PDA

View Full Version : Old Dog. what to do?

Just Duke
03-19-2011, 09:36 AM
My Lhasa Apso is 16 years old, blind, deaf and a huge cyst on here side the size of a golf ball that the animal hospital can't figure out.
I think I should put her down. :violin: Am I in the right?

WILCO
03-19-2011, 09:44 AM
You're right Duke. It won't be easy, but you're right.

Finster101
03-19-2011, 09:46 AM
It sucks, but that is what I would have to do.

dragonrider
03-19-2011, 09:49 AM
Yes, ....

Jim
03-19-2011, 09:53 AM
Duke, only thing I have to add is stay with her until she drifts off to sleep.

Poygan
03-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Is she in pain? Because of her other medical issues, the quality of her life is certainly reduced. But I would not put her down until she is hurting. It is one of life's more lousy decisions we have to make. My sincere condolences.

Wots
03-19-2011, 01:26 PM
I would.
Do the old friend a favor.
I would pay the fee first.............................

twotoescharlie
03-19-2011, 01:34 PM
don't let her suffer. remember the good times.

TTC

Bulldogger
03-19-2011, 02:03 PM
Assuming you don't mind paying for another vet visit, I'd take her and discuss it with the pro like any other important technical decision. I started including that as the final "any other questions Sir?" topic as my Bulldog aged well beyond average life expectancy and started slowing own.

I gave the order to put him down two weeks ago at the Vet's strong recommendation. It was time, he was listless and clearly fading fast.

Hard thing to do for sure. Ditto for the recommendations to stay tableside while the dog goes, when the time comes. I was on a business trip, I feel terrible not being able to keep my promise to the old boy by being beside him. Bad as it is, I envy you for being there with her. Wish I could have been with mine.

Focus on the good times and don't feel ashamed calling on your family and friends for emotional support as you begin the mourning process, when the time comes.

Alex (Bulldogger)

cowboy
03-19-2011, 08:42 PM
Duke-
It's one of the toughest things I've been faced with, but sounds like it's come down to it. Never easy, nor something I've gotten used to.
Please be with your pet when it's time.
Sorry for what you face, but you won't regret later the fact that you were there.
cowboy

LAcaster
03-19-2011, 09:00 PM
If you think its time, then its time. We all know how we would like to be treated in the same instance. Sorry for your loss, sometimes I really think its sad we can't equally live as long.

CATS
03-19-2011, 10:53 PM
Duke,
It is time to do right by your pet/family member. Many of us have had to help our pets out when they no longer have any quality of life. Know that you are doing what is best for your pet.
Wait a few months and let a new puppy or kitten bring the joy back to you.
Good luck to you and yours.
CATS

Doc Highwall
03-19-2011, 11:36 PM
It is tough the wife and I just buried one of our cats today named Goofy he was 14+ years old. He would sit in the chair with me while I was on Cast Boolits.

Duckiller
03-21-2011, 02:56 PM
Duke does she hurt? You are going to hurt no matter when you do it. Our vet has sent a cat with cancer home with instructions to bring him back when he starts to hurt. Don't do anything to the cyst It will hurt her to remove it and won't add that much to her length of life if it is removed. You have decided that at some point she needs to be put down, do it when she starts to hurt and you feel her quality of life is deteriorating. Deepest sympathy.

jmsj
03-22-2011, 07:53 PM
Duke,
This is a decision only you can make.
I have been in your shoes many times w/ dogs and horses. It has always been emotional torture deciding when it was time to put down a long time companion.
Just my opinion but if she has stopped eating or she is in pain, then it is definetly time to let her go.
You have my deepest sympathy, this is never a easy decision to make for a dear friend.
jmsj

beanflip
03-23-2011, 11:40 AM
My deepest sympathy Duke.

Lost my little buddy "Peanut" 10/15/10

Doc Highwall
03-23-2011, 04:24 PM
Our Children In Fur Coats. This is Goofy that I just buried. This is how he liked to lay next to me when I would be sitting in my chair. Even though the wife and I still have three cats the house seems empty with him gone. I miss him wanting to lay next to me. Time will make it better.

Bret4207
03-24-2011, 07:49 AM
I've been through a lot of dogs and a few horses. I've put them down myself and via the vet. It's tough either way, but it sure beats having them suffer. I sort of wish we'd be as kind to our fellow humans, but that runs into other issues.

shooterg
03-24-2011, 09:00 AM
If it comes to it, we've always had a local vet that comes out so the animal can go to sleep at home. Hard any way you cut it.

