PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a gremlin in your reloading room?

Trey45
03-21-2011, 12:27 PM
For the last 4 days I have been looking for a Springfield XDM 45 magazine, I've looked on top of, underneath of, and beside my press bench, I have opened boxes, moved things around and even used high intensity flashlights to illuminate the benchtop more. I picked up the couch cushions and checked there, looked under the couch, looked under the lead pot bench, looked on my desk, opened every drawer, I looked in the gunsafe, on top of the safe, and beside it. About 5 minutes ago I changed channels on the shop TV and put the remote down.... on top of the XDM magazine.......on my press bench.

I'm thinking of naming my gremlin, but I can't use that kind of language here on the forum.

76 WARLOCK
03-21-2011, 12:34 PM
You must have just passed 65, this happens to me all the time.

Trey45
03-21-2011, 12:40 PM
Just turned 46, you mean it gets worse?

Finster101
03-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Doing a job at work Friday and used a 10mm wrench. Now I put my tools away after each job and before the car gets driven out of my bay. No wrench. looked the car up one side and down the other, raised it on the lift nothing. Now this job is going to cost me money to replace the Snap-on wrench I lost! End of the day changing clothes reach in to get my pocket knife, there is the knife and a 10mm wrench. Walked around with it for a good 4 or 5 hours. This gettin' old sucks, but the alternative ain't pretty either.

James

RobS
03-21-2011, 01:04 PM
I've also been here. It frustrates the living heck out of me especially when I can remember telling myself that I will put it here???? but then can't remember where my so ingenious self thought of such the great fool proof place so I wouldn't forget it might be. I'm in my 30's...................... hard telling what’s next.[smilie=b:

fryboy
03-21-2011, 01:10 PM
if you only have one gremlin consider yourself lucky .... seems i have one out in the shop ( who's quite active and mischievous ..maybe more than one with different taste ) and another in the house , the one in the house is much more benign ( barely ) but twice as devious when the mood strikes , i'd honestly love to pass it off as getting old but that would mean looking for my safety glasses when they are on top of my head ( that hasnt happened yet ) in the shop i have perhaps 10-12 pair ( at least ) , all placed by tools where i need them the most .... i've seen days where every pair was invisible ( we wont even mention my favorite pair .... ) usually when using something ( such as a table saw or radial arm saw or even the big belt sander ) when finished i place the glasses in "their spot" ..i've seen days where every spot was empty and the spare drawer was as well , i've looked and looked and sometimes go out to the truck or in the house to get another pair .... the next time i'm out there there's a few pair just blaring at me , of course that's usually the days i dont need them :P

thx997303
03-21-2011, 01:16 PM
I'm 22, I can't blame it on getting old.

My wife is fond of finding the remote in the fridge, or the milk in the girls room. :groner:

Jim
03-21-2011, 01:37 PM
Trey, your friend's name is Murphy. He hails from County Cork, Ireland. His brother, O'Rielly, lives here in my gun room. His sole mission in life is to mess with your head. He has no intent to break or steal things or hurt anyone, only to mess with you when he sees fit. You may speak to him directly about his shenanigans, but he will only laugh and then run hide behind the powder canisters. He feeds on mischief and watching you get bent when he pulls one of his pranks. You'll just have to learn to live with him.

grog18b
03-21-2011, 01:38 PM
Bro, I have a WHOLE TEAM of them, constantly working against me. If I catch one of them...

wiljen
03-21-2011, 01:47 PM
Hell even the gremlins at my house are scared of SWMBO. They don't bother me, but she rearranges things in such a way that they will never be found.

oneokie
03-21-2011, 01:49 PM
Found a partial box of 30-30 ammo last week that I had been looking for off and on for over two years. It was found on the ready ammo shelf, on top of other ammo, with nothing blocking a persons view of it. Also have misplaced another full box of specialty ammo that has been missing for probably 20 years.

I'm thinking of naming my gremlin, but I can't use that kind of language here on the forum.

