PDA

View Full Version : Mountain man skills

stubshaft
03-16-2011, 10:26 PM
In looking over the thread about casting over an open fire it brought to mind how very much we take for granted.

Like actually starting the fire using primitive means like flint and steel, fire piston, bow drill or other primitive method.

I have used flint and steel and let me tell you it gave me a sense of accomplishment to have done so. No, it isn't hard to do, but the actual act of making a fire gave me a deep sense of satisfaction (I am not a latent arsonist either).

Just one of those things I think of when it is too windy and rainy to cast.

singleshot
03-16-2011, 11:32 PM
I will input that in Biblical times, they carried a fire pot with embers so they didn't have to start a fire from scratch.

That being said, I taught military survival training and attempted and saw several students attempt to start a fire with bow and stick...none successfull.

We do take alot for granted...

onondaga
03-16-2011, 11:56 PM
This is an opportunity for me to bragg! Thanks! I am a Flint Knapper , so I always have a lot of flint around. I enjoy starting fires with Flint, Firebow, I even made my own Fire Piston that works fine. I have the biggest laugh from an unusual fire starting method:

I can take a rock and chop a piece of nice clear ice out of a nearby creek and shape the ice into a lens with the warmth of my bare hands. I use it like a magnifying glass to start tinder with the light of the sun concentrated by the ice lens on tinder. I don't know if there is a name for it, but it is fun and I always get a good laugh.

Gary

turbo1889
03-16-2011, 11:59 PM
I'm very good at making a fire with the bow stick and it is my preferred method. I've done flint and steel but that is very hard for me to successfully pull off since I can't seem to be able to blow just right to get the sparks to catch without blowing out the fire and if you don't blow they just smolder out instead of catch.

I've also done the most primitive I know of namely the stick groove rub method (very labor intensive involving running the tip of a stick back and forth rapidly in a groove in a larger stick and looks like a half breed between someone playing the violin and someone stabbing something to death and will make observers just about fall over laughing at you. That is until you light the fire then they stop laughing). I have never heard of the fire piston method. What is that?

BulletFactory
03-17-2011, 12:11 AM
handle that much of the ice, and youll need a fire lol

waksupi
03-17-2011, 12:11 AM
I used to do fire making demonstrations, among other things over the years. At one time, I had 21 ways of making fire. I still remember some of them! I like using fool's gold in my flint and steel kit, just to be snooty!

Beagler
03-17-2011, 12:24 AM
You fellas might like this magazine have been subscribing to it for some time now http://www.backwoodsmanmag.com/

nanuk
03-17-2011, 01:30 AM
You fellas might like this magazine have been subscribing to it for some time now http://www.backwoodsmanmag.com/

I've been a buyer of BWM for several years now...

it is by far the most entertaining!

not much advertising like other (Un-named) magazines

Hang Fire
03-17-2011, 01:31 AM
I have been into such for a while, using flint and steel for fire starting is so easy, even a caveman could do it. I have had cub scouts making smoke in just a couple of tries, also had the little rats in blue set a hillside grass fire after they learned how. Char or birch bear scat (being nuanced) fungus is the best natural tinder, fine steel wool for the non-trad types.

One can make a fire piston from 1/2" schedule 40 cpvc pipe and fittings in about five minutes using a wood dowel.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/TANSTAAFL-2/P1010001-1.jpg

Some old buckskinning and rondy pics: http://hstrial-rchambers.homestead.com/untitled1.html

Rangefinder
03-17-2011, 02:28 AM
I'm pretty big on doing things the old fashioned way. My son got his big lesson in this a few years ago covering flint and steel. He hasn't put together a working bow-drill yet, but got a little puff or smoke with a fire plow last time we were out--a little more elbow grease would have has enough to coax in no time.

nanuk
03-17-2011, 02:29 AM
a few years ago, my buddy and I were talking selfbows while moose hunting.

