PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a rifle

krag35
03-20-2011, 11:29 AM
I have used the search function, but want to make sure I have this correct.

I have a rifle and a shotgun I am thinking about selling. I get a signed FFL licence from the purchaser and ship to his/ her dealer with a copy of the licence in the package. Is that all there is to it?

TIA

krag35

RobS
03-20-2011, 12:25 PM
That is what I did the last time I sold and shipped a rifle. Also tell the other party to check and make sure it is a legal firearm in their state or the FFL will be hanging on to it for them. You may also want to make a bill of sale that tells what the gun is, serial number, and who the gun is going to.

scb
03-20-2011, 12:40 PM
That's what I did when I sold a rifle to a member here a few weeks ago. The only other thing I would suggest is if you yourself aren't an FFL holder that the buyer make sure their FFL dealer will accepts shipments from non FFL holders. Some will not erring on the side of caution. My question is how long do I have to hold on to this piece of paper (the signed FFL), 7 years? Forever?

HATCH
03-20-2011, 12:57 PM
I have sold a few firearms (aks mostly) over the years.

Get a copy of the receiving FFL. You keep the signed original and you include a copy of it with the firearm.
Make a copy of your driver's license and include it as well.
This makes it easier on the receiving FFL holder to log it into their books.
That is the main reason FFL holders don't like to accept firearms via interstate from a NON-FFL holder. Paperwork.
Ship the firearm using a trackable method and buy insurance to cover the cost of the firearm. Even if the buyer didn't want insurance you need to buy it just in case.

Now, how long do you have to hold onto the FFL? That's a good question.
I can't tell you how other states operate but I can tell you how SC does.
Here in SC you don't "register" firearms. When you transfer or purchase a firearm from a dealer you fill out a 4473 (same as everywhere else) and they make a Brady call (unless you got a CWP like me).

If you purchased the weapon NEW then I would recommend that you hold onto the FFL forever. The reason being is that if it ever gets traced they will come to you and ask you where the firearm went. You aren't gonna go to jail if you say I can't remember who I sold it to because its been x amount of years..... But it makes it easier if you say it was shipped to XYZ ffl holder. Then they can go look in their books.
Now if you purchased the weapon used then I wouldn't worry about holding onto the FFL for more then a couple months.

This is the reason behind what I say
Gun trace - ATF goes to manufacter and asks where did it go. The manufacturer says it was shipped to "A" distributor". The ATF goes to "A" and ask them where did it go. They say it was sold to "B" dealer. They go to "B" dealer and look in their books to see who they transfered it to and it gives them "C" customer. They go to "C" and "C" says I sold it at a gun show in a FTF transaction. If your state doesn't require records of the transaction for FTF (SC doesn't) then the trace stops there. If you happen to be unlucky and have multiple traces done on multiple firearms (because they were used in a crime) and it comes back to you. Without the proper paper trail it will look bad for you. Thats the ABC's on traces

Three-Fifty-Seven
03-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Then wrap it in bubble wrap . . .

[smilie=s:

blasternank
03-20-2011, 03:08 PM
Don't forget to make a copy of the FFL for your records as well. I've sold and shipped a few guns and all of them are sent as stated above. Gun in box with FFL in box with it. I've mainly shipped mine via priority mail. If you sign it up online you can get a free tracking number with it.

Geraldo
03-20-2011, 05:57 PM
An FFL I shipped handguns to a few years ago told me to always check the ATF website to make sure that the FFL receiving the firearm is not expired, suspended, etc.

Rockydog
03-20-2011, 06:22 PM
Get a copy of the receiving FFL. You keep the signed original and you include a copy of it with the firearm.
Make a copy of your driver's license and include it as well.
This makes it easier on the receiving FFL holder to log it into their books.

Sorry to disagree but, I would absolutely not send or give a copy of my drivers license to anyone. A driver's license is a huge piece of the puzzle when it comes to identity theft. In many states your DL# is your SS number too. It contains your address, birthdate and physical description. IMO sending it off to a total stranger is crazy. I'd pay a fee to have my ffl ship it or sell it locally. RD

Three-Fifty-Seven
03-20-2011, 06:32 PM
The gun I just shipped yesterday all there was in there was the gun, and the first two pages of the gunbroker page with the buyers name on it. My return address is on the package . . . I do not have a ffl, but I kept the copy of the guys ffl I sent it to.

cajun shooter
03-22-2011, 09:27 AM
Most receiving FFL's will require that you submit a copy of your license. If you don't then they don't have to receive your gun. They are required by Federal law to secure proper ID. If you will not show your DL then how do you buy a gun in your home state? By the way you may save a bunch of money by sending the long gun via the USPS. They have a small form to sign and that's it. Fed-ex and UPS wanted almost $100 for me to ship a rifle to Alaska and the PO did it for $60. They also got the gun there in less time.