To name your gremlin, go into an empty room with a mirror, look into the mirror and you will have found your gremlin. [smilie=s:

My suggestion to keep the gremlin at bay; become a creature of habit in the reloading room.

firefly1957
03-21-2011, 01:54 PM
No it is just me putting things were they don't belong. It is getting worse with age just today I picked up keys and the phone rang while on the phone I looked all over for keys could not find them when I put phone down they were in hand under phone.
:bigsmyl2:

jcwit
03-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Trey, you're having a heck of a time keeping your sXXX together aren't you.

AaronJ
03-21-2011, 02:07 PM
I bought 10 9 round mags for my 204 ruger AR15 3 years ago then proceded to put them in a safe place. I just re found them when I built my new bench and had to move everything.

44man
03-21-2011, 02:31 PM
I lost the small scissors that I cut sandpaper with. I was right here on my seat when I used them last but they are not in the hole of my tool rack.
I have tools that I don't know I have. I will go in a drawer now and then and see the tools with wonder. [smilie=l:

Rocky Raab
03-21-2011, 02:44 PM
Mine must move between my reloading room and the garage. Somewhere in one of those two places is RCBS's prototype mould for the 9 Makarov bullet they sent me in 1989. I cast a couple thousand bullets with it and then put it someplace safe from rust.

Well, it's apparently safe from discovery, also. Have turned the place upside down now that I'm short of those bullets. Nada.

Might have to buy a new one so the first one will magically appear. That seems to work for most other things the gremlin has hidden...

curiousgeorge
03-21-2011, 03:06 PM
My gremlin seems to have taken a liking to a single cavity 45-70 mould with the handles still on it. After 3 years of looking, I broke down and bought another one from a member here last fall. I was sure that after buying a new one that it would turn up the next day, but no luck so far. Maybe it will show up at one of somebody else's bench. If so, good luck and may the Irish be with you, cause you will need all the help you can get if he stays at your place instead of mine.

P.S. I actually had an AMC Gremlin in the late 70's. Never a more aptly named car!

steg
03-21-2011, 03:19 PM
My buddy called it the "Hereafters", as in when you get up to get something in another room, and when you get there you wonder what am I "Hereafter". LOL

klcarroll
03-21-2011, 03:22 PM
....And this discussion couldn't possibly be considered complete without an historical look at Gremlins!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1xqrdtJs8w

Enjoy!

Kent

waksupi
03-21-2011, 03:28 PM
I've been missing a Tanner .510 mold for months. If I ever catch that gremlin, he's in trouble. I bet he has Ken's flintlock, too!

82nd airborne
03-21-2011, 04:39 PM
My gremlin is downright mean. I went to get the glock that stays in the center console of my wifes car out to shoot it and it was gone, gone I say.
I search all over, nowhere to be found. Someone stole it. I proceed to loose my temper while my wife is blabbering about oh its probably here or there. "NO" I tell here, "I always keep it here, you know that! I never ever misplace my guns!" By this time, I call a good friend of mine, who is a cop, to tell him to keep an eye out for it.
I then go to my backpack to get some painkillers out. The gremlin (his name is obama, because he is good for nothing) had put my wifes car gun in the backpack right next to the oxycodone. Not very nice.

oldhickory
03-21-2011, 04:54 PM
Something keeps happening to my stuff...

cbrick
03-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Might have to buy a new one so the first one will magically appear. That seems to work for most other things the gremlin has hidden...

The only sure fire way to find a missing object is to buy a new one. Then as you walk in the door after spending the money there is the old one, right in front of you.

Rick

I've been missing a Tanner .510 mold for months. If I ever catch that gremlin, he's in trouble. I bet he has Ken's flintlock, too!

Ken is missing a flintlock? Now that's a Gremlin!