I said "I wonder if I could make a survival/selfbow with just my cleaver?" (I carry one for camp craft)

well, we cut down a birch sapling about 2" at the base, and after about 5 wobblepops I had it shooting with a borrowed string and my arrows. Although green, it shot hard enough that I could have easily killed a deer with it, certainly rabbit and other small game.

I still have it. it took no set after we shot it about 40 times.

it now draws well over 100lbs. one of these days I'm gonna finish it off to 45lb and take some game

reloader28
03-17-2011, 09:06 AM
I love the flint/steel method. Very cheap and easy to use. Seems to easily be the best, especially when combined with a vaseline/cottonball.

I fact its so easy and fun that its far and away our preferd method when we're out and about.

10 ga
03-17-2011, 09:11 AM
I'm always amazed at how useful the stuff I learned, as a Boy Scout, really is. Done the flint and steel plenty of times and have done fire with a bow but that is more like work so not so much. I carry a firemaking kit in my truck all the time and in my "*** bag" when hunting. Of course it's just a back up to the matches in the waterproof container, 3.5" 12 gauge sliped into a 3.5" 10 ga. Handy and cheap waterproof containers those shells make. 10 ga

SmuvBoGa
03-17-2011, 09:22 AM
Gents,

I know flint & steel, kitchen matches, drier fluff BUT "fire piston" - ? I can infer but pls spell it out. How to make my own toy & where to put the batteries (joke). How to use it too.

Often Confused [smilie=l:

JohnMc

ghh3rd
03-17-2011, 10:06 AM
When I was a Boy Scout 40+ years ago, our Assistant Scoutmaster came to a meeting with a bow drill and promptly demonstrated how to make a fire. When my son became a scout, I remembered how impressed I was by the display years ago and we purchased a bow drill kit in the scout shop. We got smoke from it several times, but never got it quite hot enough to get an ember.

I carry a magnesium/flint bar with me hunting/camping, and have a keychain flint striker with me always. If lost, I think that besides water, fire would be my next priority, if only for the comfort.

Randy

ps I'd like to know more about fire pistons too.

timkelley
03-17-2011, 10:58 AM
I have made a fire with flint and steel in the far past, now I need a weed burner.:bigsmyl2:

waksupi
03-17-2011, 11:13 AM
Lots of fire piston videos on Youtube. I made mine with an osage orange cylinder, and an ebony piston. It looks a lot like a tube of BB's.

They are essentially a primitive diesel engine.

LeeRoy
03-17-2011, 12:11 PM
I have started fire with flint & steel and a ferro rod & stricker.

If a person would like to learn, there is a very good site called Bushcraftingusa. It is a
camping and hiking site.

LeeRoy

Shiloh
03-17-2011, 12:57 PM
I will input that in Biblical times, they carried a fire pot with embers so they didn't have to start a fire from scratch.

That being said, I taught military survival training and attempted and saw several students attempt to start a fire with bow and stick...none successfull.

We do take alot for granted...

Used a magnesium fire starter with the flint rod on the side. Many Times. Even used it once many years ago making a small fire in a bar ashtray so this girl I was talking to could light a cigarette.

The ONLY time I saw a bow and drill used successfully was at a survival seminar in Longmont Colorado. This was using a pre-made drill and block. The instructor, Papa Bear Whitmore, an expert in survival, said it would be tough to do in a survival situation. Especially with just a knife to make components. He recommended waxed matches or a magnesium fire stick. Calcium Carbide works good too, but you need a flame source.

http://www.wisesurvival.com/InMemoriam.shtml

Shiloh

waksupi
03-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Using a fire bow isn't that hard once you learn the technique. My fastest time for a flame was 21 seconds, the guy who taught me could do it in 15. You do need the proper hearth and spindle. I prefer cedar, or cottonwood, with a yucca spindle.

