PDA

View Full Version : From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners

cbrick
03-16-2011, 03:52 PM
Many of you have heard that Glen Fryxell has been writing a full length book on bullet casting, most of those that have heard this have been eagerly waiting for it.

The wait is over, the book is out and it is outstanding. The foreword is by John Taffin and says it all about this book.

Glen decided not to publish in a paper book but instead has published the book on the LASC web site.

From Ingot To Target, A cast Bullet Guide For Handgunners (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm) (In html)
From Ingot To Target, A Cast Bullet Guide For Handgunners (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf) (In pdf)

I'm sure you'll enjoy Glen's writing as much as I did.

Rick

markinalpine
03-16-2011, 05:57 PM
Now if he'd just learn how to spell "Boolit." :bigsmyl2:

Mark [smilie=s:

BCB
03-16-2011, 06:07 PM
cbrick,

Would you happen to know where the hard bound book could be purchased?

Thanks...BCB

geargnasher
03-17-2011, 10:15 PM
I'm guessing there's no paper version at all, just the e-book?

Gear

cbrick
03-17-2011, 10:21 PM
Yep Gear, no paper. I was quite surprised when Glen told me he was going to only publish the book online and when he offered it to me for the lasc site . . . Well, I've done some foolish things in the past but nothing nearly as foolish as saying no to that offer.

Rick

*Paladin*
03-18-2011, 07:15 AM
Wow! That looks great! It certainly looks worth printing into book form.

Irascible
03-18-2011, 06:14 PM
Damn, I hate reading books on the computer. I never finished Paco's book because of that. I'm slowly printing it out and putting it in a binder, then I'll sit down and enjoy it.

BCB
03-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Damn, I hate reading books on the computer. I never finished Paco's book because of that. I'm slowly printing it out and putting it in a binder, then I'll sit down and enjoy it.

I agree...

That is why I asked where a person can actually puchase the book...

I actually won't read it on the Net. Too much bother and it just doesn't seem real. Plus my screen is small as it is an oldie...

BCB

Dannix
03-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Is a .pdf version available, ya know?

03-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Rick,

Thank you for sharing Glen's latest work. This is very attictive reading!

Mark

cbrick
03-24-2011, 11:29 PM
Ok, several of you aked for it, here it is.

From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners by Glen E. Fryxell and Robert L. Applegate.

And now it's in pdf for your numerical printing pleasure.

Four days ago I couldn't even spell pdf, now I did one :mrgreen:.

From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners in pdf (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf)

Enjoy!

Rick

crabo
03-25-2011, 12:46 AM
Rick, thank you for all of the time that you put into this to make it available to us. It is amazing what can be learned from the generous people in this forum.

Glen
03-25-2011, 02:09 AM
Thanks Rick!

Snyd
03-25-2011, 02:23 AM
Yes, thanks very much. A fantastic resource.

Bob J
03-29-2011, 08:14 AM
Rick, this is awesome! Much appreciate your hard work and insight!

selmerfan
03-31-2011, 09:19 AM
Ok, several of you aked for it, here it is.

From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners by Glen E. Fryxell and Robert L. Applegate, in pdf for your printing pleasure. Four days ago I couldn't even spell pdf, now I did one :mrgreen:.

From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners in pdf (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf)

Enjoy!

Rick

And I just spent a half hour copying and pasting it into Word...

cbrick
03-31-2011, 02:58 PM
And I just spent a half hour copying and pasting it into Word...

Sorry about that, the pdf link has been there since a week ago today.

Rick

cbrick
04-07-2011, 02:25 AM
From Ingot to Target in pdf is now available with proper page numbering for your numerical printing pleasure.

And for those that prefer reading it on the computer, html:

From Ingot to Target:
A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm)

Rick

VHoward
04-15-2011, 08:40 PM
I have it printed out and put in a 3 ring binder. I will read it and learn.

cbrick
04-29-2011, 11:36 AM
I have it printed out and put in a 3 ring binder. I will read it and learn.

Welcome to Castboolits VHoward, yep, much to be learned in these pages. This book is quite the resource.

Rick

jdbark1952
05-09-2011, 04:47 PM
Thanks,

I'm just starting to cast some bullets and the book is just what I needed.

cbrick
05-09-2011, 10:42 PM
Thanks,

I'm just starting to cast some bullets and the book is just what I needed.

