PDA

View Full Version : no lube star

Irascible
03-18-2011, 06:10 PM
I just started working in ernest with a 21 1/2" Contender barrel in 32 H&R. I'm shooting a Lyman 311291, noze first sized at .310, which has been shortened by it's gas check (now 155gr from #2 alloy). Given that this barrel has no throat it is showing surprisingly good accuracy. I'm just at the start of the load testing and have been through AA#2 and #5. I'm trying to keep the velocity at the top of subsonic. I know that changes, but I'm looking for 1080 fps max.
The GAR 50/50 lube seems to work OK, as there is hardly any leading. Just the smallest of flakes on the Ed's Red soaked patches after 20 rounds. But, there is NO lube star which suggests inadequit lube to me. I was wondering if I should switch to some LBT Blue that I have? An awful lot of guys are using this bullet, so I'm guessing the bullet holds enough lube.
Any comments/suggestions?

2 dogs
03-18-2011, 06:49 PM
Most 32 H&R bullets are shot thru handgun length barrel I would guess. Still, your lack of a lube star might be solved by a different lube.

If it were mine, I would be sure the barrel itself didnt have any restriction. I would also firelap it a just a bit to knock off any roughness that might be present.

Some thoughts on barrel issues here.... http://gunblast.com/FerminGarza-Firelapping.htm

btroj
03-18-2011, 07:02 PM
If accuracy is good and holds up for however long a string you need then who cares about a lube star?
A lube star does not tell you a load is accurate. It says you have lube on the end of the barrel. It can be a sign that you are running out of lube. But it does not mean much. Accuracy on the ore hand meads everything. If the load had major lube issues accuracy would not exist, or not for many rounds.
Another example of worrying little details while ignoring the big picture. I know this sounds gruff but it is the truth. Don't sweat the petty things, the gun has told you all you need to know.

Brad

excess650
03-18-2011, 08:22 PM
If you're not getting leading towards the muzzle, then you (apparently) have more than enough lube for the velocity at which you're shooting. Most any lube will work at the velocity level you're seeking. While I do shoot LBT Blue in higher pressure, higher velocity loads, it definitely isn't necessary for moderate loads, so I've been using my own homebrew for sub 2000fps stuff.

The 311291 may carry enough lube in one groove for what you're doing. Likewise, liquid alox or the 45-45-10 tumble lube may be a good choice.