Hang Fire
03-17-2011, 04:15 PM
Gents,

I know flint & steel, kitchen matches, drier fluff BUT "fire piston" - ? I can infer but pls spell it out. How to make my own toy & where to put the batteries (joke). How to use it too.

Often Confused [smilie=l:

JohnMc

A fire piston is basically a miniature compressor working on the diesel (first diesels used finely powdered coal for fuel) principle. When air is compressed at high pressure, it becomes very hot, (adiabatic condition) insert fuel into the mix, you get ignition. The bore of a fire piston acts as the compression chamber, the piston has a hollow depression on the end into which a piece of char cloth or tinder fungus is inserted. When the piston (piston ring/s near the end for sealant can be tightly wound waxed string in a groove, or, a rubber o-ring) is slammed down the bore, the resulting hot air ignites the fuel, AKA tinder (do not try this with gasoline, oil, BP & etc, it is then known as an explosion) withdraw the piston rapidly and you have a glowing spark for fire starting.

Fire piston priciple: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=principle+of+a+fire+piston&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Making a fire piston: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=making+a+fire+piston&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=

Making char cloth: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Making+char+cloth&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Birch tinder fungus: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=birch+tinder+fungus&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=

turbo1889
03-17-2011, 04:36 PM
The method I was taught with the fire-bow that makes it so easy for me is the "key-hole" principle. You make just a little notch on the side of the socket you run the rod in with the bow and that is where you pack in your tinder. Makes it so much easier rather then making a nest around just a regular round socket with no key-hole off to the side.

onondaga
03-17-2011, 04:46 PM
A friend of mine manufactures and sells fire pistons that I believe are the best made most handsome and functional fire pistons in the world. There are videos at his site also and you can order direct:

http://www.wildersol.com/

He has many models and accessories. Even his least expensive fire piston is an excellent tool.

Gary

waksupi
03-17-2011, 08:40 PM
The method I was taught with the fire-bow that makes it so easy for me is the "key-hole" principle. You make just a little notch on the side of the socket you run the rod in with the bow and that is where you pack in your tinder. Makes it so much easier rather then making a nest around just a regular round socket with no key-hole off to the side.

Definitely need the keyhole, that is the main ingredient.

nanuk
03-17-2011, 11:26 PM
I had a firepiston made from cocobolo. Beautiful.

was out hunting and showed this oldtimer it, and he was so amazed, I just had to give it to him.
he was gonna show his buddies at the next meeting of "pest control" guys. he was in our area hunting wolves at the time. We invited him over on the first night and got him lickered... he came over every night after that and we had a blast!

(my wife was not impressed as she had gotten it for me for my birthday)

Bret4207
03-18-2011, 06:33 AM
These days I seem to spend more time trying to keep things from catching fire than trying to start one.

msinc
03-19-2011, 02:45 AM
It is very useful to know how to properly build and then start a fire. Most guys cant do it with matches and that is no exaggeration. But I believe it is equally important to be able to do it in the rain or snow. I usually go out with a partner or two and we practice in different areas during bad weather, we learn something every time we go. I had never heard of a fire piston until one of the guys I trek with showed up with one a few years ago...neat little tool. I had always read that you cant really make a fire with a lens, all it will do is char a piece of wood. One of the other guys showed up with a "Fresnel" lens. It's a cheap little flat plastic lens you can carry in your wallet and when we tried it it worked fine.
I always say that the ability to build a fire is the single most important skill someone lost in the wilds can ever have...personally I will never be lost. If I ever dont show up for a few days just look for the one lone hillbilly standing next to the 40,000 acre forest fire...that will be me, found.

Rangefinder
03-19-2011, 05:01 PM
I DO keep one of those little flat lenses in my kit--they're pretty handy. BUT, they are a secondary fire source only. The trouble is that they're no good at all when you need a fire the worst. When it's raining (or really cloudy even) they don't work. When it's dark--obviously--they won't work. But they are a great way to get things lit quick when the sun is out.