Welcome to CastBoolits jdbark1952,

Your right, as a new caster this book will get you started in the right direction from equipment to what for and why not, a good deal of the history also.

In addition to that it's a really good read.

From Ingot To Target, A cast Bullet Guide For Handgunners (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm) (In html)
From Ingot To Target, A Cast Bullet Guide For Handgunners (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf) (In pdf)

Rick

DukeInFlorida
05-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Be mindful, that the book, in everyone of it's forms, is copyrighted!

And, the copyright forbids printing any part of the book, or the book in whole, without the consent of the author!

I say that because I have also written a book, and am very protective of it.

Having said that, I can tell you that Glen is very generous in granting printing privileges.

For those of you who have already printed a copy, without Glen's permission, please seek his permission ASAP.

Thanks, Glen, for making this available to this community!

cbrick
05-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Duke,

Glen has given his permission to print out "a" copy for your own use. What he does not want and stated so in his post here is copies run off and sold, that would no doubt cause legal problems.

Rick

cbrick
05-15-2011, 09:55 AM
Absolutely! I have no problem with folks printing out hard copies for their own reference.

That is Glen's post from the Classics & Stickies forum, post #90 dated 03-21-11, Glen E. Fryxell Fans thread.

Rick

birddog1520
05-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Thank You very much!

Randy, The Birddog.

10 Spot Terminator
05-15-2011, 04:36 PM
To anyone who has printed this from the PDF format,,, How many pages was it ? My cheesy printer doesnt have very good cartrige capacity and dont want to run out right in the middle. I want a printed form as I will referrence back time and time again I am sure .
Thanks, 10 Spot

cbrick
05-15-2011, 09:31 PM
10 Spot, with double sided printing it should be 87 pages. Single side printing double that or 174 pages.

Rick

autopilotmp
05-15-2011, 10:42 PM
New here and thought this would be a great book to read since I'm just starting to cast. I've got a quick question about the use of this book. Is it legal for me to put the pdf file on my kindle?

cbrick
05-15-2011, 10:51 PM
Welcome to Castboolits autopilotmp, Glen has given permission for people to print out or download a copy for their personal use. I don't think it would matter if you read it on your lap top, Kindle or printed it to read on paper, Just don't print out extra copies and sell them.

Rick

DukeInFlorida
05-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Just bought a new set of HIGH VOLUME ink carts for my HP printer.

Printed out (or tried to) a copy for the cast bullet workshop I'm running in Massachusetts. Printed with the author's permission, mind you.

There are so many color images in the 174 pages that my brand new cartridges ran OUT of ink before the job was done.

I'd suggest that anyone who;s going to print this puppy out find the way (each printer is different) to REDUCE the size of each page. The font size is HUGE. If the font were a 11 size font, or even a 12 (rather than the 14 or 16 that it is), the pages would be much less.

Anyone who has a registered version of Adobe Acrobat can edit the font size directly. I didn't have the budget to get a full copy of Acrobat.

Off to the store to get another set of ink cartridges.

To anyone who has printed this from the PDF format,,, How many pages was it ? My cheesy printer doesnt have very good cartrige capacity and dont want to run out right in the middle. I want a printed form as I will referrence back time and time again I am sure .
Thanks, 10 Spot

cbrick
05-18-2011, 09:09 AM
The font size is HUGE. If the font were a 11 size font, or even a 12 (rather than the 14 or 16 that it is), the pages would be much less.

I cannot imagine how your computer/printer would come with 14 or 16 point font.

The entire document is done in 12 point Tahoma.

Rick

DukeInFlorida
05-18-2011, 09:15 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmmm.........

It printed the font in HUGE style. Just looking at it, I guessed 14 or 16.

What application was the original work done in?

That'll Do
05-18-2011, 09:19 AM
Another idea would be to download the .pdf file to a CD or USB flash drive, then take it to your local FedEx Office (formerly known as Kinko's) or Office Depot or Office Max, and have them print it out. It shouldn't be too terribly expensive, and you'll save your printer from a workout.

cbrick
05-18-2011, 09:23 AM
Adobe Acrobat.

Your pdf reader should be able to resize the pages. I suspect you have it set at a larger page size and your printer is getting page size from that.

