PDA

View Full Version : Work Bench

mag_01
11-30-2006, 12:08 AM
:coffee: --I went to reach for something the other day and just about every thing on the work bench moved wherever it wanted to go including the floor---- A work bench clean up is badly needed and I do have good intentions---now I just have to get it done---I also want to use up some of the boolits that have been laying around for I don't know how long but long enough---Love to cast as all of you do so some discipline will have to come in play here.---------Mag

Buckshot
11-30-2006, 02:33 AM
................I reach that point also, to where you either add sideboards to the workbench or you just have to stop and clean it up. Pretty bad when you have 16 feet of reloading and workbench surface and the only spot large enough to set a coffeecup down is on the headstock of the lathe (if you move a toolholder over a bit).

...................Buckshot

Pepe Ray
11-30-2006, 12:38 PM
[smilie=l:

Miserie loves company:twisted:

:-D Pepe Ray[smilie=1:

August
11-30-2006, 01:32 PM
Amen!

Sailman
11-30-2006, 03:12 PM
If you are looking for sympathy, forget it. My work bench is in condition # 3. Condition # 3 is when any self respecting member of the swine family has move away because of the condition he or she was living in.

Sailman

sundog
11-30-2006, 03:26 PM
Yea, pretty sorry state of affairs when EVERY flat surface in sight that is level enough to be capable of holding something is..., holding something, that is. Things really do go better with beer (coffee, coke, goat's milk, designer spring water, whatever) as long as there's a spot to set it down.

Sailman, since the weather is so crappy, I finished loading some .303 ammo last night for the December mil bolt match. Then I did a little house keeping. Funny how I found a few things I had been looking for. sundog

mag_01
11-30-2006, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the nice replies Gentlemen-----But I did not last even 12hrs. and 8 of it I was asleep ----- casted some 45s ---god we love that silver stream---there goes the discipline and buckshot your remark about sideboards made me laugh---Have a good one guys----Mag

KCSO
11-30-2006, 05:01 PM
The FAFS method of storage. First Available Flat Spot

mag_01
12-01-2006, 08:04 PM
Gentlemen I did make some headway on cleaning the bench but still have a long way to go.

robertbank
12-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Well I found my Gerber steel today in the drawer where all my Dillon sundry stuff is. Been looking for that for over a year. Also found out I have extra primer tubes I forgot I bought last time the family fortune went to Scotsdale! Same drawer.:roll:

Ummm if Linda cleans up her sewing room I'll clean up my reloading bunch. Now there is no chance of her doing that so I guess I am good until spring....

Any idea where a guy like me might put a new bag of Win .45acp brass he bought four years ago. I know I put it somewhere I could find it, just can't remember where that spot might have been.

Take Care

Bob

No_1
12-01-2006, 08:57 PM
Any idea where a guy like me might put a new bag of Win .45acp brass he bought four years ago. I know I put it somewhere I could find it, just can't remember where that spot might have been.

If you did not want her to find it then my guess is you put it in her sewing room. That is what I would have done!

Robert

Ken O
12-01-2006, 10:11 PM
I hear ya! Here is another question.... you clean up all your bench space, step back and admire it. How long before you walk in with a cup of coffee and have to shove things around to set it down?

singleshotbuff
12-02-2006, 12:42 AM
LOL!!

This thread rings SO true for me! I have 4 (yes 4!) benches in my gun room and I still can't find a place to set a b---, I mean a frosty beverage LOL.

I get tired of it every so often and spend a couple of days cleaning. During which time I find stuff I forgot I had.

I am about to that point right now. As a matter of fact, we have really windy and cold weather moving in here in NE Ohio right now, so this weekend seems like a good time to clear off the benches.

Hope I find some cool stuff.

SSB

broomhandle
12-02-2006, 01:00 AM
Hi Guys,

It's the samething here in Augusta Ga.
I spent three days, 8-9 hours a day cleaning and sorting "gun stuff", three months ago. It looked so good, my wife took me out to eat!

I have spent 4-5 hours looking for two sets of Wolf Mauser broomhandle spring sets. I put away so I would have them when I need them.:roll:

I need them. Cann't find them!:(

I still can see the table top in three places, thats a good thing!

Be well,
broom

Texasflyboy
12-02-2006, 09:19 AM
This thread is a real coincidence...I was going to start a similar thread asking if anyone had ever done a "stand-down" of their reloading room because that's where I am now. Last month I emptied my reloading room (read: garage) to the bare walls, and I mean bare walls. I even vacuumed the 1,000 or so spent primers that seemed to be in every nook and cranny.

The wife was the motivation...When I spent 20 minutes looking for the 4 hammers I own and end up using a rawhide mallet to drive a nail..it's time to clean up.

This all started with a single Rockchucker, and ended up with every flat surface covered with bits and pieces of paraphernalia after 15 years. I was wasting time looking for tool heads, primers, bullets, dies...you name it. So, all of it went into storage. I am fortunate to have a friend who owns a large (25,000 sq ft) warehouse with empty attic space. He graciously allowed me to overtake the attic space for storage. So, all the old stuff went there, and is slowly being sorted, re-discovered, cleaned, lubed, and inventoried for its eventual return to my home.