KCSO
03-19-2011, 11:50 PM
Has anyone else ever started a fire with a piece of ICE?

Rangefinder
03-20-2011, 01:28 AM

Can't say that I have--but it could be worked into a really good lens very easily.

waksupi
03-20-2011, 02:45 AM

I did it once just to try it out. Hated doing it, I don't like cold fingers. And you have to be careful not to drip on your tinder.

blasternank
03-20-2011, 02:15 PM
I've done the flint a lot but have always wanted to learn the bow method and the others listed. Thanks for the link to the magazine. I think I will look into getting it.

Cadillo
03-20-2011, 05:11 PM
.......I can take a rock and chop a piece of nice clear ice out of a nearby creek and shape the ice into a lens with the warmth of my bare hands. I use it like a magnifying glass to start tinder with the light of the sun concentrated by the ice lens on tinder. I don't know if there is a name for it, but it is fun and I always get a good laugh.

Gary

I saw them do that very thing on the Mythbusters Program.

Amazing!

MT Gianni
03-20-2011, 05:33 PM
Even if you don't smoke one a pipe is handy to carry with you. It has a tinder bowl and a built in air director in the stem. I also like to have a few soda straws and coffee stirrers. You can get a McDonalds straw, cut it in thirds and fill the insides with a vaselined cotton ball. Seal the ends with heat and pliers, they will burn hot and long. The coffee stirrers are great for putting air in a small place.

Von Gruff
03-20-2011, 06:31 PM
I stand in awe of some of the methods described here. It was always understood that a piece of candle and a box of way matches was the standby firekit here in NZ but to use a piece of ice has to stand as the top ability so far. Some of the wet wood encountered here at times in areas with in excess of 78inches annual rainfall may chalenge many of the methods though.

Von Gruff.

XWrench3
03-21-2011, 07:07 AM
i have done the flint - steel - magnesium shavings job before. the trick is defintly having enough, good dry tinder. of course, a cup of gasoline and a quart of oil always goes a long way towards sucess! but i wanted to make sure i could do this in case i actually did get stranded in the woods sometime. so i did do it the natural way. when i am at home, i get out the petroleum fire starters. much easier! and yes, all of us have become way to complacent for our own good. each year, i am teaching a new skill to my son. last year, it was how to cut wood, and stack it to get a fire going. this year, i think it is going to be setting primitive traps, to get food in the wild.

nanuk
03-21-2011, 08:36 PM
i have done the flint - steel - magnesium shavings job before. the trick is defintly having enough, good dry tinder. of course, a cup of gasoline and a quart of oil always goes a long way towards sucess! but i wanted to make sure i could do this in case i actually did get stranded in the woods sometime. so i did do it the natural way. when i am at home, i get out the petroleum fire starters. much easier! and yes, all of us have become way to complacent for our own good. each year, i am teaching a new skill to my son. last year, it was how to cut wood, and stack it to get a fire going. this year, i think it is going to be setting primitive traps, to get food in the wild.

+2

I want to learn how to snare/trap rabbits, grouse and squirrels.

DIRT Farmer
03-21-2011, 08:47 PM
A lot of the lost in the woods type of article I have read has the premis that you can carry a 200 pound back pack. The best ariticles I have read on real life is the trapping and field craft in the normal article in Fur Fish and Game. Yes they have a lot of the me and Joe articles, but me and Gary have spent a lot of time in the field and on the water. Not long ago they had an article on the leaning pole small game snare system. It works good, just don't get to carried away, or you will spend a lot of time skinning, and putting up meat.

Charlie Sometimes
03-21-2011, 11:20 PM
I picked up the latest issue of Backwoods Magazine today while I was out, to see what was in it. It could prove to be interesting and fun reading. I like the primitive and self bow articles best, I think.

