PDA

View Full Version : Sons of Guns

Lee
03-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Any body watched this?? I have my opinions, just curious as to what olhers have to say...:?

stubshaft
03-16-2011, 08:20 PM
It's interesting and innovative. Kinda like mythbusters for shooters.

dragonrider
03-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Yeah I watch when I can. I find very interesting. It's 1000% better than top shot.

shdwlkr
03-16-2011, 08:39 PM
I watch an like some of his ideas and some things leave me wondering what the heck for.
I also watch top shot more for the different shooting then anything else.

Lee
03-16-2011, 09:23 PM
Update. Watched again tonight.

Tonight they peed away an hour re-inventing a single shot zip gun version of the 5 Shot Taurus Judge. Just to whack an alligator. Waste of bandwidth. I wouldn't buy a cap-gun from these video bozos.
Click! Channel change!

Superfly
03-16-2011, 09:29 PM
it is a joke he acts like a almighty ass and ****** get over the saiga shotguns already.

danski26
03-16-2011, 09:46 PM
I've seen it twice. I wasn't impressed. It seems like he trys to make a big deal about reinventing things that have already been done. One that I watched he was attaching a shotgun to an AR-15. He made it seem like he was doing something new.

azcruiser
03-16-2011, 10:02 PM
Watched one today where they thought they could keep pirates away with a fireworks display, then the next on was the 410 ga zip gun for alligators .
Hey if the guy making money good for him .Don't see how must get paid by the TV production company ?

peerlesscowboy
03-16-2011, 10:09 PM
Yeah, I've watched it a few times..........not impressed. FWIW, not much impressed with "Top Shot" either. In a way it's kind of refreshing to see shooting and guns presented in a favorable way on TV but I'm thinking they should be able to come up with something better :-?

mooman76
03-16-2011, 10:19 PM
I kinda like Topshot. I don't like the drama but sometimes you gotta take the good with the bad. Mostly I just like the creative ways they come up with to shot but also like the different guns and such.

barrybrice
03-16-2011, 10:33 PM
Will seems like a drag to work for. The show equally poor.

tomf52
03-16-2011, 10:40 PM
One or two viewings is about all I could take.

JRMTactical
03-16-2011, 11:45 PM
The Thompson SMG "revamp/update" did them in for me...I almost vomited.... Sorry, but a Picatinny rail and black Krylon over that beautiful walnut stock just doesn't work.

Phillip
03-17-2011, 12:36 AM
They have good shows and bad....Mostly bad, but....

The Flame Thrower restoration was a good one, but I do wish they had gone more in detail with it.

The bazooka that shot model rockets was kind neat and the silenced shotgun was pretty cool as well.

The rest were basic to the point that a trunk monkey could have done it.

They really need to get more technical with the builds that they do, or it will just be another top shot show.......meh

edsmith
03-17-2011, 12:50 AM
a shop full of retarded morons, the head jerkwad is a good reason retroactive abortion should be legal. he has the personailty of a dead clam. come to think about it, I would rather hang out with the dead clam. :)

Smoke-um if you got-um
03-17-2011, 03:27 AM
My shooting buddy and I are of divided opinions. He thinks the show is just about the best thing since beer in a can and I watched it a time or two on his recommendation. I found the "big dog" in the shop to be annoying and figured we wouldn't get along all that well if we had to work together any length of time. In my opinion they do not represent the shooting fraternity very well.
:coffee:

Mike

Lloyd Smale
03-17-2011, 05:44 AM
I like it. Theres alot of gun shows alot less entertaining.

Charlie Two Tracks
03-17-2011, 05:55 AM
I watched it for the first time last night. It was ok. At least they didn't have guys running around throwing stuff and acting like little kids like Orange County Chopper. I've watched a few episodes of Ice Road Truckers, Swamp loggers and The Deadliest Catch. None of them get watched much. Antiques Road Show. Now that's a show! I don't even know what's on the TV for the regular season shows but............ that's why there's more than one channel on a TV. Not everybody is the same.

casterofboolits
03-17-2011, 06:28 AM
I have watched several episodes and the best is where they mounted a shotgun on a four wheeler for a disabled Marine so that he could hunt hogs. This alone justifies the show for me.