The font style "Tahoma" is nearly identical to the font your reading this post in. If I'm not mistaken this forum is 11 point "Verdana". The main difference between Verdana and Tahoma is that Tahoma spacing between letters is closer than Verdana meaning more text in the same space. The entire book is 12 point Tahoma. Some of the captions under pictures are either 10 or 11 point Tahoma depending on what would fit in the space.

Rick

cbrick
05-18-2011, 09:32 AM
Another idea would be to download the .pdf file to a CD or USB flash drive, then take it to your local FedEx Office (formerly known as Kinko's) or Office Depot or Office Max, and have them print it out. It shouldn't be too terribly expensive, and you'll save your printer from a workout.

I have yet to print a copy myself but that is what I have been thinking of doing. It would probably be cheaper than the ink for an entire book.

Rick

Doby45
05-18-2011, 09:33 AM
Or simply drop the pdf on your iPad and read it wherever you go. ;)

cbrick
05-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Or simply drop the pdf on your iPad and read it wherever you go. ;)

Not me thanks. I can go cross eyed just trying to read phone numbers on my stupid Blackberry. An entire book on that little screen? I wouldn't get past the index page. :roll:

Rick

autopilotmp
05-22-2011, 09:25 AM
I would like to say thanks to the author(s) of this book it is a great read and full of info. Some of it was definetly way over my head but I found lots of the info to be helpful. Now I just have to start applying what I've learned. Again Thank You for this book.

Hardcast416taylor
05-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Then there are computer "stoopid" people like me that have a hard time getting onto the boolits website. I`m still holding my breath about a printed copy will come available.Robert[smilie=b:

cbrick
05-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Then there are computer "stoopid" people like me that have a hard time getting onto the boolits website. I`m still holding my breath about a printed copy will come available.Robert

Getting to the book is every bit as simple as getting here, one mouse click and you have it. Want to print it? A couple more mouse clicks and pages are running out of your printer.

Glen hasn't even made a hint that it will ever be published in paper book form. Now that its published on the web it would probably be very difficult to get a publisher to even consider it.

Rick

cbrick
05-22-2011, 09:59 PM
DukeInMaine,

I just printed everything through page 40 and text size is normal for me.

Was wondering if you got your printing issues resolved? You never came back with an answer to the large font size issue.

Rick

cbrick
05-28-2011, 07:55 PM

I looked into this at FedEx (Kinkos) and I almost fell over.

$20.00 for them to print out the entire book in black & white plus $6.00 for the binding

However, for them to print it in color . . . $116.00 plus $6.00 for the binding.

I can buy one heck of a lot of ink for $116.00.

Rick

bxchef29
05-29-2011, 10:27 PM
thanks great info will read

cbrick
06-10-2011, 11:00 AM
Once I finally got around to printing out the book from the pdf file I discovered that its much easier to spot formatting errors on paper than a computer screen. I also discovered that pictures that look fine on the computer, well not so much printed on plain paper. I went through the entire book line by line fixing the errors and making many of the pictures larger.

I printed the book a second time and found even more errors and the pictures while better still weren't quite there. I went through the entire book yet again and made many of the pictures larger and fixed more formatting errors. It should be noted that the formatting errors were mine in converting the original document to html and then using the html to go to pdf. The text is of course still the same, Glen's work remained intact through all of this.

Third printing looks much better. Its embarassing to me how poor the very first publishing looked compared to now. The point of this story is . . . Anyone that has printed an earlier version and wants to keep this book as a permenant part of their library may want to invest the ink to print a new book. A work this exceptional deserves to look its best and I may be close now.

Rick

SlippShodd
06-16-2011, 10:20 AM
I looked into this at FedEx (Kinkos) and I almost fell over.

$20.00 for them to print out the entire book in black & white plus $6.00 for the binding

However, for them to print it in color . . . $116.00 plus $6.00 for the binding.

I can buy one heck of a lot of ink for $116.00.