It is ridiculous all the modern stuff that some of the "survialists" recommend you carry. What happens when you run out, or worse yet, "civilization" goes away? (We should be so lucky.) Has anyone noticed the size of packs and the amount of gear that our troops carry into combat daily? Developed from the same school of thought, I think. :roll:

I'm not so practiced at flint and steel, but I know a fella that can use his flint and steel to start a fire about as fast as most people can with a match. I need to practice up, as it has been a while since I made fire. :oops:

I would add that not only is making a fire one of the most necessary survival skills, building a shelter is close number 2, right next to having clean drinking water and food. Making clothing would be the next skill to learn. Got those, and you can live the good life! :grin: Goes without saying that you should already have your weapons building and using skills devloped. :smile:

Rangefinder
03-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Charlie>> I know what you mean. It seems a lot of "Survivalists" would recommend a 100-pound pack for the weekend... It's one of the things that prompted me to write the survival manual that I did. The basic kit I outline fits a fanny-pack. With that and the clothes I'm wearing, I could get by rather comfortably for quite some time. Not even worth mentioning how long I could go and how comfortable I'd be with my full BOB that weighs a feather-light 15 pounds....Fire is second in my list--right behind first-aid skills. I call it the "Critical Four", in order of importance and application:

1) First-aid---"Nothing broke, bleeding, etc? Great, move on..."
2) Fire building---"Got warmth? Got Light? Great, move on..."
3) Shelter building---"Got a way to get out of the weather, block wind, stay dry? Great, move on..."
4) Water Acquirement---"Not going to dehydrate? Great, now lets do the things to get comfy and enjoy this..."

The series I'm working on is more geared toward the long-term, civilization fall, etc--with the more in-depth skills that everyone knew 150 years ago and currently most don't even know existed without googling.

I want to learn how to snare/trap rabbits, grouse and squirrels.

One of my favorite "primitive" methods for hunting is a sling. Not a wrist-rocket, but the tried-and-true sling. They're fun to learn, easy to use, you'll never run out of ammo, and frighteningly deadly on small game.

Being able to actively hunt is very important in survival. Trapping and snaring are useful, no doubt. But animals are smarter than most give them credit for. With trapping, you rely on the animal to find their demise. Bate helps, knowing common paths and hides helps, but one thing works against us badly---scent. Fiddling with a trap leaves behind a LOT of human/foreign scent that often as not will prevent the animal from getting caught. There are ways to mask scent to one degree or another, but after disturbing an area with a trap it can take quite some time for the animals to resume normal activity. Primitive hunting lets you eat while your traps build up your food reserve over a longer period of time.

nanuk
03-23-2011, 10:45 PM
one skill I've learned is how to walk up on a grouse to get close enough to wack 'em with a long stick.

I can walk up on a gopher also.
the guys at work didn't believe me until one day I showed them. another guy said he just had to try, and got within 3ft of a gopher, then waited, the gopher popped back up and stood their within kicking range. My boss ran to get a camera cause it was a funny scene both of them standing their looking NE.

I even taught my buddies daughter how.

it works on young deer also, but I'm not sure I'd be able to get close enough to wack 'em with a stick. but surely close enough to kill 'em with primitive bownarra'

Charlie Sometimes
03-25-2011, 06:27 PM
They are too nervous down here to do that. Never heard of, or seen anyone do it around here. Maybe they are too cold to move fast enough to get away up there? :kidding:

While out hunting, I've had deer walk up to me and lay down within 20 feet of me and go to sleep before, though. (I still hunt- very still hunt, I guess. :grin: Never use a tree stand.) They don't keep their eyes closed very long, I noticed. I try to move while they sleep, and see if I can get closer, or reposition myself and surprise them. They sure get silly when they open their eyes and realize that someone has "rearanged their living room furniture" while they slept! :lol:

