PDA

View Full Version : Own a RCBS chargemaster or thinking of one

rockrat
03-21-2011, 10:19 PM
Had to pack up my Chargemaster and send it back to RCBS. Unfortunately, they wanted the receipt of when I bought it for warranty work. Always have had such good luck with RCBS, that didn't think of keeping it. Bought it back in August, and loaded about 300 rounds in about 5 sessions. Hadn't used it for about 4 1/2 months and went to use it and only part of the seven segment display would work.

KEEP YOUR RECEIPT!!!

Hopefully, they will warranty it , but I won't hold my breath, but you never know.

man.electric
03-22-2011, 06:59 AM
Where did you purchase it at Rockrat? Many suppliers are good about printing copies of receipts for past customers. It is at least worth a try. If they won't fix it, I can always take a look at it for you. Repairing electronics is my other frustrating hobby... Displays are a pain, but sometimes a guy gets lucky and it is an easy fix.

*Paladin*
03-22-2011, 07:10 AM
Sorry to hear about your machine! I've had mine for a while, I think I bought it when RCBS first came out with it, so maybe 5 years now? Fortunately, I've had good luck with it (knocking on wood). One of my favorite pieces of equipment!

gray wolf
03-22-2011, 09:45 AM
The place you got it from should give you a receipt or at least fax one over to RCBS.
If not they charge $45.00 for a fix if it's past warranty date.
RCBS is great, work with them. Your problem is an easy fix, don't take no for an answer
unless you want to spend the 45 + shipping.

TCFAN
03-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Had to pack up my Chargemaster and send it back to RCBS. Unfortunately, they wanted the receipt of when I bought it for warranty work. Always have had such good luck with RCBS, that didn't think of keeping it. Bought it back in August, and loaded about 300 rounds in about 5 sessions. Hadn't used it for about 4 1/2 months and went to use it and only part of the seven segment display would work.

KEEP YOUR RECEIPT!!!

Hopefully, they will warranty it , but I won't hold my breath, but you never know.

Rockrat please keep us posted on how this works out for you....Terry

Frank
03-22-2011, 12:16 PM
I wonder how good these dispensers are. I read the negative comments at Midway on all the brands and I'm afraid if I get one it might end up not being used at all.

Rocky Raab
03-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Frank, I used the original PACT/RCBS Powdermaster (the two-part model) for almost ten years. (And I still had the original packaging as well as the receipt, btw). When it finally broke down, I replaced it with the new Hornady unit. I have recently tested the SmartReloader digital dispenser. So I think I have some background.

All the digitals shine for small-batch loading because they allow you to simply punch in the desired weight with no fiddling or trickling. They show a weighed charge every time, again with no muss or fuss and no trickling. Plus, they do the work hands off. You can seat the previous bullet while the machine runs.

If you are a "rounds per hour" speed freak, or are addicted to loading blocks, they are not for you. All of them will keep up with you - or nearly so - if you seat the previous bullet while they run, however.

I keep a Johnson Quick Measure for long runs of ball powder, as with my annual prairie dog ammo supply. I have a Hornady dual-drum measure and beam scale as backup in case the digital ever fails. But I load everything else with the digital machine, and would not be without it.

rockrat
03-22-2011, 04:28 PM
Will keep you informed. I bought mine for loading 50 bmg as not too many powder dispensers go to 250gr!!!

winelover
03-22-2011, 06:07 PM
RCBS Chargemaster Combo = Best thing since sliced bread!

Winelover

Frank
03-22-2011, 06:56 PM
Rocky, how well does your Hornady work with extruded powder? Have you had any problems? Some people talk about wide variation.

Rocky Raab
03-22-2011, 08:15 PM
It works perfectly. I have no idea what they mean by "wide variation." unless it's that once in a while too many kernels will fall just at the end of the trickle cycle, and that results in a heavy charge. But when that happens, the machine lets out a long beep and flashes OVER. All you have to do is flick a few kernels out with a fingertip and put the pan back to let the machine try again.

*Paladin*
03-22-2011, 11:00 PM
Regular IMR 4831 throws a bit off at times (in my Chargemaster), because it's an extruded. I did the same thing as Rocky. Pick a few kernels our and trickle some more until it's at the correct weight. Now I use 4831sc, and life is good!

Frank
03-22-2011, 11:36 PM
Thanks for your input, guys! One guy says on the site he needs to load 87 times to get 50 match rounds. Using a manual measure and manual trickler I must be quicker than these machines. I don't care about speed, just accuracy, but if it gets any slower then I can do then maybe I don't need to spend money just for added convenience.

Rocky Raab
03-23-2011, 10:02 AM
I have no idea what that guy's problem is, but I will say this: a drum and trickler are no more accurate than a digital, nor much faster. A drum measure alone is much faster, but you only assume the charge weights are correct if you don't weigh every one. If you believe that getting a charge to absolutely dead-on the tenth of a grain is important in rifle loads, you are deceiving yourself. We have a fetish about charge weights, it seems. Benchrest shooters don't weigh every charge, some long-range target shooters obsess about it. For the rest of us, close really is good enough - but seeing the weight displayed is still comforting.

Storydude
03-23-2011, 12:47 PM
I love mine. Varget, unique, H355, w231, all meter like water through it. Easy to clean, easy to use, and like said above, by the time I drop powder in case, seat bullet and do post-press inspection, the RCBS is already done waiting for me.

rockrat
03-29-2011, 06:55 PM
See new post. Did a new one so others could see just how good RCBS is.

troy_mclure
03-29-2011, 08:25 PM
i love mine, even runs 800x perfectly, which most dispensers dont like.