Rick

kyswede
03-21-2011, 05:08 PM
I can't tell you how many times I have put something up so I won't lose it, only to forget where I put it. Usually find it when looking for something else. My mother-in-law called my wife to tell her she couldn't find her cordless phone. Wife asked if she was on the corded phone in her bedroom. MIL says NO. Wife says "What phone are you talking on?" Never mind.
kyswede

10x
03-21-2011, 05:31 PM
I lost the small scissors that I cut sandpaper with. I was right here on my seat when I used them last but they are not in the hole of my tool rack.
I have tools that I don't know I have. I will go in a drawer now and then and see the tools with wonder. [smilie=l:

I've done that to a couple of guys, left a new tool in their tool box and wait to see if they say anything.

Mustangpalmer1911
03-21-2011, 05:35 PM
My gremlin owns a M&P40 magazine that I have not seen in a year.

Crash_Corrigan
03-21-2011, 05:56 PM
About 18 months ago a set of keys came up missing. They have yet to be found and of course the key for the gorilla sized chain and padlock that is holding my motorcycle jack captive around a roof support is among them along with the fork key for the motorcycle.

I do not want to get into what happens to my tools...suffice to say that I now own at least 3 sets of calipers. One set I can find and two are on walkabout. Ditto for reloading dies as I now own at least 3 sets of them in .44 calibre. Same deal on Univerasal decapping dies. I have 4 of them now. Three are also on walkabout. The only thing that has not come up missing is a weapon. However there is always the future.

I have been carrying around a very nice and useful CRKT folding knife for about 5 years. It decided to get lost about two months ago and has not been heard from since. Then there is a ammo can that contains most of my 1911 mags and a very nice mag loader with a buncha ammo that also has gotten lost somewhere in this tiny trailer I live in.

My glasses are another problem. Unless I wear them all the time they walk away and are found in the darndest places. Oh, the preceding pair came up lost 4 years ago and are still out there somewhere.

The worst part of getting more experience is that after I put something down I immediately forget where that was and I spend many useless hours looking for things that I have just misplaced.

I am now forced to live with lists because I am tired of getting out of my truck at a shopping centre and not have a clue of shy I was there. If I could only find that list....

stubshaft
03-21-2011, 06:01 PM
I was missing a handheld primer pocket reamer for a couple of months. Read this post out loud (so the gremlin would hear it) and lo and behold it showed up in the box of 222 forming dies!

shooter93
03-21-2011, 06:53 PM
The answer to you're trouble Trey is quite simple really. And this is also for everyone who answered with missing things. You all can find them in the same place....they are all gathered with Ken's muzzleloader....Find it and you find a gold mine of things.

giz189
03-21-2011, 09:14 PM
Yep, I now have two Surefire 6p flashlights, two diamond whetstones, two Lynch's Foolproof turkey calls and a bunch of stuff that I can't remember anyway. The Gremlins are like Santa Claus, they are everywhere.

casterofboolits
03-21-2011, 11:48 PM
The gremlins seem to multiply as you get older. A High Standard Sportking went missing for over three years. It was in a paper grocery bag (long story) and I apparently left it on the dinning room table. For the next three years I spent quite a bit of time looking for that bag.

Finally, my four year old grand daughter had pulled the photo albums out of the shelf, as I was straightening up, I found the bag with pistol stuffed between two of the photo albums.

Then, it went missing again for about six months and I found it in my file drawer while looking for some tax info. Needless to say, it is in a rug in my safe!!!!

Currently, the gremlins have spirited away two Star Luber spring assemblies and I have been taking the reloading room apart. Found quite a few thing I haven't thought about in years. How about ten seven round 1911 mags in a small IPSC bag between two benches! Four Lyman four cavity 429421 44-245-SWCP moulds, two with square grooves and two with round. I do remember buying the square grooved moulds. But the other two????????

Oh well, getting old ain't for the faint of heart!

steg
03-22-2011, 12:13 AM
KLC, thanks for posting that, it took me back half a century or more.......................steg

Three44s
03-22-2011, 12:42 AM
You guys have vivid imaginations!

What you are all describing is this:

C ...... R ........ S!!! ............... that's all! ..............

CRS! ......... and take my word for it ......... I am the POSTER CHILD for this common malady!!

Now will you all quit picking on all them poor little defenseless Gremlins?