Rick

I took the file to Office Depot yesterday and had them print it in B/W and 3-hole punch it -- a bit over $11.00. I wanted to put it in a thin 3-ring binder that would protect it properly and still allow it to lay flat on my bench while I referred to it. Could have had it bound for an additional $4. I'll reprint the color pages myself and add them in.
I'm a longtime lurker and this should have been my first post, but I got caught up in another thread and couldn't stop myself... This is a fine work of art and love on all the participants' parts and I thank you. I gave it a quick skim yesterday and have now settled in to reading it cover to cover. I've been casting off and on for about 30 years and have not been satisfied with the information in the various casting manuals out there already. This fills a huge chasm in my casting knowledge. This forum has helped me with quick-fixes many times in the past because none of my problems have been exactly new. :wink: Thanks to y'all, I didn't give up on a very rewarding aspect of my gun nuttiness. Hopefully I can contribute in some small way in the future.
Now I gotta go call RCBS... my syphillitic Pro-Melt needs some medicine.

mike

TXGunNut
08-15-2011, 11:18 PM
Good read! I somehow managed to save it as a pdf file. I do most my reading on my laptop screen anyway.

C.F.Plinker
08-16-2011, 07:02 AM
Is there some way to put this book on a Kindle or Nook e-reader?

whd45
08-18-2011, 07:09 PM
This is a good read. A very good resource.

Jeff_WNY
08-23-2011, 09:46 AM
This is great. Thank you to all who had a part in making it available.

Idaho Sharpshooter
10-06-2011, 09:32 PM
My thanks as well. My lovely wife and I have been sitting in the living room (hopefully!) watching the Detroit Tigers beat the yankees while the printer made us a copy. Tomorrow morning over to the bookstore to get it spiral bound so it can lay flat on my bench to reference.

What a wonderful reference work.

Rich

I started casting boolets in the late 'sixties, and have shot in CBA and Schuetzen matches for nearly twenty years. There is a lot to be learned from this slender guide.

SSGOldfart
10-16-2011, 12:52 PM
the pdf link will print text only,great book

SSGOldfart
10-16-2011, 12:58 PM
hey dukeInMaine what is the title for your book? how does one go about buying a copy??

cbrick
10-16-2011, 01:26 PM
the pdf link will print text only, great book

Text only? If the pictures aren't printing I would think it is the set up/configuration of your computer. The pictures are there and should print.

Rick

alamogunr
10-26-2011, 11:12 AM
Third printing looks much better. Its embarassing to me how poor the very first publishing looked compared to now. The point of this story is . . . Anyone that has printed an earlier version and wants to keep this book as a permenant part of their library may want to invest the ink to print a new book. A work this exceptional deserves to look its best and I may be close now.

Rick

Rick, I suspect that my printed copy is from the 2nd version(1st PDF?Not sure). I do know that the pictures are now larger than my copy. I'm not going to attempt another printing until I buy a new printer. I have ruined my printer using cheap mail order ink(a warning for others tempted by low prices).

I assume that the book will be on LASC for the foreseeable future.

BTW, does anyone have a good recommendation for a printer. I'm not interested in commercial quality but not interested in the lowest price regardless of quality either. I'm partial to Canon printers because I can buy colors separately. HP makes you buy expensive color cartridges all-in-one.

P.K.
10-26-2011, 11:44 AM
Is there some way to put this book on a Kindle or Nook e-reader?

For the kindle it should be just a matter of hooking the usb cable up and your OS iding the kindle as a mass storage device.

cbrick
10-26-2011, 11:54 AM
I assume that the book will be on LASC for the foreseeable future.

BTW, does anyone have a good recommendation for a printer.

Just last month paid the hosting fees for lasc.us for the next 13 months, even should something horrible happen to me today the site will be there at least that long.

A good friend that got me into computers in the 80's owned a computer sales/repair shop, he was also an Epson factory authorized warranty repair shop. Because of that I've always had Epson printers, never had any reason to change and have always been impressed with them, only ever bought a new one to move up to newer technology. Seperate ink cartridges for each color.

Rick

contender1
12-28-2011, 10:49 AM
I've asked a question in the boolit lube section here that comes from this book. If Glen or Robert vist here, or anyone else can help, please check that section & look at my question about a cross referrence of grease.

Hang Fire
01-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Good read! I somehow managed to save it as a pdf file. I do most my reading on my laptop screen anyway.

Same here, I have a hospital type under the bed table and a cpvc holder for the LT at the right angle for lying in bed and reading from the LT. Just increase the font size and it works out great for me and helps with sleepy time..

Recluse
01-07-2012, 03:24 AM
Hmmmmm.