Semper Fi!

steg
03-17-2011, 07:20 AM
Can't figgure out which one I dislike the most...........................steg

FISH4BUGS
03-17-2011, 07:33 AM
Those people are morons. They are doing more damage to the gun community than anyone else has. They are making NFA stuff and making it seem like anyone can just come in and buy it.
The tour the kid gave only lacked crotch grabbing, yo yo yo.....know what I mean dog? and gang signs and saggy pants.
This program reinforces the reasons why I do not own a television.

Tazman1602
03-17-2011, 08:02 AM
Yeah I saw that one Lee and was not impressed either. Growing up scuba diving in Florida we had a tool called a "bangstick" that used a 12 gauge shell for sharks if they got out of line - not like they invented anything new and for 'gators? I'd have put a 3 foot long handle on that thing.......

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

bobthenailer
03-17-2011, 08:09 AM
Any show about firearms or shooting on TV is worth watching ! some better than others .
Son of Guns so far is fairly enternaing . But the owner is definatly high on himself and has a attitude problem.
I have a friend who really likes the show as he is into machine gus and slincers , and has a few.

EMC45
03-17-2011, 08:18 AM
They are obsessed with Saigas! I also don't care for the way the daughter talks to her father. She needs to be "adjusted".

FISH4BUGS
03-17-2011, 10:13 AM
Any show about firearms or shooting on TV is worth watching ! some better than others .
Son of Guns so far is fairly enternaing . But the owner is definatly high on himself and has a attitude problem.
I have a friend who really likes the show as he is into machine gus and slincers , and has a few.

I would suggest that anyone that owns machine guns, supressors, AOW's, SBS's, etc (as I do), and knows the laws of acquisition, disposition and ownership (as I do also) looks at these people as goobers and KNOWS they are presenting a false impression of NFA ownership. Buy a silencer? Sure.....here ya go! They don't tell you about the paperwork, the CLEO sign off, $200 tax stamp, the fingerprints, the investigation, the approval process, transfer, etc.
They are idiots, they are goobers and they are harming the gun ownership in this country.
You wait....they will be used in some anti gun propoganda. Mark my words.

EMC45
03-17-2011, 10:42 AM
I would suggest that anyone that owns machine guns, supressors, AOW's, SBS's, etc (as I do), and knows the laws of acquisition, disposition and ownership (as I do also) looks at these people as goobers and KNOWS they are presenting a false impression of NFA ownership. Buy a silencer? Sure.....here ya go! They don't tell you about the paperwork, the CLEO sign off, $200 tax stamp, the fingerprints, the investigation, the approval process, transfer, etc.
They are idiots, they are goobers and they are harming the gun ownership in this country.

Well said. They make it look like it is a Mom and Pop one stop shop. There is a whole lot more to it then they let on.

Jim
03-17-2011, 10:46 AM
I watched it one time. If the "high brass" acts like that for real, I wouldn't go through his front door to tell him his building was on fire. If he's acting like that because the producers tell him to, he's a plastic fake.

Smoke-um if you got-um
03-17-2011, 12:37 PM
Hhhhmmm.....powdered beer.....freeze dried beer.....instant beer? Beer in outer space? Beer on the Moon, beer on Mars, the possibilities are almost unlimited. Much longer shelf life, just add water. It couldn't taste any worse than some of the stuff I've tasted from a few of the micro-brewery's around here. This is obviously the next billion dollar industry. I see a Patent-Lawyer in someones future...... [smilie=w:

Mike :hijack:

Buddy
03-17-2011, 01:08 PM
I've watched it enough to know his daughter is a little beeeeyooch! "The only people who can tell my dad what to do are me and God". I'm old school folks, I'd not like to have dealt with trying to tell my father what to do. I respect him more than that. I don't think firearms and reality TV have a place in my life. Don' think Red Jacket has a very good perception of reality. Ditch the daughter and show something interesting to working class America.

PatMarlin
03-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Anyone tape it?

