PDA

View Full Version : 230 grain paper patched boolit in a 45-70!

iammarkjones
03-16-2011, 08:19 PM
Ok, I am just wondering if there is any possibility this would work. Take a 230 grain boolit intended for a 45ACP (.452 as cast i think) paper patch to .460ish seated over 4 or 5 grains of bullseye. Now I hear you thinki'n just buy a collar button mold but where would the fun be in that! :mrgreen:

montana_charlie
03-16-2011, 08:38 PM
Sounds workable to me as long as the rifling isn't too fast for the bullet.
But the best place to talk about it is the Smokeless Paper Patching forum section.

CM

iammarkjones
03-16-2011, 09:11 PM
But the best place to talk about it is the Smokeless Paper Patching forum section.

CM

Perhaps one of the mods would be kind enough to give this thread a boot into the correct section. As for the twist it is 1:20 RH which sounds slow, but I have no experience with PP cast. This started out as a brain fart but as I research more I am intrigued.......

wallacem
03-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Good timing, I have just started paper patching 45-70... I took some 255 gr .452 LC bullets, patched them to .460. Ran them in my NEF rifle in front of 10 grains of Unique. I shot them at 100 yds, grouped about 3". VERY LITTLE kick. I was impressed with them for a first time thing. Wallacem in Ga

Walter Laich
03-16-2011, 11:27 PM
I tried that very same thing, almost.

First, my .45-70 barrel slugs out at .454--it's an old rebarrel and I guess that's what the previous owner asked for.

Took some of my 250 gr .452 Lyman molded bullets, paper patched them and sent them down range with 5 grains of Red Dot. Did fine out to 50 yards.

The drop at 100 was about 3 feet but with Kentucky windage was still hitting the steel target.

303Guy
03-17-2011, 05:03 AM
Not sure how such a light load would work with paper patching. I've found that with my rifles - 303 Brit - that a fairly high chamber pressure is required to shred the patch at the muzzle. BUT - I only have experience with the 303 Brit and 25-303 and then with fairly soft but tough alloys.

32-20
03-17-2011, 01:25 PM
iammarkjones - what rifle are you shooting them in? At .460" that sounds like an original Trapdoor?

Might work, one of the old practice rounds from back in the day was just a round ball seated over a felt wad and 40 gr. of 3F blackpowder. Rumored that that shot pretty well at 50 yards.

Longwood
03-17-2011, 06:14 PM

CM
I sure would like some help finding the "Smokeless paper patching forum".
I think I saw it a couple of times but I am used to the Yahoo groups and am having a hell of a time finding what I am looking for on this group.
Is there a help page somewhere? To date, I have only managed too memorized a few thousand so maybe a page with acronym (related to this site) definitions.
Thanks in advance.

Longwood
03-17-2011, 06:48 PM
I sure would like some help finding the "Smokeless paper patching forum".
I think I saw it a couple of times but I am used to the Yahoo groups and am having a hell of a time finding what I am looking for on this group.
Is there a help page somewhere? To date, I have only managed too memorized a few thousand so maybe a page with acronym (related to this site) definitions.
Thanks in advance.
How about that,,, I stumbled onto it all by myself by clicking on everything on the home page and accidentally learned one of the numerous meanings for cb at the same time. :-)
Thanks