BD
03-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Ruffed Grouse and Blue Grouse, "Fool Hens" are two entirely different situations. Anyone worth his salt can kill a Blue Grouse with a rock. If you're good and patient, snatching them with your bare hands isn't out of the question. I've never been around gophers, but I've killed a couple of gray squirrels, and rabbits, with rocks.
BD

nanuk
03-25-2011, 10:02 PM
up here the grouse we can walk up on are "Spruce Grouse"

and gophers are the "Richardson Ground Squirrel" little light brown things that destroy pasture. they are like a mini Prairie Dog in looks

the Metis say they are very good eating.... but small like our gray squirrels. it would take a few to feed a family

Charlie Sometimes
03-26-2011, 10:14 PM
:holysheep

Whomp 'em up with some cat head biscuits and red eye gravy.......... :bigsmyl2:

Charlie Sometimes
04-23-2011, 08:31 AM
Ruffed Grouse and Blue Grouse, "Fool Hens" are two entirely different situations. Anyone worth his salt can kill a Blue Grouse with a rock. If you're good and patient, snatching them with your bare hands isn't out of the question.

If the Blue Grouse are that easily killed, why aren't they extinct? Like the Dodo bird became when they discovered Austrailia in the 1600's.

Rabbits around here won't sit still for you to get that close either.

waksupi
04-23-2011, 11:57 AM
If the Blue Grouse are that easily killed, why aren't they extinct? Like the Dodo bird became when they discovered Austrailia in the 1600's.

Rabbits around here won't sit still for you to get that close either.

In Montana, there is a law on the books that grouse can not be taken with a thrown stone or stick. They are that dumb.

Dad used to catch rabbits and pheasants by hand when out checking the livestock. He was good.

nanuk
04-23-2011, 09:20 PM
it is fun to do, and sharpens your skills in stalking.

I want to try my stalking technique on a young deer with one of my homemade bows/arrows.

I think that would be an appropriate way to blood them.

nanuk
04-23-2011, 09:25 PM
Mountain Man skills

I need to learn how to snare. I"ve got a friend who is treaty indian. he was gonna hook me up with an Elder who was willing to show me some tricks, but the old fellow went to his better place before we could meet.

I have made some primitive twine that I think would be strong enough to snare a rabbit, IF I could set it to lift the rabbit off the ground so it strangles. it may not be strong enough if left on the ground.

KCSO
04-23-2011, 09:35 PM
As to fire starting I have started a fire with a piece of ICE on a bet. I carry flint and steel all the time and have used bow drill and friction starters. One of my fondest memories was putting my char cloth back in the tin on my belt and not having it all the way out,,, what's that smell, is it hot in here?

waksupi
04-24-2011, 01:53 AM
Mountain Man skills

I need to learn how to snare. I"ve got a friend who is treaty indian. he was gonna hook me up with an Elder who was willing to show me some tricks, but the old fellow went to his better place before we could meet.

I have made some primitive twine that I think would be strong enough to snare a rabbit, IF I could set it to lift the rabbit off the ground so it strangles. it may not be strong enough if left on the ground.

There are some good snaring and other primitive arts videos on Youtube.

Charlie Sometimes
04-24-2011, 11:01 AM
One of my fondest memories was putting my char cloth back in the tin on my belt and not having it all the way out,,, what's that smell, is it hot in here?

Now, I thought you were supposed to make your char cloth into small pieces so they could be expended in the fire once it started.

Never have I seen anyone put their char cloth BACK into the tin once it was used to start a fire. :veryconfu Maybe THAT is why? :lol:

You CAN take being frugal or self-sufficient to excessive lengths, you know. :kidding:
That may also be how they initially developed pocket hand warmers. Good thing there were no cartridge rifles, or batteries back then. Those have also been known to be non-compatible pocket items. :bigsmyl2:

waksupi
04-24-2011, 11:27 AM
Now, I thought you were supposed to make your char cloth into small pieces so they could be expended in the fire once it started.