3006guns
03-24-2011, 11:17 AM
Always a tough call but consider the dog's quality of life. Being listless and just waiting to die is no way to reward them for years of companionship.

It's rough.....I took my 14 year old Springer Spaniel, Russ, to the vet where he was diagnosed with a throat tumor. Could hardly breath. I gave my sad permission and sat there staring into his eyes, talking to him and petting him while the shot was administered. It was over in seconds.....but in those last few seconds I could feel him saying "Thanks Boss, you've been great". Got tears right now just thinking about it.

We still have numerous pictures of Russ in the house. A very loving and faithful friend, and we helped him when he needed it the most.

LUCKYDAWG13
03-24-2011, 01:14 PM
my hart goes out to you i know it herts its not just a dog its a frend i lost bolth of my frends
when we lost our house in a fire there was just a ring were the house was to great labs

JeffinNZ
03-24-2011, 05:25 PM
It's an awful decision but one that comes with the responsibility of a pet. I had to make that call with my cat Murphy who was a dead ringer for Doc's Goofy. Broke my heart but it was the right thing to do. If you love them enough to have them then you love them enough to let them go hard as it is.

parrott1969
03-26-2011, 02:40 PM
Do not take your animal to the vet to be put down! My friend is an oncologist and we were discussing this very issue. According to him the compound that most vets use causes paralisis and the animal can not breath. It will be mentally alert but unalble to breath or move. This is the cruelist way to die!!! He said a bullet into the cranial cavity is the most efficent and painless method. If you do not have the stomach for this then be sure that you vet uses an overdose of seditive so the animal does not suffer.
I was repulsed when I learned what they do and my thoughts went to the two that I have had to have put down. Makes my stomach turn.

I should have been more of a man and done it myself!!

pls1911
03-26-2011, 02:56 PM
I've had the pleasure of several dispositions over the years, none pleasant, all necessary.

After the good byes are done, a relaxed last visit in the warm sun is perfect, with the .22 placed point blank in the hollow at the base of the skull.
It's instant, near bloodless, and gets the heartache behind me quickly, so the good memories can carry me forward.
I know my old buddy went the I want to go, and am happy he's in his favorite place in the pasture...still laughing at me!
Perhaps I am a sentimental old fool, but I'll not have my huntin' partner hooked up to a hose, nor will I want him suffer.
Be happy for him... I just hope someone will do me the same loving service when my time comes.
Now excuse me... I've got to visit an old friend in the pasture.

David LaPell
03-26-2011, 07:24 PM
I hate having to put down a dog, but I can say that the worst part is not being with them when they do it. I believe that I should be in the room, the dog needs to be with someone it knows. It's tough, but it is best to remember the dog when it was healthy, then when it was ill. If the dog is in pain, then it needs to be done. I know too many people that led a dog suffer when it wasn't necessary.

Freightman
03-27-2011, 02:39 PM
Had to put my old Dachshund down and I did stay with her, a couple of weeks later I got a package from the Vet and a paw impression with her name and dates on it. It now hangs on my wall.

blaser.306
03-27-2011, 10:57 PM
Looked at this the other night and had to log out ! (Teared up) I had to put my buddy down last May long weekend here . I havent stopped thinking about him ! I was supposed to be his protector and he was licking my hand as he was put to sleep ! I felt like I had betrayed his trust .The procedure went without incident , but I still feel like I betrayed his trust ! I do not have anything but sympathy for anyone having to gothru this now . Just know that they will be going to a place with no hurt and discomfort and that they will be waiting for you wagging their tail and wondering where you have been for so long !!!!! This is what makes it a little easier for me . I have spent nearly a year fighting with this myself . What has to be has to be ! There is no good time for to loose a good friend . Just let it be on good terms and they will be waiting for you on the other side of the rainbow !!!!

jlchucker
03-28-2011, 10:20 AM
It is tough the wife and I just buried one of our cats today named Goofy he was 14+ years old. He would sit in the chair with me while I was on Cast Boolits.