I'm having trouble getting the pdf to work on any of the Apple machines at the house.

Keep getting this error message:

/Downloads/Fryxell_Book_textonly2-3.pdf could not be opened, because an unknown error occurred.

I've never seen this error ever before with anything Adobe or pdf related. The more I try to figure it out. . . :killingpc

Latest versions of Acrobat on the big Apple (OS 10.6 Snow Leopard) and latest version of Adobe Reader on the laptops (OS 10.5.8 Leopard and OS 10.6 Snow Leopard).

No idea what's going on. Will head to the LASC site and see if anything is different.

:coffee:

cbrick
01-07-2012, 09:47 AM
Let me know if you have any problem downloading from lasc.us.

I just downloaded it without any problem. I know nothing about Apples, in fact I can't even spell Apple but I did see one once.

Rick

Recluse
01-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Just tried downloading from the lasc site, and same error message.

Problem has to be on my end.

I'll figure it out.

Thanks for keeping that website up. It's been a "go-to" resource for me for a long time. Excellent stuff on there!

Grandpas50AE
01-07-2012, 02:34 PM
I downloaded it last Monday afternoon, and have been reading it ever since. All I can say is WOW. I knew some of the stuff about casting techniques, but had a lot to learn about the metallurgy and lubes. It is a really great book, and I am thankful that it is available. That it is free just shows how much of a class act the authors are, and the folks that keep it available on a website. I highly recommend it to anyone who has not read it, regardless of how long they've "been at it".

Recluse
01-07-2012, 02:45 PM
Hmmmmm again.

I got it to download on two of the three Apples with no problem, with both Safari and Firefox. But my main little (translation: favorite) PowerBook isn't liking it.

No worries. Problem is/was on my end for sure and I have a copy of Glen's book safely tucked away on two hard drives and one server, plus the Time Capsule.

I feel better. :)

P.K.
01-09-2012, 11:23 PM
Hmmmmm again.

I got it to download on two of the three Apples with no problem, with both Safari and Firefox. But my main little (translation: favorite) PowerBook isn't liking it.

No worries. Problem is/was on my end for sure and I have a copy of Glen's book safely tucked away on two hard drives and one server, plus the Time Capsule.

I feel better. :)

Good to hear. Great reading and a plus to any bench. Sorry your digital format was scewed, it's prolly your choice of OS. No jab just that MAC is not that friendley to our pursuits. ;-)

:popcorn:

Recluse
01-09-2012, 11:51 PM
Good to hear. Great reading and a plus to any bench. Sorry your digital format was scewed, it's prolly your choice of OS. No jab just that MAC is not that friendley to our pursuits. ;-)

:popcorn:

Actually, the digital format, once downloaded, is perfect. I'd done an upgrade to the PowerBook's Acrobat software, and somewhere in the preferences, I didn't set something right.

Did it all over, and now downloaded the pdf from the lasc site with no problem just as easy as with the Macbook and the big iMac we have upstairs in the office.

Life is good, and now it's off to Office Depot to have it printed and bound. :)

cbrick
01-10-2012, 12:11 AM
Did it all over, and now downloaded the pdf from the lasc site with no problem :coffee:

That is very good news, I was worried there may be a problem with my server or some such except no one else has said anything.

Rick

P.K.
01-10-2012, 11:19 PM
Actually, the digital format, once downloaded, is perfect. I'd done an upgrade to the PowerBook's Acrobat software, and somewhere in the preferences, I didn't set something right.

Did it all over, and now downloaded the pdf from the lasc site with no problem just as easy as with the Macbook and the big iMac we have upstairs in the office.

Life is good, and now it's off to Office Depot to have it printed and bound. :)

That is good news! Glad that it works!