Meanwhile, the garage was cleaned, repaired and painted. I am about 75% complete on the re-construction. I installed work benches at 37" height on each of the three walls, in a giant U shape. I installed one 12" Deep x 40" Wide x the depth of the table drawer every 45" along the length of the tables all the way around the room. Went to the discount store and bought those wood silverware organizers (see photo)
http://users2.ev1.net/~eastus1/a/tray.jpg

and glued/stapled those together across the top of each drawer and made rails so they could slide back and forth on the top of the drawer, but moved out of the way to access the deep storage underneath. So I now have handy compartment space on the top of each drawer.

Since the big U shaped area is all open now, I placed a square metal table I fabricated in the warehouse. The table is 1" thick 4' x 4' with 4" steel tube legs. A shelf made out of expanded metal (Bar-B-Q tray metal) is under the table for storage. I plan to drill and tap the table for the reloading machines, my two 550's, the 1050, and the two Rockchuckers. The Star sizer lubers go there also. I wanted a table that would be rock solid, and I think I accomplished my goal. The big casting pot is the last thing to go in the big U and it goes back into its old spot, near the side door to the garage (for ventilation).

Some notes on the remodel:

1. Do not under any circumstances, start sanding sheetrock while ANY of your reloading equipment is still in the same room. Removing drywall dust from equipment accounts for 99% of my free time these days. Live and learn...

2. Spent primers reproduce. Fact.

3. The odd live primer you dropped years ago may well fire when vacuumed up into a bucket full of metal bits and pieces.

4. Do this once in your life, pat yourself on the back when done, take photos, and never do it again.

:-D

mag_01
12-02-2006, 10:48 AM
:coffee: ---Wow what a project----You did good Texasflyboy----You make us all proud--maybe yes maybe someday my work shop will get to the point you are at present-------hhhmmmmmmmmm well to be truthfully thats never going to happen. I think we tend to save (stuff) yes (stuff) ---what is stuff well you all know---and those primers all over the shop floor seem to have little ones and multiply--just a fact of life--all spent of course----enjoying this thread--and I'm making an attempt to clean my act up--its either that or build another building to continue down the road to making good ammo and happy rifles at the range--I should be heading to the range shortly---cold but sunny---something about the sun that makes us feel good---let see if I can shoot good---have a good one all--------Mag:Fire: :Fire: :Fire:

sundog
12-02-2006, 11:23 AM
TFB, I'm afraid you may have set the standard a bit too high for the rest of us... sundog

felix
12-02-2006, 12:07 PM
Way too high! Tommy said for a Christmas present he will help clean up my reloading area. Pictures are first, I guess, so you can see how I stack up cokes, coffee, on top of things. Available space? Absolutely none in a 20 by 15 room. Bed, sewing machine, card tables all filled to the brim. ... Lazy packrat

versifier
12-02-2006, 03:31 PM
Even the best of us have to commit neatness every so often. But, stop and think about it for a minute. It's no wonder we casters and loaders tend to be packrats. Buy a new tool and it's good for twenty years that seem to pass in the blink of an eye, and then your left handed whosumdatchit breaks and you discover that they stopped making it ten years ago. (Ah, but I have the part somewhere, I was smart and bought two of them, picked up a few at a great deal at the gunshow fifteen years back, yard sale pluck ten years ago....) So, we hoard parts whenever we acquire them and put them away in safe places so we will have them when needed. The only problem is that twenty years of other important acquisitions have since been plied on top of them and we haven't got a gold plated clue where they are. So, the only option left is to commit neatness, something we prefer to avoid at all costs because it means disturbing the remembered locations of all the stuff we do use all the time, and then it's months before we can find everything again. It's a viscious cycle, especially when someone is nagging us "When are you going to do something about that godawful mess? Oh, you mean there's a workbench under there somewhere? I'll believe that when I see it...." etc., ad nauseam, ad infinitum.... Life is tough, ain't it? But, considering the alternative, I'll get the shovel and start on it. Now if I can just remember where did I put the damned thing...... I'm sure it's right around here somewhere......

Uncle Grinch
12-02-2006, 07:04 PM
Oh... how I can relate to this thread. I am really anal when it comes to wanting things done in such'n' such way. I like things clean whan I start something, but my problem is I'm a packrat at heart and I don't have the space to store all those goodies away. I see too much potential in things the average person would throw away so I either pack it away (many times way away so it is often lost) or I take it apart so I can salvage it's componets.

When I was working, I managed via the stack principle using the priority rational, ie... the closer it was to the top, the more important it was. And the closer it was to me the more priority it had.

But I'm retired now and don't want to get back in that rat race.

trk
12-03-2006, 10:03 AM
The wife was the motivation...When I spent 20 minutes looking for the 4 hammers I own and end up using a rawhide mallet to drive a nail..it's time to clean up.

My criteria is simple. When I set something down, pause for about 1 second, and can't find it - the desk/workbench is too messy. It happens OFTEN.