Doc, Goofy is a spittin' image twin of a cat I had to put down at around the same age. Dickens was acquired at age 4 from a friend/co-worker who couldn't keep her. She had a polyp burst deep inside her ear, and it became gangrenous. I couldn't figure out what the odor was, and the doc couldn't save her. Pets are great best friends--but often they need to count on us humans to be their friend at the very time when they need us most and its hardest for the human. We never forget the best of times with our best friends.

ga41
03-28-2011, 05:46 PM
the toughest job I've ever done, it has been almost 10 years since I last held Baxter and I have one now I love even more who is 8, makes me really not look forward to that time. My heart aches for all who have to go thru it

Matthew 25
03-28-2011, 10:50 PM
Duke, I'm sorry for the hard time you are having, I know it's hard --I have 14y old blind heeler. I see this situation a few times a week, as I am a veterinarian seeing mostly small animals. I don't care if an animal is old and blind and deaf. There are more important indicators of quality of life. I put it as simply as I can for clients: 1) is she eating and drinking on her own? 2) is she peeing and pooping outside or in a manageable way? 3) Does she wag her tail when she sees/hears/feels you? If the answer is no for any of these questions, she is likely not experiencing a good quality of life. Of course there is more to every situation, if she has a known degenerative condition, is painful, is restless or anxious/pacing, etc, it will play into decision making.

Another important issue is grief vs guilt. If she needs to be put down you should feel sad, you can feel miserable, that is normal and expected. But don't confuse this with guilt. You may absolutely not feel guilty. It's a **** decision but it will likely need to be made.
Here is a link: http://csuvth.colostate.edu/diagnostic_and_support/argus/
These are real people with real hearts, I know them.

Parrott1969....good grief! Don't believe your friend the oncologist, good heavens. I am a veterinarian, I know exactly what I'm telling you. Over 30 years ago veterinarians used to use a concentrated Potassium solution that would cause cardiac arrest and other muscle rigidity without loss of sensation (absolutely unacceptable). This is currently illegal, not just inhumane, illegal. Search www.avma.org if you want to know more. Today we use a barbiturate that causes complete loss of consciousness and then slowing and stoppage of the heart (downer overdose). I actually first administer a small shot that causes very deep sedation before using the barbiturate (no stress, no pain).
I'm not against a 22 in the head either. This is actually an acceptable form of euthanasia as determined by the AVMA. Many sleeping pills first is a really good idea.

mroliver77
03-30-2011, 07:02 PM
I am laying here reading this and Zeus is cuddled up against my back with his head on my legs. I really feel for you Duke. If it is time then it is definitely the right thing.
The older I get the harder things like this become.
Here is a pic of my buddy and I. I was napping and he snuggled up with me. My kid snapped some pics.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/2074d93b5faae4fe.jpg

Just Duke
03-30-2011, 07:13 PM
Do not take your animal to the vet to be put down! My friend is an oncologist and we were discussing this very issue. According to him the compound that most vets use causes paralisis and the animal can not breath. It will be mentally alert but unalble to breath or move. This is the cruelist way to die!!! He said a bullet into the cranial cavity is the most efficent and painless method. If you do not have the stomach for this then be sure that you vet uses an overdose of seditive so the animal does not suffer.
I was repulsed when I learned what they do and my thoughts went to the two that I have had to have put down. Makes my stomach turn.

Copy that! and thanks.

Shiloh
04-01-2011, 11:56 AM
There is no easy way, but it needs to be done. A new friend eases the pain, and provides a recipient for the excess love you have to give.

You never forget your passed on friends, but the hurt diminishes a lot when you get new ones.

Shiloh

Matthew 25
04-01-2011, 05:09 PM
a bit of advice...don't trust an 85 year old doctor!

http://www.avma.org/issues/animal_welfare/euthanasia.pdf

Wrbjr
04-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Wow. Duke I am in the same situation. 16 year old Dalmation, partially deaf, mostly blind with a golf ball sized open tumor on his left side. Gets up with some help usually but not really stable. I know it's coming but I can' deal with it yet. It is so hard to look at him like this. Right now I don't think I ever want a pet again. It hurts too much to say goodbye.

Lloyd Smale
04-02-2011, 07:19 AM
hopefully its still years off for me but putting this dog down someday will probably be the hardest thing i ever do. I sure feel for you duke.

Doc Highwall
04-02-2011, 09:18 AM
My wife was heart broken when she found Goofy down in my wood shop on top of a pile of lumber and all I could do was remind her that he really showed his appreciation to us for the home that we provided for him and the other three cats. When he came up to you and you petted him he would lick you like a big dog and you would be wet from it . I would shake his tail and he would grind his head into me and then start licking and purring and this would go on for as long as an half hour. I then reminded her that the other three cat will die some day also and that we will too and all we can do is try to make the best of it. We keep the good memories of our loved ones alive by sharing them with others.

MT Gianni
04-03-2011, 11:58 PM

I had to put my dog down 18 months ago. I held her while the Vet injected her with a compound that knocked her out and as she was in my arms breathing slowly she then injected her with something that stopped her heart in less than 15 seconds. Her breathing slowed during that time but her heart stopped about the same time she breathed her last. [90 lb Lab]. There are other options but this is what my Vet used. She and her husband are both less than 3 years out of Vet. School.

