PDA

View Full Version : What gear does Bear Grylls from Man vs. Wild use?

blasternank
03-20-2011, 02:21 PM
I see he has to have some awesome boots as he is always climbing, going through water and ruffing through God knows what.

Also, what type of knife does he have? He uses it for so many things so it has to be a good one.

Any other gear worth mentioning?

Thanks.

JeffinNZ
03-20-2011, 05:15 PM
Not sure but he got a h3ll of a rattle in NZ a month ago when he was crossing a river on a wire as the big shake hit us.

blasternank
03-20-2011, 06:48 PM
So he was there during the quake? That outta be a good show.

Thumbcocker
03-20-2011, 08:04 PM
i would like to know where he stows his ego. That sucker must weigh a ton.

stubshaft
03-20-2011, 08:41 PM
i would like to know where he stows his ego. That sucker must weigh a ton.

He uses the obama bag.[smilie=l:

BulletFactory
03-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Catching food would be simpler if he carried a 1911. Basic survival tool. Could start a fire with powder and a primer too.

Alchemist
03-20-2011, 08:54 PM
No way you'll ever see him with a firearm....it would just make too much sense to be armed out in "the bush".

You'll never catch me out in the boonies without at least a .357 Magnum. Of course, I'm no Bear Grylls either.....

spqrzilla
03-20-2011, 08:56 PM
Bear Grylls evidently endorse a set of knives because they are showing up in Sportsmansguide catalog on closeout.

10x
03-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Bear Grylls evidently endorse a set of knives because they are showing up in Sportsmansguide catalog on closeout.

But is that the brand of knife he uses?
And how many does he use during a show?

stubshaft
03-20-2011, 10:47 PM
The last show I watched he snared a hog, dispatched it with a sharpened stick then set about to disembowel it with a knife that looked to be about 8" - 10" long with a fancy orange handle.

MT Gianni
03-20-2011, 11:01 PM
There was some You-tube footage of him a few years back climbing a steep volcanic ledge in the middle of nowhere. It then expanded to show that it was 50 yards from a busy highway. I believe Les Stroud aka Survivorman is fairly representive of what he claims. I believe Bear to be a braggart and showman.

montana_charlie
03-20-2011, 11:15 PM
I believe Les Stroud aka Survivorman is fairly representive of what he claims. I believe Bear to be a braggart and showman.
I'm not inclined to say anything bad about either one of them.

But, I saw a show where Stroud had a rifle with him...and permission to kill an elk (or something specific like that). I think I remember him having at least one good chance at a shot, but he failed to make meat.

CM

BOOM BOOM
03-20-2011, 11:43 PM
HI,
I PREFER LES STROUD, more realistic.
BEAR takes to many unnecessary chances.
Get a Buck, or Old Timer, Shreade, or most any major American knife brand, they are are good knifes.
I agree , a good rifle, handgun, or shotgun is part or what I consider essential equipment.:Fire::Fire:

home in oz
03-21-2011, 01:07 AM
Some sort of firearm to make meat.

Bret4207
03-21-2011, 06:29 AM
I've seen several items endorsed by Grylis in magazines. I wouldn't worry myself over what he "uses". A good deal of the time he has a staff there to replace anything that gets wet and soggy or fails. At least Les does it all by himself.

I've watched Les quite a few times, Grylis only a couple. I agree with the assessment that Grylis is more the showman.

3006guns
03-21-2011, 07:09 AM
I have to agree that Les is the more realistic in a "reality" show. He's had several things go wrong and leaves them on camera as an admission that not everything goes right. His whole show just seems to be more down to earth when showing what problems you would face. Besides, he's not ex "special forces" or something....he's just a guy.

He's even had the brains to have a firearm along on a couple of shows....once because of polar bear concerns, once with a hunting partner (a shotgun, bagged some birds) and the moose hunt attempt. To the less informed, it shows that man is a puny species indeed but with a firearm he's in control of his own fate.

Bear tends to build rafts and have all manner of solutions that are a little far fetched for the situation. Les stays dry, stays hydrated and is constantly looking for food sources....the basic tenents of any survival crisis.

Charlie Two Tracks
03-21-2011, 07:11 AM
I figure that both are just a show. Entertaining at times. Most people now don't know how to survive once they leave the city limits. It's just the way times are now. IMO

82nd airborne
03-21-2011, 08:30 AM
I think it is a terrible show, but I have seen him use a Gerber ASEK II knife, which is very good as a combat knife as it has a heavy blade, and is robust. I carried one over seas and it now sits in the door of my truck.

10x
03-21-2011, 08:42 AM
I figure that both are just a show. Entertaining at times. Most people now don't know how to survive once they leave the city limits. It's just the way times are now. IMO

Understated.
Without knowing the terrain, the basic resources available, and having many of those resources close at hand the success of survival can drop considerably.
I have some experience teaching winter survival skills - minus 20 to minus 40. - and can state that one person in two feet of snow can survive until their body fat is gone so long as they devote their energy to setting up a shelter, and a good supply of fire wood. Having a tin can or pot to melt snow in for drinking water will increase the chances of survival significantly.

Part of survival is to practice - not just with the stuff you have at home but take a walk in the woods on a rainy day (or a day with light snow) with several types of fire starting gear.
BTW: many of the fire starting techniques that work well at home under ideal conditions with the "right materials" do not work in the deep woods with cold fingers and water soaked or frozen materials. What works well here (400 miles east of Ketichcan AK) will not work well near Ketichican nor will it work well 800 miles north of here. But those skills will work very well in woodlands in the eastern U.S. and the west down into Mexico.

The stars of these survival shows show good skills and are in extremely good physical condition- sometimes they also show improvidence and over confidence. Both improvidence and over confidence are not good survival traits. Want to survive - minimize the risk taking - maximize fire, shelter, and food, and getting found or getting out.

I teach survival skills but with very bad knees would not be able to survive for very long at all without support from others.

Timothy Treadwell was an expert on bears - he claimed he knew them inside and out. He also took risks and came to "know" the inside of bears a lot better than he planed - at least from the evidence found in the bear scat....

Lee
03-21-2011, 09:36 AM
When you said "Sportsmansguide" you said it all. I'll have nothing to do with either of them then. Another couple of Ben Cannons.............
:takinWiz:"SG" and the "Greedy One"

MtGun44
03-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Sorry to disagree about Treadwell. IMO, he was a loon with bear fantasies who projected
human needs, motives and emotions onto bears. He was lucky to have lived as long as he
did and MANY knowledgeable people predicted his precise demise well in advance. Only
false truths will be learned from Treadwell unless you take the lesson of not screwing around
with the great bears unarmed, and pushing yourself into their "space".

Bear is a very knowledgable and fit person, and he is definitely a showoff. Of course, you
can maybe apply the old "It ain't braggin' if you can actually do it!" saw. If I was lost in
the wild, I'd like to have him along. He eats weird stuff just for the gross-out factor, no
doubt. Stroud is the more low key, more "Mr Everyman", less "Superman". I enjoy both
shows, learned a few things from both, but would DEFINITELY not do some of the climbing
that Bear does. I used to climb mountains, up to maybe 5.8 level when I was younger, but
unroped moves like he does scare the C*** out of me. I halfway expect him to get seriously
hurt on his stunts one day. Stroud is more the calm, careful man that I would prefer to
emulate.

Bill

spqrzilla
03-21-2011, 03:46 PM
Les Stroud's show is pretty good. I don't agree with everything he's said or done in terms of survival education but overall I think his show runs 95% good advice.

Bear Grylls however shows silly, stupid and often dangerously risky things as "survival" advice. I advise my students to not take any of his advice, myself.