Never have I seen anyone put their char cloth BACK into the tin once it was used to start a fire. :veryconfu Maybe THAT is why? :lol:

You CAN take being frugal or self-sufficient to excessive lengths, you know. :kidding:
That may also be how they initially developed pocket hand warmers. Good thing there were no cartridge rifles, or batteries back then. Those have also been known to be non-compatible pocket items. :bigsmyl2:

I'm guilty of recycling char cloth too, and have had the same experience. Waste not, want not. A really cheap person can hang around a flint and steel fire starting competition, and collect a lot of ready to use char that has had a brief ignition, and was immediately extinguished.

Charlie Sometimes
04-24-2011, 11:32 AM
You need to cut them into a size that you know you will not need any more than necessary to start a fire, so niether you nor anyone else will have leftovers. Maybe just a thread or two would suffice? :lol:

Canuck Bob
04-25-2011, 09:35 PM
Does a can of lighter fluid and waxed kitchen matches count!

Mk42gunner
04-26-2011, 06:00 AM
I missed this thread the first time around, so here are a couple of fire starting methods that haven't been mentioned yet.

1. Bamboo and a bolo. I saw this when I was going through base indoc in the Philippines. take a bolo (heavy bladed machete) and chop down a stalk of bamboo, the one they used was about three inches in diameter. cut off on joint and split it. Cut a small vee notch in one side. Scrape the outside of the other piece, basically get about half a cup of the fuzzy outer growth. Put it inside, next to the notch. rub the notch on the edge of the other piece until it smolders. It didn't take very long to make a fire.

2. Steel wool and a battery. Not primitive, but it works. This works with one of the square six volt lantern batteries, I see no reason it wouldn't work with a twelve volt car battery. Take a small amount of steel wool (we used 000) and short the terminals of the battery. Very shortly you will have glowing steel wool that can be used to start your tinder on fire (or light your cigarette). If the steel wool doesn't start glowing within a few seconds, you are using too much, rip it in half and try again.

Robert

nanuk
04-26-2011, 07:07 AM
2. Steel wool and a battery. Not primitive, but it works.
Robert

even a D size single battery will work for this....

9 volt works best though for control

Charlie Sometimes
04-26-2011, 07:36 PM
Yea, I don't know many primitive mountain men that carry batteries and jumper cables. :lol:
I knew about that one, but was not "primitive" enough to mention.
Maybe if you could use a potato or fruit, and made wire from ore, to create a natural battery like the Egyptians did to primitively plate gold, then THAT would qualify. :grin:

I think most "mountain men" carry cell phones now, don't they? There is a possibility. :rolleyes:

BABore
04-27-2011, 02:17 PM
A couple Bic lighters and a ziplock baggie of Frito's. The Frito's make for a good snack and are a great fire starter. Light one up and see.

10x
04-28-2011, 12:06 AM
I participate in a survival skills course as an instructor.
part of the course is basic fire starting. Some methods are much better than others. The best is to carry an alcohol base hand sanitizer - that stuff will act as a very nice fire starter in a pinch.
Spray insect repellent also works as a fire starting aid.
Lip balm with vaseline base rubbed on your tinder will aid ignition.

Years ago one of my survival buddies had a fire starting challenge at his 40th birth day party. He gave each of us a bundle of kindling, wood, and billy can (Can with a bail on it) to boil water and make tea. The first guy with boiling water won. He also stated that you could use anything in your pockets. I just happened to have a spray can of "off" insect repellant that I used as a fire starter once the kindling and fuel were set. Other guys were dinking around with pocket lint, kleenex, and flammables from their pockets. The insect repellant gave instant fire and it was less than 4 minutes to a boiling can of water.

There are less reliable fire starter methods - pulling a bullet and shooting the primer into your tinder mixed with the bullet powder may start a fire, we pulled bullets and tried various fuels. Not even a lighter fluid soak would light from a primer.
A lense requires strong sunlight - summertime sun at 57 degrees north can start a fire during 3 hour window around noon but after that it is a failure.
If you carry the makings for a bow to start a fire, dry tinder, and a spindle and board, yup you can start a fire. If you make up a bow from local materials - damp wood, no hardwood, etc, all you will get is smoke. A bit of lighter fluid can save the day - sometimes and if you have it.