Lloyd Smale
04-04-2011, 06:46 AM
sorry guys i consider myself a tough sob but i could no more shoot my dog in the head to put it down as i could my son. It would be about like him dieing in the hospital and me having a choise as to pull the plug or take him out in the woods and shoot him. I hold nothing against guys who can but not this guy! hes been to good of a freind to send him off by turning his head to mush!

Mustangpalmer1911
04-04-2011, 07:06 AM
What ever you feel in you're heart is best Duke.

We have 2 dogs and 2 cats they are all like kids. My beagle Willow especially is like my daughter where ever daddy goes she has to or she throws a fit they truley are family. I dont know what I am gona do when that day comes I am getting a little teary eyed reading everyones stories. Lloyed I hear ya it would have to be something VERY serrious for me to put my own pups down were they NEEDED it then and there. Any who intentional harmed my famlies pets would feel the wrath if they harmed my kids.

Duke you and youre family are in my prayers do what you think is best.

Me and Willow naping on the couch
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/mustangpalmer91/26493_409666199457_765939457_5260433_296255_n-1.jpg

Just Duke
04-04-2011, 12:37 PM
sorry guys i consider myself a tough sob but i could no more shoot my dog in the head to put it down as i could my son. It would be about like him dieing in the hospital and me having a choise as to pull the plug or take him out in the woods and shoot him. I hold nothing against guys who can but not this guy! hes been to good of a freind to send him off by turning his head to mush!

I here that!

Just Duke
04-04-2011, 09:53 PM
She is in a better place today........... <sad>
Thanks all for your support.

Lloyd Smale
04-05-2011, 07:01 AM
Dont know what to say duke. I know you must be hurting right now and nothing i could say would do a pinch of good.

Just Duke
04-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Dont know what to say duke. I know you must be hurting right now and nothing i could say would do a pinch of good.
I'm good Lloyd but thanks.

Finster101
04-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Sorry to hear it Duke.

Just Duke
04-05-2011, 10:40 AM
This is how I acquired Pepsi. I used to do Lhasa Apso and Shih Tzu rescue in Portland and Vancouver. Not many dogs there need rescuing both areas being very dog friendly. Animal control calls us up out of the blue and tells us the neighbors all filed criminal complaints that some people were using a small dog as a chew toy for there Rottweilers and the state of Oregon was going to file criminal charges against the people per my investigation or heavy fines if I placed Pepsi in our home. Looked like the the couple were looking at a minimum of 2 years and they had children. He was the owner of a huge furniture company.
Usually I bring the rescue dogs home keep for 3 to 4 months teach them some table manners and most don't know how to play. So I teach them how to play and of course they get a nice grooming.
I put and add in the paper with a hefty price to ward off the looky loo's and get 10 to 15 couples apply.
Couples only with these breed as they need lots of companionship. Who I select to get the dog is a older retired stay at home couple and most times they don't have alot of money so they get them for 1/4 my recovery fee. But Pepsi was unique so I kept her.
These two breeds of dogs don't fair to well around noisy energetic children especially the Lhasa. The Lhasa's are a reserved dog indigenous to the monasteries of Tibet for the last 1000 years and used as sentry dogs for their highly acute hearing to set of the bigger dogs barking. Also the Monks would let their fine hair grow long and shave them in the summer and make fine items from the silky soft fur. Both breeds do like to play but on their terms like throwing a jack ball or stealing a sock that was cast off and act just like cats. The Lhasa is considered a highly prize item in Tibet and never sold but given as a fine valuable gift.
The Lhasa are biters!!! For sure! And very protective especially of females.
I tell friends that stop by if she took Pepsi to the store with them and someone reached in their car, the "Bad Guy" would guaranteed receive several nasty painful bites before he new what hit him.
Pepsi lived 17 1/2 years. Good diet and she used to run with me. Diet and exercise.
I still have the Shih Tzu though........

Doc Highwall
04-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Thanks for letting us know about rescuing dogs Duke it make me feel good. I had a surprise yesterday, last fall a black cat showed up at my house and my four cats would be at the window whenever he came around and the wife and I would feed him. After the first snow storm he disappeared and we were wondering if he was OK and yesterday he showed up so he got a nice plate of food. I am checking to see when he comes back today so I can feed him again. The three cats that we have left are acting different since Goofy died as he was the big guy around here.