PDA

View Full Version : Granddaughter is makin boolits

44fanatic
03-19-2011, 10:16 AM
Over the past couple of years, my 14yr old granddaughter (adopted) has shown a little interest in hunting but not shooting. The other day, after she claimed she was bored, I got her to casting a few boolits. Tried ladle casting and she didnt like that so we moved over to ol' drippy. Made about 10 casting before good boolits started dropping. Need to get her casting tempo up a bit so she can start cutting the sprue by hand.

She got bored after about 30 minutes but has asked when she can cast again. Might be an opportunity to get her out to the range more often as summer approaches. The bad news, I think is she using casting to get the "boys" attention... :-?

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy353/44fanatic/DSC02008.jpg

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy353/44fanatic/DSC02014.jpg

Charlie Two Tracks
03-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Good job 44fanatic. Even though she may be trying to get "the boys attention" she is learning something that does not involve electronics. On another note...... that is one heck of a black handled sprue cutter on the bench! :)

Doc Highwall
03-19-2011, 12:43 PM
44fanatic, have her help you load some of those bullets for a nice plinking load and have her shoot some reactive targets like plastic drink bottles, that will get her attention.

300winmag
03-19-2011, 01:31 PM
Maybe I can help her in keeping interest. I will buy 100 from her to shoot in my 629 8 3/8 let me know.
Thanks
300winmag

Wayne Smith
03-19-2011, 03:26 PM
44fanatic, rest easy if you are right. She will get boys' attention, and if she gets a boy's attention from casting there is a very good chance he will be the right kind of boy, or at least have the basis and you have the opportunity to train him!

mold maker
03-19-2011, 04:17 PM
Ya better keep the shotgun loaded and handy. With her looks those boys she is attracting may start hanging around you front door, 3 deep.

AZ-Stew
03-19-2011, 05:33 PM
Ya better keep the shotgun loaded and handy. With her looks those boys she is attracting may start hanging around you front door, 3 deep.

Then he can theach THEM to cast. He may never have to pick up a mould again. Sit back, drink a beer, supervise. Can't beat that.

Regards,

Stew

44fanatic
03-19-2011, 06:57 PM
Then he can theach THEM to cast. He may never have to pick up a mould again. Sit back, drink a beer, supervise. Can't beat that.

Regards,

Stew

There has been a neighborhood boy that seems to be a good kid coming around. Likes to hunt and fish but his father is working 70-80 hours a week. I told him if he wants and his parents approve that I would teach him to make boolits, reload and take him out shooting. Carlie dosnt seem to interested in him, her choice to make. Still no dating for her, 2 more years for that and I am try not to get to involved in her social life unless they are a bad influence.

10x
03-19-2011, 07:19 PM

Be cautious - you have to be nice to every one she brings home. He just may turn into a son-in-law one day and some of those can make the best hunting partners.
Especially when you have a moose or big deer to pack out of a canyon or coulee.

44fanatic
03-19-2011, 08:00 PM
If the kid has respect but no fear of my shotgun, he is probably a kid that will have my respect. Im hopin his family will have land and wont mind bringing a two new hunters onto their land...but thats like winning the lottery.

AZ-Stew
03-19-2011, 08:17 PM
There has been a neighborhood boy that seems to be a good kid coming around. Likes to hunt and fish but his father is working 70-80 hours a week. I told him if he wants and his parents approve that I would teach him to make boolits, reload and take him out shooting. Carlie dosnt seem to interested in him, her choice to make. Still no dating for her, 2 more years for that and I am try not to get to involved in her social life unless they are a bad influence.

That guy just MIGHT turn out to be your son-in-law. He sounds like a good kid. At least he was started right. Maybe Carile just doesn't know him well enough. Getting him into the garage might help. I'm not trying to play remote-control-matchmaker, just saying that if you take in the young man on your own to teach him the skills you know, Carlie just might find some value in as she finds out more about him. You don't even have to have them in the casting/loading area at the same time. Just having him around may be enough to get them started. If it doesn't work out, at least you'll have spent some quality time with him that his own father can't provide right now and you'll develop a friend for life.

