PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Casting Again

ColColt
03-21-2011, 06:52 PM
Giving serious considerations to firing up my old Lyman Mold Master 61 this weekend to see if it even still works. Looks like I left a couple pounds of metal in it when I last unplugged it.(about 25 years ago)

Where can I find a good source of lead/tin or Linotype as if I start this back I want to use a BHN 12-15. I currently have some lead and an unknown quantity of Linotype but am not hesitant to mix tin instead of the Linotype. I'll have to figure what I need to add to make ingots somewhat softer than the Lyman #2 if I plan on doing the BHN 12 hardness alloy.

I've tried to find a mold in the 158 gr area, SWC for 38/357 with all bands equal but that seems like something I'd have to go to Fantasy Island to find. Lyman doesn't have one, Saeco doesn't nor does RCBS. Even Magma doesn't show one and I'm not into the peculiarities of aluminum blocks. Lyman use to make a 358431(160 gr SWC) long ago but I see that's no longer in their repertoire.

Wayne Smith
03-22-2011, 07:57 AM
Go down to the swapping and selling section, and look in the Vendor's section and you will find many opportunities to buy a variety of metals. Or go up and click on the RotoMetals logo and deal with them.

As for the mold, you seem to know exactly what you want. If you go to MountainMolds.com you can design your bullet on his website and he will cut it in the metal you want. Or read up on Accurate Molds, I've not used him but have read very good reports. Anyway, you can get exactly the mold you desire from either of these guys.

Marlin Junky
03-22-2011, 02:19 PM
Do you live near a shooting range?

MJ

ColColt
03-22-2011, 06:33 PM
Go down to the swapping and selling section, and look in the Vendor's section and you will find many opportunities to buy a variety of metals. Or go up and click on the RotoMetals logo and deal with them.

As for the mold, you seem to know exactly what you want. If you go to MountainMolds.com you can design your bullet on his website and he will cut it in the metal you want. Or read up on Accurate Molds, I've not used him but have read very good reports. Anyway, you can get exactly the mold you desire from either of these guys.

Many thanks for that info and both places have some gorgeous molds. I'm still looking over them. I was going to open the "existing design" tab on MountainMolds but it indicates "still under construction". I'm not sure how to exactly fill out an order form they show but still looking at it. I don't want an aluminum mold but they do offer brass or iron.

Marlin Junky_Yep I'm about 7 miles from the indoor range I shoot at. I talked with a guy today at work and he told me he had a sheet of lead that his Dad left behind when he passed away and I'll be getting that soon as he said he had no used for it. No idea how much it weighs or exactly how many sheets he has-maybe only one but hey, I'll take it!

Leadmelter
03-22-2011, 07:10 PM
ColColt
Watch E-bay, there are alot of vintage Lyman molds on there to pick from. I have bought several and I have never been disappointed.
Cast ON
Gerry

ColColt
03-22-2011, 07:34 PM
I saw one today at lunch as I was browsing the "molds" section but, it's a single cavity #357446. I liked the design and weight(160 gr) but it would take me 40 forevers to knock out 500 bullets with a single cavity. MountainMolds takes 6-12 weeks for turnaround...long time.

Wayne Smith
03-22-2011, 08:53 PM
Be aware that Dan (Mountain Molds) lists his longest wait time as a safety measure. I'm not sure anyone has waited that long.

ColColt
03-22-2011, 09:16 PM
I found the Online Bullet Design form a bit daunting. You plug in the weight and style bullet and other numbers for various things start changing...like number of bands,band length, nose length, rifle throat length, etc. some terminology I'm not familiar with at all. I couldn't figure why a "rifle throat length" was indicated when I plugged in 160 gr SWC Keith style. It did give an "as cast bullet weight" which I liked, with the alloy you choose. It may take a bit of reading the terminology to understand it all.

waksupi
03-22-2011, 11:35 PM
On Dan's site, be sure to make your boolit a couple thousandths over, to allow for a little sizing. The molds I have got from him, all arrived in under two weeks.

ColColt
03-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Thanks for that tip. I need to look over the site a bit more and familiarize myself with a few unfamiliar terms.

Wayne Smith
03-24-2011, 07:50 AM
Dan's site is fun. It gives you a chance to play with designs compulsively before you pull the trigger. Many beginners like you post their 'final' designs here for comment before pulling the trigger.