Chihuahua Floyd
01-20-2012, 09:26 PM
I downloaded the .pdf file to my Kindle and read the forward. Only problen is text size is real small. What would be an 8 1/2" by 11" sheet is all on the Kindle screen.
May resort to print and punch.
CF

MikeS
01-30-2012, 03:16 AM
I too downloaded the book to my kindle. Well, actually I emailed it to my kindle, but in any case, it's now on there. I really like it, but I wonder if there's a way of making it into a kindle ready format, so it would be more readable. I don't know what's involved in doing that, if there is software available to convert a PDF file into a kindle native file. In any case, it's great having it on the kindle, that way I can always read it over when I'm out and about, and have the kindle with me.

waksupi
01-30-2012, 12:40 PM
I too downloaded the book to my kindle. Well, actually I emailed it to my kindle, but in any case, it's now on there. I really like it, but I wonder if there's a way of making it into a kindle ready format, so it would be more readable. I don't know what's involved in doing that, if there is software available to convert a PDF file into a kindle native file. In any case, it's great having it on the kindle, that way I can always read it over when I'm out and about, and have the kindle with me.

Mike, there is a program you can download called Calibre that converts from pdf to Kindle compatible reading. It has some glitches in the "translation", but works.

I have been trying to figure out how to down load the book in one shot, so far it looks like it has to be a chapter at a time.

MikeS
01-31-2012, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the info. I downloaded the Calibre program, and managed to convert the full length book into a format that works on the kindle. It's formatting isn't the best, and the PDF version of the files LOOKS better, but this one is actually readable by anyone older than 18 :) Here's a ZIP file that has the 2 files that need to be moved to the kindle:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33510159/From%20Ingot%20to%20Target.zip

BTW, I hope I didn't infringe on anyone by posting this, if I did, by all means delete it, or tell me to, and I will ASAP.

melter68
03-16-2012, 01:16 PM
Not read it all yet but nice reading, thanks for sharing it.
cheers chris in the UK

fatnhappy
03-17-2012, 12:27 AM
I printed a copy for myself, which isn't a big deal for me. When I'm done with it I'll pass it along to someone else here that needs a printed copy.

goofyoldfart
08-10-2012, 11:52 PM
I downloaded the .pdf file to my Kindle and read the forward. Only problen is text size is real small. What would be an 8 1/2" by 11" sheet is all on the Kindle screen.
May resort to print and punch.
CF

go to the kindle website, they have a conversion app that will work. It took me some little while to figure out, BUT then, I'm slow learner.:killingpc God Bless to all and theirs.

Goofy;)

PS Paul
08-16-2012, 03:43 PM
I take a ferry across Puget Sound to downtown Seattle each day for work and have been reading it for weeks now. OUTSTANDING! There are some VERY useful bits of info. I really enjoy Glenn's informative, educational and sometimes hilarious writing style, so it has made a terrific "daily read" for me to and fro on the boat. I strongly encourage this e-book to any and all!

308Man
08-19-2012, 11:53 AM
Found this book on LA Silhouette Club Page. Great Book!

Glen has many articles on LA Silhouette Club site that go beyond or even enhance his book.

Would love Glen's contact info.

dualsport
08-19-2012, 02:13 PM
My printer is smoking! Whew! Now it's done, I can sit in my chair and enjoy. Thanks!

smurf hunter
01-26-2013, 02:36 PM
This is excellent. Just yesterday I tested out my first batch of 158gr TL 38spl loads. This will help sort out some minor issues I had.

Thanks

mikeyd23
02-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Wow, thanks for the links, I was looking for a place to start reading up as I have never casted in my life but really want to get into it.

cbrick
02-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Wow, thanks for the links, I was looking for a place to start reading up as I have never casted in my life but really want to get into it.

Your welcome Mikey, this book is an outstanding place for new casters to start. Great info for the old salts too but indispensible for new casters. I highly recommend downloading and printing it out for future reference.

Rick

ragsflh
02-15-2013, 08:55 PM
thanks rick

cbrick
02-16-2013, 01:21 PM
Your welcome Rags and welcome to CastBoolits.

Rick

Neo
02-18-2013, 10:21 AM
I am now reading the book on my ipad full of great information many thanks. :castmine:

TangoDownPro
05-09-2013, 08:15 PM
Just printed the book off and will get it into a binder very soon. This will be great reading and a reference once I get my casting materials in. Very excited to add casting to my shooting hobbies.

TangoDownPro
05-11-2013, 10:45 PM
I actually printed this out, took it to Office Depot and had them put it into a coil-binder for me with clear cover. Now it is sitting on my reloading bench in the "Man Cave" for when I want to enjoy a drink and get away from the world with some educational reading. :grin:

phishfood
05-27-2013, 08:07 PM
I am reading it now.