35isit
03-17-2011, 03:59 PM
I have watched a few episodes. I don't like it much. They should talk more about the legalities of owning the products they manufacture and sell. On one episode a customer did want to buy a restricted short barreled shotgun for hunting. He must have watched an episode and thought he could buy it and walk out with it. The girl informed him he couldn't and he seemed displeased. The producers should have explained the laws at that time about the laws pertaining to the weapons they sell

Lee
03-17-2011, 10:57 PM
Tape it?? Why waste the tape????

jblee10
03-17-2011, 11:09 PM
Watched one last night with a "rocket launcher". Was that a joke? Lots of stuff I see on the show is old school rehash. But they should be shot for taking a Thompson and putting a rail on it. Didn't that freckin sheriff ever hear of a .45 AR? A real smith wouldn't do that to a Thompson. An AR has to climb less than a Thompson anyway. GET REAL!

cajun shooter
03-18-2011, 09:38 AM
All of these type shows are put together by the people running them. That is why Jesse James finally got tired of being told what to do to make good TV. I started in the gun business in the late 60's and know most all the old time gun people in the BR area. I have never heard of these guys until the program. I have yet to see a full show but heard the head guy say that his business has increased by 600% since they signed on. The Tuttle family are now suing each other in court over the millions of dollars that they made by putting it on for the TV. That is sad to see any family broken up so that others may be entertained. I hope that they survive and have a business after the camera's are gone.

blasternank
03-18-2011, 09:48 AM
I don't mind the show but take it for what it is. People trying to appear cleaver and reinventing the wheel. They are neither. I didn't mind the one show on the 5 lb. AR but I didn't see anything new done, a Carbon fiber FF tube, pencil barrel and light stocks. Whoopee!

steg
03-18-2011, 10:49 AM
I quit watching when they handed the boss a sawed off double barrel, with the stock bobbed off to just a handel, and he said "thanks guys now heres something I can use", Is there any way to make something like that legal? and even so, where would you use it?.............................steg

Ben
03-18-2011, 11:00 AM
A lot of the public that have not made their mind up yet if they are pro gun or anti will be swayed by this program, unfortunately in the wrong direction.

Ben

Storydude
03-18-2011, 11:24 AM

They are an 07 with an SOT. There is no transfer in the common sense.

I agree the process is confusing, but remember, tax stamps are must issue.

My state will not allow any NFA items, but friends in NFA friendly states have informed me the most difficult part is the CLEO signature, unless you know someone. The rest is no different than a standard background check for a good paying job.

I also agree that they aren't the brightest bulbs, but if Discovery's production company wanted to approach most of us and write us a blank check to make a show about leadcasting, I'll bet a good portion of us jump.

From a person I e-know, that happens to be on the show, that brandy new CNC mill wasn't in the shop until day of first filming. Bought and paid for by the production company. It still sits mostly idle.

gnoahhh
03-18-2011, 11:28 AM
I guess the show is aimed at the young impressionable crowd of 14 year olds that so much TV programming is designed for. I watched it a few times and have sworn to ignore it in the future. That girl needs a lesson in humility.

scb
03-18-2011, 06:08 PM
I've seen this thing a couple of times and wasn't impressed. I'm sure most if not all of the "drama" is made up for television. For most of the population watching someone who knows what they're doing work on guns is like watching paint dry. I also think Ben is right, it will have a negative effect on how people uninvolved with firearms will view them and the people associated with them. While I don't know if that is the producers intent, I doubt they care. The good thing is I doubt that anyone not "interested" in guns would watch it for very long. I also doubt that anyone that really knows about guns will watch it either.

dk17hmr
03-18-2011, 06:50 PM
I like it...... I also like Top Shot.

Better than watching CNN.

dmen
03-18-2011, 06:50 PM
They ruined that 1919 for an annual ego boost, apparently on the public dime. dmen

azcruiser
03-18-2011, 07:31 PM
Really it's kind of an anti 2 Amendment show.
You know sooner or later someone like Barbra Boxer will be showing how every gun is a machine gun or something to that effect

PatMarlin
03-18-2011, 08:24 PM
If it's anything like that gold mining show it would be like pulling hair to watch those idiots.

Talk about someone not having any idea what they were doing ....:roll:

troy_mclure
03-18-2011, 08:40 PM
i like all the rants about ruining a "Thompson". if by kahr replica you mean Thompson you guys have even less firearms knowledge than the average interwebs ranger.

as far as the "providing ammo for the antis" guys, they will use ANYTHING to further their cause, even make stuff up. why hide your guns in the closet and whimper about those using/showing them in public "presenting a bad image", when you provide no image at all.