Three 44s

thehouseproduct
03-22-2011, 01:01 AM
I've got one too. He has my Surefire L2D Defender $165 flashlight.

man.electric
03-22-2011, 01:08 AM
I think that I have all of you beat. I have half of this wonderful.25 Rifle mold that I would really like to use sitting on my bench. Molds are a lovely thing when they are mated in their natural state. How I possibly lost half of a mold is beyond me. gremlins usually take both halves so they can cast gremlin bullets off in Gremlin land. The only thing worse then losing a mold is losing half of it when the reminder of your loss stares at you every time you are at your bench.

bobthenailer
03-22-2011, 06:50 AM
Those gremlins show up at my house to ! But have you noticed ! what your looking for is allways at the last place you look for it !!!
Or the wrong dialed phone number allways answers the phone .

10x
03-22-2011, 08:37 AM
What is the best cast boolit for defense aginst gremlins?
Do you use a bait and a blind, or can you still-hunt them?
Is there a season and bag limits?
Anyone got recipes?

I shot an AMC Gremlin at the dump onst, it crumbled in a cloud of rust.....

Trey45
03-22-2011, 09:03 AM
10x, those are all valid questions and I look forward to the replies!

Sprue
03-22-2011, 09:20 AM
Pretty much same scenario here. I made a knife sheath for a knife that I received for a xmas gift.. Once it was completed, I've yet to find that knife :oops: :roll:

Wayne Smith
03-22-2011, 09:48 AM
Yup, my Dad, a New Englander, always told me "A place for everything, and everything in it's place". I decided years ago that I have too many things and too few places available. Of course, since I know I'm ADHD, this process of loosing and finding things is normal and continuous. I'm currently keeping an eye out for my thunb drive that has my cartridge block template on it. Just used it and made another block - have no idea where it went.

Thumbcocker
03-22-2011, 10:55 AM
Fellow booliteers let us not forget the positive side of reloading room gremlins. Mine give me presents. Just last week while looking for a screwdriver, I found a 30 carbine mag still in the mummy wrap behind a jug of Ed's red. Don't remember buying it. Other gifts have come along. No grimlin hunting in my loading area.

45nut
03-22-2011, 11:23 AM
It's not just gremlins, its dragons too, they love to collect treasure and build giant hoards of stuff they have no use for, but just can't resist.

Some of you may be familiar with the puppy gremlin too, they always move in paired up with the puppy and place valuables right down where the puppy can get to them for destruction.

There are millions of solitary socks and shoes out there, courtesy of them.

Whats most troubling is these very afflictions are not limited to one segment of the population, they also prey upon the weak minded fools,, yes.. congress has them too.

klcarroll
03-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Whats most troubling is these very afflictions are not limited to one segment of the population, they also prey upon the weak minded fools.............

Hmmm................

Come to think of it; .....In every picture I've ever seen of gremlins, the critters are drawn with really big ears!!!

Kent

waksupi
03-22-2011, 12:12 PM
The worst gremlins I had for making things disappear, was when I had ferrets. They would steal and hide anything they could move.

82nd airborne
03-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Chuck Norris is the only thing that can kill a gremlin, and hes retired, so we are out of luck. I bet my wife could scare on pretty badly though....

10x
03-22-2011, 12:21 PM
I'm looking for an old time inertia mold in 36 caliber. I saw it a week ago but it ain't there now

wiljen
03-22-2011, 02:00 PM
The wallet gremlin is another classic that arrives when you have a wife or children. It leaves your wallet displayed where they can see the edge of bills sticking out thus assuring that they remove any and all money you may have had up to that point. I swear I buried my wallet in the back of my underwear drawer with a lead ingot on top of it and next time I saw it , it was on top of the TV in the living room completely devoid of anything of value.

thx997303
03-22-2011, 02:07 PM
I don't get the wallet gremlins, the only cash that goes into the wallet is for reloading stuff and the like.

Yesterday the $15 that was in my wallet magically turned into a bucket of wheel weights.