I must say that just the chapter on lubes is worth many times the price I had to pay for it.:D

The authors did an exceptional job with that chapter, taking a rather complicated issue and explaining it in a way that even I could understand. Many thanks to all involved.

ddixie884
06-22-2013, 12:48 AM
Boy, casters are great people. Thanx, cbrick and Glen.........

Slow Elk 45/70
07-26-2013, 12:50 AM
I am going to print this out and keep in my files , Also. Thanks right on for what casters need.

kayak1
08-01-2013, 10:25 PM
I love the book I have read over 50% of it so far. It would be great if it was converted to kindle format, I would be glad to pay $'s for the book in kindle format. The PDF doesn't render very well on my kindle.

prsman23
08-01-2013, 10:52 PM
Find a program called calibre. It converts PDF to kindle or book files.

I went ahead and converted it for Kindle and Nook. If anyone would like the files let me know. I can email them.

kayak1
08-02-2013, 11:25 PM
Find a program called calibre. It converts PDF to kindle or book files.

I went ahead and converted it for Kindle and Nook. If anyone would like the files let me know. I can email them.
I used the Amazon PDF to kindle email service but it really breaks up the reading as the scrolling jumps around the page. I will look at calibre. I finished the book on the plane today it was a great read. It left me wanting the rifle companion.

I would still be glad to pay for this one and for the followup.

cainttype
08-07-2013, 11:38 PM
Best book in years to come across.
I actually found it surfing the web sometime back, before joining this forum. The fact that so many members here are so eager to help others in the pursuit of casting speaks volumns about the people generally involved in this pasttime.
Thanks, Rick, for all your work.

histed
01-10-2014, 11:13 PM
I just found this and WOW! My kids decided this Christmas that Dad needed to add casting to his reloading/hand loading routine, so I received a couple of Lee molds, a bottom pour furnace and a Lyman manual. Never cast a boolit and no clue where to start. Now maybe I'll learn enough to ask intelligent questions on here. Thanks doesn't do it, Rick, but you have my anyway

jayhkr
04-13-2014, 12:03 PM
I'm in the same boat as you histed. I just got into reloading in general and later this year I have plans on getting into cast boolits. I have both 10# and 20# lee bottom pour furnaces from my sinker making company, I'm just needing the boolit molds and other equipment to get started. What a great find here! Can't wait to transfer it to my tablet for easy, portable reading.

Hooker53
04-27-2014, 03:48 PM
This book simply fell from reloaders heaven. Thanks Glen and all Involved with such an endeavor. Thanks also to Rick for posting the PDF link for it. I wish I had stumbled upon it just a mer 3 weeks ago. The importaint thing is, I have it now and feel its a new start to my added ( namely Casting) new addition to reloading. Great find!!!

DR Owl Creek
04-29-2014, 12:58 PM
While you're at the LASC site, also go to the Index to All Articles, and check out some other really good articles, especially:

Ed Harris' "Leading Defined"

Felix' "Babbitt - As Bullet Alloy"

Rick Kelter's "Cast Bullet Alloys & Alloy Maintenance", and "Alloying with RotoMetal's Super Hard"

Dave

Joshua 24: 15

Cornbread
04-29-2014, 07:08 PM
I'm reading this book now and it references a chapter on safety saying in a few places to be sure to read that chapter but I don't find it anywhere in the pdf or html versions. Is the online version missing a chapter or did that chapter just never get written?

Hooker53
04-29-2014, 07:15 PM
Hey Dave. I will check those that you referenced and thanks for the heads up on them. Some more good stuff I know!!!

Roy.

cbrick
04-29-2014, 08:54 PM
I'm reading this book now and it references a chapter on safety saying in a few places to be sure to read that chapter but I don't find it anywhere in the pdf or html versions. Is the online version missing a chapter or did that chapter just never get written?

Cornbread, see page 9 in the pdf version. The online version is the only version, it's not paper form unless you print yourself a copy.

Rick

Cornbread
04-29-2014, 09:04 PM
Cornbread, see page 9 in the pdf version. The online version is the only version, it's not paper form unless you print yourself a copy.

