PDA

View Full Version : My range day was shot in the ***

clintsfolly
03-20-2011, 04:30 PM
Was shooting some PP load in my 458AccRel(big flop) and a hunter,s beagle keep running in to the range. after 10 min the dog is running down range and falls down yelping,get up and runs to the closest shooter yelping all the way. She has on a shock collar! After10 shocks she's running from shooter to shooter and i get my hands on her I remove the collar. and tied her up. I tied her to a stake that was in sight of the road. In the next 35-40 minutes the collar was shocked close to 100 times!! When the hunter showed up he grabbed her and the collar then got real mad that i had remove the collar. he got in his truck and drove off before i got to the parking lot. Was going to get the plate# and turn him into the sheriff for animal abuse! Was I wrong to remove the collar? IMHO he needs to have that collar on his neck and get hit like he was hitting the dog!!!! I going to go pet and play with my dog now!!! Clint

dk17hmr
03-20-2011, 04:35 PM
I would have done the same thing....I probably would have taken the collar apart, took the batteries out and put them in backwards, than put it back on the dog that way he felt like an .... when he got home and realized it.

We had a dog when I was young that would run whole field before we got our shotguns loaded and if there was a bird in it he would be on point waiting for us, he listened to my dad great but wouldnt listen to my mom so they got a shock collar for him, he would just run until it stopped zapping him and than sit down.

Shock collar have a purpose, but to zap a dog that might have been lost for over an hour is un called for.

WildmanJack
03-20-2011, 04:43 PM
Shame u didn't put the collar on him and give him a taste of his own medicine..

montana_charlie
03-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Zapping a dog you can't see is a crime.

The zap is only effective if it makes the dog do something you want him to do. If you can't see him, you don't get any effect except to drive the animal crazy.

In your place, I think I would have done something to make the owner talk with me about shock collars. That might have been a friendly conversation...or maybe not. But the dog deserves some help from somebody...

CM

Trey45
03-20-2011, 04:51 PM
I don't cotton to animal abuse of any kind, the man should consider himself lucky.....

Von Gruff
03-20-2011, 04:55 PM
I dont think I could have been polite about that unjustified and unknowledgable mis-use and I would not only have removed it but I am not sure he would have got it back. I am looking at my dog sitting accross from me now and I cant concieve of the black heart it would take to shock him they way you described.

Von Gruff.

clintsfolly
03-20-2011, 05:43 PM
Yes I dropped the collar on the ground by the dog when he got there he cussed us out,grabbed the dog, and was gone before I could get to the parking lot! If it ever happen again the collar is going to make a great target! Thanks for the reply,s i was thinking that normal people do not do thing like that but i have been wrong before. thank God he's not normal!! Clint

Bulltipper
03-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Good Man Clint!

oldhickory
03-20-2011, 06:01 PM
I help needy dogs every chance I get, if the owner doesn'tlike it...Too damn bad!

Thumbcocker
03-20-2011, 08:06 PM
You done good.

white eagle
03-20-2011, 08:24 PM
you should have followed your instincts
lazy man can't train his dog shouldn't be honored with a dog

c3d4b2
03-20-2011, 08:34 PM
We have picked up dogs on several occasions. We had all age field trial dogs at one time that would escape from the kennel and go AWOL at times. The record for one dog was just under 15 miles away. We were always glad for the call on the lost dogs and have always tried to pay the favors forward.

We had one dog we picked up for well over a month before the owner showed up. It seems they were on an extended trip and the dog got away from the person watching the dog. When they got back they started looking and eventually found us.

One time we came home to a dog tied to the horse trailer. It seems one of the neighbors found a dog running loose and thought it was one of ours and brought it home. I found a name and phone number on the collar and called. The neighbor stopped by later and said he found the dog and brought it home. It turns out he found it down the road for the real owner. We had quite a laugh about the situation.

The neighbors have learned to check our kennels when their dog gets loose.

I would have put the collar in the truck and the dog in the dog crate. There would be some consideration and discussions with the officials about how / if the dog was returned to the owner.

gray wolf
03-20-2011, 09:35 PM
OK now you got my attention,
I was saving my 1,000 post for something good and I guess this is it.
I have my two beautiful dogs sitting right here. If anyone ever mistreated them I would hunt them down. I hunt for food so my family can eat, we thank the Lord for every kill.
To mistreat an animal is the lowest thing a person can do IMHO.
Dogs are special to me and Julie, We live in this tiny little cabin with the two girls Sophia and Ashly. They go with us every place and are part of this pack. Ashly has protected Julie more than one time, and Sophia is my alarm dog.
People that mistreat dogs are scum, period .
You did the correct thing, I would have done more but I was not there. Sometimes the situation dictates what we should do. Sounds like you used your head and did what you could,

condorjohn
03-20-2011, 10:17 PM
WikdmanJacj... Mega dittoes...