BOOM BOOM
03-18-2011, 10:07 PM
HI,
Once again, the show is drawing viewers.
If it turns 1 non-shooter/ non-gun owner into 1 of us it is a good thing.
Gone are the glory day of seeing the Banchi (SP?) cup, cowboy action shooting, or any other old time positive gun orientated show on ESPN . :Fire::Fire:

giz189
03-18-2011, 11:37 PM
They ruined that 1919 for an annual ego boost, apparently on the public dime. dmen Ummm, not a real Thompson guys, it is a replica, probably not over a couple of years old and was semi auto when they received it.

bbqncigars
03-18-2011, 11:45 PM
If it was really about guns, the producers would have made sure that the one old boy's Maxim got restored. That would have been worth a half hour right there!

gnoahhh
03-19-2011, 02:19 AM
With any luck, interest in the show will dry up and it'll disappear from the airwaves.

Ha ha, gotta agree with you Patmarlin regarding those buffoon gold miners. Those guys hadn't a clue. While I applaud their wanting to slice off a piece of the pie for themselves, and their gumption in doing it, they should have gotten their ducks in a row before making the attempt,or at the very least brought someone aboard from Day One who knew his ass from a hole in the ground. The big dude who was nominally in charge was clueless about organizing an operation like that and motivating/managing people. But they did find some gold. Enough to buy a late model SUV. I hope the show's producers are bankrolling them so they don't lose their houses 'til they can get back up there and have another go at it. (Which if that's true, just goes to show that it's yet another "reality" show that's staged.)

These two shows are just indicative of how far television programming has sunk. They can't be bothered to create quality shows that entertain, inform, or are thought provoking. They (TV production people) have determined that we the viewing public want to be "dumbed down" by more and more "reality" TV. If they have made an accurate generalization in that regard, then God help us all.

troyboy
03-19-2011, 02:41 AM
It is all for the camera. There is no such thing as reality it is all scripted. Sons of Guns is alright for what it is. I wish they would show a real show watching someone working a real job,,,,,,,, until that time when nothing else is going,,,,, Killing time in the motel room,,,,,,,, with nothing better to watch,,,,,,,,,, I will still watch.

lbaize3
03-19-2011, 01:49 PM
I even tape the new episodes. There is so much brain dead stuff on TV (like CNN) that I can switch to the recorded programs and watch something about guns. I agree that these folks are unique, but I have learned to be more tolerant as I have aged. Heck, if everything met my expectations, it would be a very boring world.[smilie=l:

Ugluk
03-19-2011, 05:16 PM
They should fit a float to that zip-gun. Especially since it's the most expensive one of its kind available..

lathesmith
03-20-2011, 11:10 PM
Growing up scuba diving in Florida we had a tool called a "bangstick" that used a 12 gauge shell for sharks if they got out of line - not like they invented anything new and for 'gators? I'd have put a 3 foot long handle on that thing.......

Agreed. Why use a clumsy zip gun like the one fashioned on the show, when a Taurus Judge would be far easier to use? Besides, all the old-timers that hunt 'gators for real that I have ever seen--those that still have all their hands and fingers, anyway-- use a rifle to dispatch a live gator on the line, and not a handgun. I sure wouldn't want to be sticking my hand down near a live gator on a regular basis, and obviously the old timers had this figured out long ago.

lathesmith

Ronbo256
03-21-2011, 01:47 AM
I wouldn't own anything built by "Red Jacket" if you paid me. I'm a better gunsmith/machinist than anyone on that show, and I've made my living as a computer/electronics tech for the past 30 years.

gnoahhh
03-21-2011, 10:22 AM
Seems the producers of reality TV are missing a good bet by ignoring we bullet casters. After watching "Mythbusters" I can't help but feel that the accumulated knowledge of the posters on this board could do a better job of the experiments those guys do also.

Trey45
03-21-2011, 10:34 AM
I got about 7 minutes into one episode and had to stop watching it. I don't watch "reality" TV, and I especially don't watch staged "reality" TV. If that boss is really as much of a jerk as he portrays himself to be on the show there's no way he's got employees loyal to him or the company.

9.3X62AL
03-21-2011, 10:53 AM
I have zero use for the reality TV genre. And the shooting sports make lousy spectator sports, anyway--it's a PARTICIPANT SPORT.

PatMarlin
03-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Seems the producers of reality TV are missing a good bet by ignoring we bullet casters. After watching "Mythbusters" I can't help but feel that the accumulated knowledge of the posters on this board could do a better job of the experiments those guys do also.

The skill, knowledge, and expertise of members on this forum of most subjects is amazing.

