PDA

View Full Version : Pewter searching

Longwood
03-17-2011, 01:49 PM
I bought a tray that had Pewter written on the bottom. I found another one that has silver plate over copper but has no marks on it so I am hoping it is also pewter.
My question is. How do you guys that search for it, identify it?
Thanks

Shiloh
03-17-2011, 01:57 PM
It is usually stamed and labeled.

Used to be easier to find at second hand stores, garage sales and church slaes.
WIth the word out that it has scrap value, it seems to have dried up. Can still be found at garage sles though. The problem is you have to like garage saleing.

Rotometals at the top of the page has it. Find folks to go in and divvy up the shipping.

Shiloh

Shiloh

stubshaft
03-17-2011, 04:04 PM
I usually find it at thrift stores. It usually has british proof on it.

Taylor
03-18-2011, 07:53 AM
....thrift stores and flea markets,and are usually stamped with a "mark",and are labeled/stamped/proof pewter.Normally German or English.As far as I know,pewter does not come from pakistan or china.Some people in flea market's think that because it is metal,it is pewter,and will write on it as such.Pewter will bend easily.However----I melted my pewter collection yesterday.One plate,labeled,endorsed,stamped,all indicated it was pewter.It would not melt at the same temp as the other stuff.Removed and tossed.So,hopefully I have not contaminated my tin supply.

LeeRoy
03-18-2011, 08:05 AM
If you don't mind, a newbe question.

What is pewter used for ?

LeeRoy

imashooter2
03-18-2011, 08:15 AM
Pewter is used as a (hopefully) inexpensive source for tin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pewter

1Shirt
03-23-2011, 12:09 PM
Even if it is marked pewter, unless it is marked English or German, I don't buy. I look for mugs, salt and pepper shakers, small pitchers, and bowls. I like to find them bent a bit, as the price is minimal. Recently picked up a bown that was bent, that was close to 2 lbs. for 1.25.
1Shirt!:coffee:

*Paladin*
03-23-2011, 09:37 PM
Even if it is marked pewter, unless it is marked English or German, I don't buy. I look for mugs, salt and pepper shakers, small pitchers, and bowls. I like to find them bent a bit, as the price is minimal. Recently picked up a bown that was bent, that was close to 2 lbs. for 1.25.
1Shirt!:coffee:

I found some pewter marked "Tinn Norge" (Tin, Norway). It was good stuff. I also melted down some pewter from Japan once as well, and it was good. So there is some other stuff out there, but you are right, the safe bet is English or German.

arjacobson
03-23-2011, 09:55 PM
I got some plates from germany with zinn markings. Very nice stuff. When pewter hunting just watch out for weighted pewter candle holders.. They are pewter but have a very thin skin with plaster looking stuff inside.... VERY nasty if you try to melt the pewter off it... Not really worth the trouble unless it is cheap..BTW all my pewter I find gets melted down pc by pc in a large cast iron ladle before I do any real smelting/cleanup.. I can pretty much tell in a few seconds if I have good pewter or some questionable alloy. This way if I DID get something goofy it will not mess any of the good tin up..

45-70 Chevroner
03-24-2011, 12:52 AM
Pewter figurines are a good source, though they can be high priced at times. I bought some at a park and swap two different times, they ended up costing about $2.00 a pound. That was a lot cheeper than buying 60-40 solder at the welding shop.

Longwood
03-24-2011, 02:53 AM
While looking for tin and pewter, I found a Wok ladle that was a dollar. I took it to the vise and banged and twisted it till I had a nice spout on one side then drilled through the steel tube handle and the tapered wood piece and put a roll pin in the hole so I will not come apart. I already used it and it works great. Holds way more lead than my cast ladle.