1Shirt
03-20-2011, 10:34 PM
Kudo's! 1Shirt!:coffee:

jswaff
03-20-2011, 10:46 PM
Maybe the shock collar should be put someplace other than the owners neck!!

fatelk
03-21-2011, 01:16 AM
I'm not a dog person, or even an animal lover in general really, but I hate to see animals mistreated. You did good by taking the collar off. Sounds like he was just mad and shocking the dog out of anger; that's just cruel. Hopefully once he cooled off he realized what a jerk he had been.

Unfortunately, the world is full of jerks. A coworker told me that once, and it stuck with me. He said just don't let them get to you, and try not to be one.

Ronbo256
03-21-2011, 01:25 AM
You did the right thing. That shock collar should have been placed someplace where the sun doesn't shine!

Bret4207
03-21-2011, 06:25 AM
Shock collars are excellent training tools, but like all tools they can be misused. Get a guy who thinks shocking the dog will "make him come" or IOW doesn't understand how a collar works and combine it with a beagles natural urge to run and you have the makings for just what you describe. I don't believe in poking my nose in where it doesn't belong, but this guy needed a little instruction on the how and why to shock collars.

casterofboolits
03-21-2011, 08:07 AM
I have a Husky who's purpose in life is to escape the fenced back yard. I've thought of getting one of the collars, but just can't bring myself to do it. Don't believe in choke chains either.

The kids next door are happy to chase him down and bring him home as there is a standard five dollar reward!

Dogs look to us humans for love and care. Any one who breaks that pact, doesn't deserve to have a dog.

Mustangpalmer1911
03-21-2011, 08:17 AM
In the perfect world you all should of held the *** down put the shock collar on him and gone to town. I love my dogs almost as much and I love my family, and STRONGLY believe 90% of the dogs on this planet planet are better than 90% of the humans. Someone who can treat their pup like that don't deserve to have them. If you put Mike Vick and and murder on their knees in front of me gave me a firearm told me I could pop one it would be all I could manage to shoot the murder over Vick. I would probably try to get both shots off before they could stop me.

In this world I would have got his plate and called the dog warden and local sheriff.

lbaize3
03-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Our feelings are identical, but I doubt I could have expressed them near as well. I don't take a cussing lightly and probably would have challenged the fool with the shock collar. It would have turned out badly (for him) but I am sure I would have had to wait in line, knowing my other shooting range members as I do.

I have absolutely no use for people who mistreat animals. And standing in as a defender of such animals is something a man should do (IMHO). Maybe I can state it better by saying it is something I feel I should do....

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_113004d87b1e70bb4b.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=268)

This is my furry child and my backup (nephew.... now 26 years old, 6'2" tall and 300lb of muscles.)

lylejb
03-23-2011, 08:36 PM
"collar?.....what collar? I didn't see any collar.

All I saw was this dog running around down range.

A shock collar?.....well, how many times did you hit the button? ......50? well, no wonder the dog run off. He probably tore the collar off to get away from it.

If I find the collar, I'll gladly give you a call, what's your name and number?....."

With any luck, the next call would be from the police.

Southern Son
03-24-2011, 03:24 AM
Clint,
You showed great restraint, I know that it was more than I could have shown under the circumstances because you didn't punch the snot out of the fool. He is trash and needs discover what it is like to be hurt for no reason and have no idea of how to stop it.

If you are ever passing through Rockhampton in Central Queensland, Oz, let me know and I will shout you a beer.

I do like lylejb's idea. I think that it is the best so far.

clintsfolly
03-24-2011, 08:14 AM
Thanks to all! In times of trouble it good to know that your not to only one that feels like this! Clint

songdog53
03-24-2011, 08:22 AM
Shock collars are good if they teach a dog from getting into road where might get run over and only used till they learn not to. But even then it is a cruel thing to me to think of doing that. When owner could take time and patience to teach them in more humane way. I agree this man should have the shock collar put on him and used same way he was doing it. You did good Clint and world needs more thoughtful people like you for with dogs you get unconditional love and they deserve to be treated with love and care.

jimmeyjack
03-25-2011, 01:28 AM
I had a dog that would chase anything that he would see.I bought a shock collar and put it on him. Well the first time he started to take off i let him have it and I swear he changed gears from fast to faster! I took it off for a while then decided to give it one more try. I went to the store with him in the back of my truck and when I got home I noticed he was bouncing off the walls roof and just goin crazy. I then realized I was pushing on the remote. I felt so bad i took it off and swore the thing off forever.
On a dare later I put it on and took a 3 second shock:shock:. My teeth hurt for an hour :mrgreen:

badbob454
03-25-2011, 10:19 AM
i would have thrown the collar in to the field and say it's out there if you want it go find it or better yet put it up on the shoothin berm and have a countdown and everyone shoot it ... like a firing squad

jlchucker
03-26-2011, 10:24 AM
I don't cotton to animal abuse of any kind, the man should consider himself lucky.....

+1 about that!