pulling the bolts etc. to make them unusable! Before I bought a safe I did that and now if have leave a gun out for a thorough cleaning I still do it.

I am quite against separating rifles from bolts. I have seen more than once in my day beautiful old rifles that were matching turn up with no bolts on more than one occasion after the owners passed away. Either they were hidden , overlooked or thrown out when the families decided to sell them off. I did see one late collector have his rifles all laid out and all had mismatch bolts..... he kept them separate and the family just jammed in the bolts in whatever rifle would accept them, thoroughly mismatching them. Had I not been there and aware of the rifles and known their late owner they would have been formerly matched rifles forever !. I went through them and put the bolts to their proper matching rifles. Most bolts had little tags on them to even state which rifle they belonged too... but the son and wife of the man did not bother to look at them. I keep my rifles in sleeves in safes. If one can and has the space the safe(s) can be anchored to wood or concrete walls by running unistrut on those walls with either lag bolts or various masonry anchors then bolt the safes from the inside to the unistrut. Makes for a wall of safes about impossible to carry off. I recommend this as I have been aware of more than one burglary where the safes were simply carted off.

Winger Ed.
05-14-2011, 02:36 AM
If you ever want to get a safe-
used high security ones can be found pretty cheap for what they are.
Making one into a gun safe isn't hard,
the interior for one is a 'drop in' that a home craftsman can do in a few hours.

Most people are overwhelmed at the idea of moving a 3-5,000 pound vault,
so they sell for a fraction of they're value.
The trick is not to move it yourself.
A locksmith will do it, or knows one who does move them.
Or a safe company that sells nationwide, they'll have a network of local movers who do it.

A few years ago, I got a 6,000 pound bank vault that's 3' deep, 7' tall, and 4' wide for $300.
The door alone weighs a ton. It cost another $300 to have it moved across town to my garage.
A weekend of 'remodeling', and now its a heck of a gunsafe.
Last summer, a buddy found one- a $10-12,000 high security vault for $500.
Another $350 bucks to have it moved by a insured/bonded safe moving company,
now he's got a really great home safe for a fraction of what a new one costs.