A flint and steel work well if you have dry tinder. The flint and steel works even better if you rub the tinder with lip balm, (vaseline) and shave some magnesium on to it. The lip balm is sticky and holds the magnesium shavings.

The best fire starter is a sealed (dry) package of strike anywhere matches -the big ones, not the 3/4 size. THere is also a special waterproof survival match that once lit will not go out for at least four or five seconds. Matches that require a special surface to strike do not seem to want to work that well after a four or five years in the survival kit. Paper matches (matchbooks) seem to wick and absorb moisture real quickly as well.
Making your own wax dipped waterproof matches will give you a good match for a few months but then the wax seems to work up to the strike anywhere tip and the damned things will not light after several months in the pack or a couple of hot days.

I carry strike anywhere matches in a sealed match tube, and four small blocks of fire starter. I also carry a "swedish Steel" in my pack. It will light the fire starter (each pack of fire starter is wrapped in cellophane and sparks on the cellophane will light it rapidly.

I have been known to drain a half cup of gas from a quad or snowmobile for that extra bit of insurance to get a fire going when it was minus 30 or more. You only get a few chances working with your bare hands to get a fire going before you loose the felling in your fingers. Your fingers go numb before you get the fire going and unless you have someone else there or have a means to warm up your fingers you are not going to make fire and that may result you not surviving at all.
Fire making is the most important skill we teach - the fire provides warmth, it provides something to do - (gather fuel) - it can melt snow for water, it can be used to signal.
BTW: we teach how to build a signal fire that can shoot a column of smoke up to 2-300 yard plus above the surface of the trees in less than 1.5 minutes from the signal fire being lit.
I have a personal method of "last ditch" signal fires that I do not teach or demonstrate - it involves a large green spruce tree with a great deal very dry fuel stacked up around the base. This one takes about 2-3 minutes but will put up a very obvious column of smoke that can be seen for miles. The last ditch signal fire as it can start a small forest fire and then when they do find you you get the bill for putting it out. Making payments is cheaper than dying....

BTW: Signal fires are useless if you see a commercial jet at 20,000 feet or higher. The pilots do not have the mindset and at that distance may think your smoke is significant.

BTW: bic and butane torch lighters can turn out to be useless in the cold as the gas will not vaporize and come out of the lighter with enough heat to light your tinder. Carry your butane lighter next to your body where it is warm. At minus 35 the flame will die to very small very quickly as the lighter looses heat.

Charlie Sometimes
04-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Years ago one of my survival buddies had a fire starting challenge at his 40th birth day party. He gave each of us a bundle of kindling, wood, and billy can (Can with a bail on it) to boil water and make tea. The first guy with boiling water won.

What did you win, besides getting the first hot drink? :popcorn:
Now, THAT is a birthday party- the honoree gets to torture the guests! :wink:

10x
04-30-2011, 11:52 AM
What did you win, besides getting the first hot drink? :popcorn:
Now, THAT is a birthday party- the honoree gets to torture the guests! :wink:

Bragging and gloating rights!
As for torturing guests the birthday boy did receive a goat as a gift - sort of a combined B.D. gift and start to a menagerie on his new acreage. It was a billy goat and the word "reek" took on a whole new meaning.

nanuk
04-30-2011, 06:01 PM
a guy up here got lost on a very large lake

wind picked up into a storm so he pulled it to the shore

and Lo... there he sat for 3 days (or was it more) he has used up all his boat gas, what little he had left from trying to find his way back to a lodge

he had his axe, and cut down three powerpole where the line ran within a couple miles of shore.

on the third pole cut, the line broke.

Sask Power found him in very poor health a day and a half later with a helio search for the downed line.

good thing the poles weren't steel...