+1 on not getting involved in their social life. I only ever told my son (one of three kids) not to hang around one other kid because that kid had gotten my son in trouble once. My daughters brought home a series of goofballs about whom I never commented, figuring that my girls had good values and would figure out things for themselves. They finally settled on a couple of Dad-approved guys (I never made my approval a condition of their marriage, it just turned out that these guys met my approval). One marriage didn't work out, but that's their business. I've never carped about it.

Anyway, bring the kid around as YOUR friend, teach him what you know, and let nature take its course.

Regards,

Stew

Olevern
03-19-2011, 08:40 PM
mentoring that young man is how we will pass this passion of ours down to the next generation. Go for it and good on you.

SciFiJim
03-20-2011, 10:49 AM
She got bored after about 30 minutes but has asked when she can cast again.

Attention span is a trained thing. As she practices, her attention span will get better. So, More Practice Young Lady. After all, practice makes perfect! :Fire:

blasternank
03-20-2011, 02:03 PM
44fanatic, rest easy if you are right. She will get boys' attention, and if she gets a boy's attention from casting there is a very good chance he will be the right kind of boy, or at least have the basis and you have the opportunity to train him!

My thoughts exactly! Also, the boys will know that you shoot and possibly at them if they get out of line! ;)

BOOM BOOM
03-20-2011, 11:34 PM
HI,
COOL, I have a 18 mo. grandson , he has already watched me size & lube bullets, I warned his M & D IF I watched him he would learn. Yes, 2nd time they left him w/ me he watched me cast & quench a few.:bigsmyl2:
:Fire::Fire:

Frank
03-22-2011, 12:12 PM
44fanatic:
She got bored after about 30 minutes but has asked when she can cast again.
It sounds like she's really not interested in your hobby but by asking when's the next time she can do it, she's trying to be considerate of your feelings. Same thing with the 'little interest in hunting'. Maybe she's just being polite to you.

1Shirt
03-25-2011, 07:53 PM
Ya gotta start'um someplace!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

44fanatic
03-26-2011, 12:30 AM
I had a great night tonight. Was casting some 44's and had help out there. My 10yr old granddaughter was placeing gas checks and my 5yr old grandson was seating the gc's and sizing. My grandson got a kick out of watching the boolits collect in the Lee sizer container. Got about 150 boolits sitting in the pan lube that we will take out tommorow.

My 10yo tried casting a bit but it went a bit slow for her and she could not keep the Lymann mold hot enough. Think I am going to pull out the Lee 44 mold and let her try ladle casting.
If things keep up the way they are, I may have to start drinking beer more often...sit back and watch. When we finished up, made sure that they washed hands twice before grabbing a snack and explained the importance of this.

Told the kids that WE would load up some powder puff loads and that they would get to shoot the Marlin.

With the free labor, maybe I ought to get my license and start selling boolits...maybe not, that would take the pleasure out of it....LOL

Frank
03-26-2011, 11:37 AM
44fanatic:
I had a great night tonight. Was casting some 44's and had help out there. My 10yr old granddaughter was placeing gas checks and my 5yr old grandson was seating the gc's and sizing. My grandson got a kick out of watching the boolits collect in the Lee sizer container. Got about 150 boolits sitting in the pan lube that we will take out tommorow.

My 10yo tried casting a bit but it went a bit slow for her and she could not keep the Lymann mold hot enough. Think I am going to pull out the Lee 44 mold and let her try ladle casting.
If things keep up the way they are, I may have to start drinking beer more often...sit back and watch. When we finished up, made sure that they washed hands twice before grabbing a snack and explained the importance of this.

Told the kids that WE would load up some powder puff loads and that they would get to shoot the Marlin.

With the free labor, maybe I ought to get my license and start selling boolits...maybe not, that would take the pleasure out of it....LOL
It's good to have someone like yourself take the time to teach young people a great hobby. There needs to be more grandparents like you.

BOOM BOOM
03-26-2011, 11:55 PM
hi,
sounds like a dream come true!:Fire::Fire: