PDA

View Full Version : Moral dilemna - Cast or j-word

stubshaft
03-16-2011, 06:22 PM
In the course of my horse trading I have recently acquired a Bullberry 15" step barrel chambered for 6mm TCU.

The problem is that although I cast for most of the calibers I currently own, I have NOTHING for a 6mm. It is compounded by the fact that Nosler is selling 1K of 55gr 6mm bullets for $103.00. Roughly what it would cost me to gear up for 6mm cast. I realize that after purchasing the equipment I would be able to exceed the initial 1K bullets easily.

Just looking for alternate viewpoints to help me decide.

jhrosier
03-16-2011, 06:30 PM
I most certainly wouldn't pass up j-word bullets for that price.
I recently bought a bunch of bullets for my AR for an attractive price, with no pangs of conscience.
There are good reasons for straying from the true path to enlightenment once in a while.:twisted:

Jack

Von Gruff
03-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Tough decission, but once the 1k is gone they are gone and a percentage of the barrel,s life as well. The gear for casting and 1k of cast boolits will have that barrel looking smooth and sweet for many more k's worth down range.

:cbpour:

Von Gruff.

45 2.1
03-16-2011, 07:44 PM
BRP has a very nice 76 gr. ready to load boolit made for the 6x45. It is doing quite well in testing.

firefly1957
03-16-2011, 08:09 PM
I would use J word for that gun/caliber but I have had people say bad things about me. Trouble is, does that bullet work for what you want to do?

stubshaft
03-16-2011, 08:34 PM
I would use J word for that gun/caliber but I have had people say bad things about me. Trouble is, does that bullet work for what you want to do?

To be honest I don't know how accurate the bullet would be. The barrel has a 1 in 10 twist so I have no doubt it would be stabilized just fine. I guess that the problems I've had with the boolit fit of the Bator has gotten me a little gun shy regarding boolit fit in the throat and the TCU case has a relatively short neck. In my 7TCU I just bought the RCBS 145 SIL and never looked back. As far as whether or not the bullet will work, I have no doubt it would. The only thing we have resembling varmints are hogs and goats and they don't take too much to anchor. I was also toying with the idea of shooting IHMSA half size targets.

Just my rambling thots.

dragonrider
03-16-2011, 08:35 PM
I don't shoot j-words at all so for me there is no question. Cast. That does seem like a good price tho.

BD
03-16-2011, 08:51 PM
Far and away the bulk of what I shoot is cast, largely in handguns. My reloading room is geared around cast, my free time is absorbed with thoughts of cast possibilities.

However, almost every time I go to the range I'll take the time to ding the 300 yard 6" gong with a mag full of SMK 77 grainers, absolutely guilt free and with a big smile on my mug :) I admit it. It's not a sin. Many of us do it on the side, and just keep it on the QT. It doesn't make me a bad person... does it?

BD

stubshaft
03-16-2011, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, but, I bit the bullet and ordered 1K of the j-words. This does not mean that in the future I won't be casting for it but in the words of the prophet "if you snooze you lose".

pdawg_shooter
03-17-2011, 08:28 AM
I am to to the point I dont cast for anything under 30cal. But then I am down to two rifles under 30cal.

songdog53
03-17-2011, 09:08 AM
I am lucky because bought large lots of J bullets for my calibers below 44. I tend to shoot my pistols and 44 rifle more and wasn't bright or brave enough to cast for my AR's. I know now if ever shoot all my 7mm J bullets will go with casting them. Main reason is Obama has his way we won't be able to get any J bullets anyway. But everything i hunt other than what shoot thru .223 i use cast anyway.

Olevern
03-17-2011, 11:14 AM
You traded a horse for a barrel. Least ya don't have to feed the barrel. :-)

stubshaft
03-17-2011, 04:01 PM
You traded a horse for a barrel. Least ya don't have to feed the barrel. :-)

LOL - That barrel don't shoot hay!

firefly1957
03-17-2011, 06:09 PM
songdog53 It is possible to find dies that turn spent 22 long rifle casings into great bullets for your .223. I use them with a solid core .185 lead wire or if I want them to really come apart I compress shot in the jacket . 9 #2 shot in jacket gives you a 55gr bullet I have found that #9 shot lacks penetration on anything larger than a raccoon. Those bullets were all loaded near 3300f/s. Remember the shot is compressed it would not fit otherwise.