Rick

Yep I read that part but when they kept referring to it as "a chapter on safety" I was assuming it was something more than just what was on that page. I'm only on page 27 though, so I have a ways to go :)

alamogunr
05-11-2014, 06:27 PM
Back when The Book was first published on the LASC site, I printed it out and comb bound it. Then I proceeded to follow my usual procedure and read what interested me at the moment. Then it got put up on the shelf and somewhat forgotten about.

About a week ago, after reading a comment on Cast Boolits about something in the book, I decided to get it out and read it from cover to cover in order. I'm glad I did. It is all interesting and I picked up several things that I would have missed. I'm not a hunter but the history that the authors included was very interesting to me.

I thank the authors and Rick for making it available to casters everywhere.

cbrick
05-12-2014, 08:20 AM
Thanks John, I of course in getting it published in both HTML and pdf I have read the book through letter by letter many times. I printed it also and still pick it up and read various chapters. What a great coffee table book it is.

Rick

Cornbread
06-27-2014, 10:15 PM
Finally was able to get time to finish the book this evening. I really enjoyed it! It was really cool of him to put it out there for people in pdf form for no charge. I would definitely purchase a hard bound copy if they ever put one out. I really enjoyed the sort of "history of why" that he had behind a lot of it.

joelsteinbach
07-09-2014, 09:29 AM
Thank you Awesome

1lonewolf75
09-24-2014, 01:39 AM
This is post #1 fer me. I just joined so I wouldn't feel bad downloadin this book. Thank you to all who had a part in it!!!

tnaz
07-26-2015, 02:04 PM
Thanks to all involved; Great find for me.

tnaz

TrashcanDan
03-10-2016, 02:58 PM
Good read.

Answered a lot of questions I had

Lever_Loader
06-07-2016, 11:44 PM
It's a great read so far! Thanks cbrick!

Soundguy
11-02-2016, 06:23 PM
Its the first 'book' I read when I got into casting.

Phlier
11-08-2016, 03:47 PM
This should be required reading for any new caster. I just spent the last three hours reading it. Seriously good stuff.

Jimmy10mm
12-18-2018, 01:31 PM
What a wonderful boon to boolit casters! Can't thank the authors, and this forum enough for making it available. I did a fair amount of casting in the 1970s, on my kitchen table, with a bottom pour Lyman, and Keith's Sixguns for instruction.

I've got an electric pot and a ladel now and I'm going to give it another try all these years later. Casting 429421, and the equivalent RCBS mold. On a screened in porch this time. ;-)

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

T_McD
01-06-2019, 12:49 AM
Haven’t cast a thing yet, but figured this is the place to start

Rubino1988
02-15-2019, 12:34 AM
This was done very well much appreciated from a newbie.

reddhawkk
04-06-2019, 06:01 PM
Excellent information, thank you for making it available to all!

Rattlin
08-26-2020, 02:32 AM
A very, very useful book for any caster. And for beginners it is simply a must-read!

Rightbrained
10-20-2020, 04:29 PM
Thank you for the links.
I’m just getting started and don’t have a mold yet . It’s a good time to be reading !

smithnframe
10-20-2020, 05:38 PM
I printed it out several years ago.

firewhenready7
02-03-2021, 11:14 AM
That's awesome...Thanks for sharing.

VariableRecall
02-12-2021, 05:53 PM
I've picked it up and it's a very noob friendly work! I like it!

Airborne Falcon
03-17-2021, 12:12 AM
Excellent thread ... excellent OP ... excellent everything.

Just wanted to say thanks.

Muser
04-20-2021, 12:53 AM
I'm a new member here trying to read so I can avoid asking questions already answered.

Thanks Rick.

Jal5
03-08-2023, 05:36 PM
Thank you for this terrific book! Cost of copying at OfficeMax has certainly increased over the years but still worth it.
Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dankathytc
03-23-2023, 01:15 PM
I copied the entire book off the LASC site and printed it at home. Put it in a 3 ring binder. It is approx 187 pages, if I recall. I have also done the same with most of Mr Fryxell’s other casting articles, as well as others on the LASC site. I keep them for reference in my reloading room, and reread them all frequently. Without wuestion, the most accurate info available. I probably used 1/4 of an ink cartridge and 2 bucks worth of paper, less than $5 bucks total.

Land Owner
03-24-2023, 05:09 AM
I downloaded those to the PC as digital copies (PDF's) where (tongue-in-cheek) no trees were harmed but a lot of electrons were inconvenienced!