I'll go as far to say there's not one subject that could not be covered here, and done well.

exile
03-21-2011, 12:43 PM
I tried to watch it several times, and I mean tried, couldn't do it. I wish they would have a show about a reputable gunsmith on, but anybody with a fair amount of work to do would not want someone running around in his shop during work hours. Very disappointing.

Same for "topshot" or whatever that show is called.

exile

Lee
03-21-2011, 07:16 PM
:takinWiz:MythBusters

Bulltipper
03-21-2011, 07:40 PM
I can't watch it. Not because the guy's a jerk or it's all rehash. It's because SWMBO hogs the television and watches such cruelty as Bachelor, and General Hospital...

rattletrap1970
03-21-2011, 07:56 PM
I don't like it. It panders to the dumbest element. I equate it to watching wrestling. No useful information, not handy tips, nothing of any value. It's just a total waste of time.

dk17hmr
03-21-2011, 08:04 PM
..... It panders to the dumbest element......

You rang?

RP
03-21-2011, 08:07 PM
Well with all those shows they do stuff to make it more for TV with the drama and such. I guess real life day to day is not interesting enough for ratings. So you got to keep that in mind I have seen it one time. Thing is if i do some channel surfing I may watch it again.

stubshaft
03-21-2011, 08:21 PM
I wonder if he'll make me one of these!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvvzeu33ZA4&feature=related

bob208
03-23-2011, 07:15 PM
we have not had a tv in 3 years. so i guess i am not missing much.

Tom-ADC
03-23-2011, 07:28 PM
Yeah I watch when I can. I find very interesting. It's 1000% better than top shot.

I agree gave up on Top Shot but find some of the projects interesting and I notice everything is by the book when its all done.

Sieveboy
04-05-2011, 04:57 PM
The show is a disservice to gun owners, and perpetuates the myth that we are all tatooed, scraggy, disheveled yahoos waving black rifles around. The show does have some interesting moments, but they are quickly forgotten when you see these yokels grinding, welding, turning a screw with a stanley screwdriver or using vise-grips.

If you want to see a quality gun segment, check out the "how it's made" clip done at Holland & Holland or the "how do they do it" clip at Purdey. These were good.

I wish we could see a custom shop getting into wildcatting, chamber reaming, threading, stockmaking, parts making or refinishing. But the attention span of the typical viewer is somewhat less than would be required for that.

Also, quality 'smiths aren't going to waste time arguing like drunken little girls for the camera, which seems to be a common thread in these reality shows.

Trey45
04-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Sieveboy, excellent first post, welcome to the forum!

Lloyd Smale
04-06-2011, 06:10 AM
you have to take it with a grain of salt. You dont actually think that people really act like they do on shows like deadliest catch and swamp loggers do you. Most of the conflicts are set up for the cammer to entertain. As to the tatooed characters again im sure there for effect. I guess personaly i wouldnt want anyone to think im a scruffy tatooed black rifle waving yahoo because i own guns but personaly would just as soon that as have them think im a tweet sweater wearing yuppy who buys purdy or holland and holland shotguns to show off at tea time. A guy can take about any tv show and pick it apart for some reason or other. To me ANY gun related show is better then dancing with the starts or bachler. Reality shows on the whole get pretty old to me. I had to shake my head the other day when i saw there was even one now about a taxiderist in alaska. Wonder what there going to argue about? Crooked penis on a mount!

leftiye
04-06-2011, 10:29 PM
FWIW, (and I know that ain't much), Ah doan care, Ah likes the show. When the alternative is what's on TV, anything that isn't totally messed up that has guns for it's subject matter can have my time. P.S. I even like that jerk who owns the company, he knows he's behind the eight ball and isn't letting any sc___off make him responsible for the sc___up.

Tom R
04-12-2011, 02:04 AM
worst show ever. This show hires actors to portray leaders that "Run troops over seas". It is a slap in the face to those who served. I take personal offense to the ********. I am not at all entertained. We have to fight against the governments laws calling a muffler a firearm, We are fighting for our right to bear arms. which by the way was intended to protect our cannons not our hunting riffles. ARMS not small arms. I am not going to support a Class three dealership that hurts our image in the public's eyes. We have enough trouble as it is. I will urge you all to look at it in the same way.

longranger
04-12-2011, 03:39 PM
I learned more about guns on last nights House episode with the spud gun's than anything this show can come up with.