PDA

View Full Version : Tried breech seating with the Vetterli today

jonk
03-20-2011, 07:32 PM
My 69/71 Vetterli has a LONG throat. Coupled with boolits that are too fat for my spec seating die, I thought I'd give the idea of breech seating, at least with the limited tools I have, a try.

300 gr .432" bullet, LLA. Dropped it in the chamber, snugged it up with a dowel against the bolt face. Then charged a case with 14 gr of Trail boss, filling the case about 7/8 full. Carefully loaded to keep it from spilling in the chamber, and fired.

I can't say that it turned the gun from a dog into a match rifle, but it did cut my group size in half- now about 3" instead of 5 1/2" at 100 yards. Part of it is, that isn't the best powder I've found for the gun but I figured it would be one of the most forgiving to start with.

Sure got guys at the range staring. Not one of them had ever heard of the procedure and a few even said it was 'unsafe, will cause it to blow up.'

Lots of fun though, will merit a repeat with 4759 powder and a plug of floral foam bearing against the bullet, and a dedicated seating tool.