PDA

View Full Version : .358 neck sizers

Marlin Junky
03-21-2011, 10:43 PM
My Lee .358 dies work my brass too much and I'm considering the purchase of one of these dies:

1) https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/15834

2) http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=576192

Any opinions on one over the other? Is there a better option for creating "straight" (little to no run-out) .358 ammo (with boolits, of course). I'm getting premature neck splits with my Lee dies and even when the FL sizer is backed off to just neck size, my cases lengthen way too much between firings.

MJ

Buckshot
03-22-2011, 12:52 AM
.............I'm sure the Hornady would be just fine. Re: My Lee .358 dies work my brass too much. Remember, die manufacturers all believe you're going to be shooting jacketed ammo :-) Even those who manufacture and sell boolit casting stuff simply offer 'Cast Boolit' expanders so you can expand those 30-'06 casemouths back out from their sized down to .302", back up to .308" for cast (even though you may REALLY need .309", .310", or even .311").

It was so bad for my 38-55 (they figure you're using .375" jacketed) with dies wanting to size casemouths to .372" I made my own 'Neck only' insert die.

http://www.fototime.com/57FDCC442C1911E/standard.jpg

Then you're up against a seater die that expects nothing larger then .378" when you're REALLY wanting to seat a slug going .381" :-)

...............Buckshot

Marlin Junky
03-22-2011, 02:28 PM
.............I'm sure the Hornady would be just fine.

Buckshot,

What about the Redding? I believe the Hornady uses a pilot and I think the Redding uses bushings. Cartridge concentricity is paramount, ease of use (whether I need lube or not or have to juggle bushing ID) is secondary.

MJ

Larry Gibson
03-22-2011, 02:38 PM
Marlin

Redding doesn't make bushing dies for that large of caliber. I have a Redding neck size die for my .35 Rem that sizes necks just right for .359/.360 sized bullets with R-P cases. Don't know about the .358 dies though. A Lee collet die will allow some lee way in how much you size the necks also.

Larry Gibson

Ickisrulz
03-22-2011, 02:50 PM
You might take a look at CH4d's bushing neck sizer. I got one die with bushings for .338, .308 and .224 cartridges. I don't know how well they do with run out since I have no way of measuring it. But it seems like a nice system (other than CH4d's cheap aluminum lock ring). They have six sizes of dies for different cartridges. The medium worked for me (.22-250, .30-06 and .338 Win Mag).

From the site:

"With our Standard Bushing Neck Sizer you no longer need to have a separate neck sizer die for all of your calibers. Now you can simply drop in the correct size bushing, and you have whatever neck sizer that you need ! Not only is it more economical, but you can also get any diameter in .001 increments without buying several custom made neck sizers at two or three times the price ! Applicable to calibers 22 through 9.3 mm & some 375's. Smaller bushings available on special order. For larger calibers see our Large Bushing Neck Sizer."

Marlin Junky
03-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Marlin

Redding doesn't make bushing dies for that large of caliber. I have a Redding neck size die for my .35 Rem that sizes necks just right for .359/.360 sized bullets with R-P cases. Don't know about the .358 dies though. A Lee collet die will allow some lee way in how much you size the necks also.

Larry Gibson

Larry,

Yeah, I just downloaded (after a long hunt) a Redding catalog and I was thinking about the S-Type Redding dies. The basic Redding neck sizer has a pilot. Lee does not mass produce a .358 Collet Sizer or I would already have one. I tried my .35R collet sizer on a .358 case and it changed the shoulder angle somewhat. So... it looks like a krap shoot between the Redding die for the .356/358 or the less expensive Hornady die that will accommodate everything up to .358 Norma!

MJ

Larry Gibson
03-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Marlin

Guess it looks like the "**** shoot'....ya puts your money down and takes your chances......:(

Larry Gibson

Marlin Junky
03-22-2011, 04:34 PM
Marlin

Guess it looks like the "**** shoot'....ya puts your money down and takes your chances......:(

Larry Gibson

Larry,

Ya spelt **** wrong... it's krap with a k. 8-)

I'll buy the cheapie from Potterfield as long as his return policy hasn't changed to something more hard core... like a restocking fee or something. Personally, I can't image the darn die (Hornady's die) working well for a .358W and a .358N.

MJ

Irascible
03-23-2011, 10:30 AM
I had that problem with an RCBS die years ago. I sent the die back with three fired cases, told them it sized too much and they replaced it for free. Most of the die manufacturers will make what you want on special order, just specify and pay! Lee's prices for custom work is cheaper then the others.
You could also open yours up with a drill powered dowel and some emery paper.
Also, you could buy a Lee collet die, even if they don't list it, they will custom make it.