PDA

View Full Version : sizing necessary?

soldierbilly1
03-19-2011, 10:56 AM
Just wondering, for shooting straight wall pistol cartridges, e.g. the 9 mm, is sizing the case an absolute necessity? thought I would ask before I blew myself up!
I am thinking, if the M die expands the inside walls of the case, why bother? Instead of buying the die, can I not omit the sizing, decap the case, prime, charge, seat bullet, and apply a light taper crimp?

I'm just sayin' ... maybe this would be a good way to go to test for a possible leading cure...assuming one was swaging the bullet down with the case!

just thinkin' out loud here.
billy boy

btroj
03-19-2011, 11:04 AM
If you don't size the bullets will not be held by the case walls as they have expanded upon firing.
Sort answer, YES. It is not only required it is critical in a 9mm. If the bullet is not held tight enough to keep it from seeding deeper into the case you can have press sky rocket.

I understand your thought process but it is way off. Take a fired case. A bullet will probably just slip right in. What holds the bullet in place? A crimp is not enough.

Please keep sizing.

bdixon
03-19-2011, 11:10 AM
I have actually tried doing that. It didn't work for me, there was not enough pressure on the bullet and when the round chambered, the bullet would just get pushed into the brass.

The M die is great, it expands the brass to be barely smaller than the bullet. It makes it so there is still tension along the whole bullet, I don't think you could get that with just crimping an un-sized case.

soldierbilly1
03-19-2011, 11:17 AM
I will not try this. just thought I would throw it out there.
I am new to the boolits crowd, mostly shooting HP with J bullets, we did a lot of full length and (some, not much) neck sizing.
billy