PDA

View Full Version : Keep your bench NEAT!

Jim
03-16-2011, 03:22 PM
I know you guys are very obsevvive about keeping a neat bench, so I cleaned mine up today in an effort to stay within specs. Is this OK?

http://fgsp.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/photos-005-e1300302759458.jpg

klcarroll
03-16-2011, 03:43 PM
What's that light brown wooden looking thing under all the tools and stuff???????

Kent

scottiemom
03-16-2011, 04:16 PM
yeah - and that now brown thing used to be my dining room table!! the things one does for love!

wallenba
03-16-2011, 04:18 PM
Typical of us guys? When told by others that a "cluttered desk means a cluttered mind", just respond by asking, "what does an empty desk mean?". Mine is always neat and clean (not).

fryboy
03-16-2011, 04:35 PM
nice pocket knife !!

eh mine goes in stages depending upon what i'm doing , usually halfway ummm respectable ..... if not then i wheel to the other half of the L shape , my desk on the other hand ... i think it's still under the stuff on it ( not sure havent seen it in a week or three lolz )

stubshaft
03-16-2011, 04:39 PM
I cleaned mine just last year.

oldhickory
03-16-2011, 04:55 PM
This is about as good as it gets...Well, better than most days.
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn179/krag1894/Picture019.jpg
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn179/krag1894/Picture017-1.jpg

Harter66
03-16-2011, 05:03 PM
Better a productive mess than tidy idleness!

Mine isn't any better really ,very productive I tell myself.

Charlie Two Tracks
03-16-2011, 05:09 PM
Where is the spilled lube on the desk so that it catches all of the dust? Spilled lube can catch a lot of dust and if it is sticky enough, it will also keep your brass from fallling off the desk!

Von Gruff
03-16-2011, 05:24 PM
This is as good as it gets fro me.

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/reloading003.jpg

Von Gruff.

stubshaft
03-16-2011, 06:14 PM
Von Gruff that looks like a museum display. Last time mine was that organized was the day after I moved in.LOL

Roundnoser
03-16-2011, 06:25 PM
This is about as good as it gets...Well, better than most days.

You Dauphin County boys aren't known for being tidy!:bigsmyl2:

Von Gruff
03-16-2011, 06:31 PM
Von Gruff that looks like a museum display. Last time mine was that organized was the day after I moved in.LOL

I did say that is was as good as it gets and not that often either.
:bigsmyl2:

:lovebooli

Von Gruff.

oldhickory
03-16-2011, 06:32 PM
You Dauphin County boys aren't known for being tidy!:bigsmyl2:

I picked up the beer cans.[smilie=p:

thx997303
03-16-2011, 06:36 PM
My bench is actually somewhat visible.

It's so new, I haven't gotten around to properly "organizing" it. :bigsmyl2:

ubetcha
03-16-2011, 06:45 PM
Now I don't feel so bad about my bench.Everytime try and clean it all I wind up doing is move everything for one side to the other

Larry Gibson
03-16-2011, 06:51 PM
Jim

Here's my new loading bench we just talked about on the phone. It's after I just mounted the 3 presses. There's a Dillon SDB to the left of the 550B now. I've the top thick enough that I C clamp the 450s (3), MEC and Lee shotshell loaders, RCBS priming tool, Lyman 55 powder throwers (3), the Dillon primer pockets swage, a Pacific single stage C press and a C&H Swagomatic (haven't ever used it in 40 years?) and probably a few other accouterments all stored underneath in the cupboards. The bench is rock solid. This is a neat as it will ever be seen:bigsmyl2:

Larry Gibson

Bulltipper
03-16-2011, 07:09 PM
Everybody but Larry---Thank you for making me feel better about my bench. It is a work in progress. Larry-Nice bench. You're killing me. ;-)

deltaenterprizes
03-16-2011, 07:19 PM
Everybody but Larry---Thank you for making me feel better about my bench. It is a work in progress. Larry-Nice bench. You're killing me. ;-)

He doesn't do any loading, he just has all that equipment to impress visitors!

I have been trying to keep a clean bench for 25 years and I am still losing the battle. I clean up when I can't find a particular item and after I find it I can't find anything else because I can't remember where I put it!

telebasher
03-16-2011, 07:24 PM
Is it a requirement to have a bow and arrows hanging in the reloading room ? I have an old Ben Pearson recurve and a quiver full of arrows hanging in mine. I noticed several bows in these pictures LOL.

firefly1957
03-16-2011, 07:34 PM
Jim you need more drawers to hide that stuff in and keep dust off. I WOULD SEND A PICTURE OF MY BENCH BUT AM HAVING TROUBLE WITH COMPUTER NOT READING CAMERA OR SD CARD?

Muddy Creek Sam
03-16-2011, 07:35 PM
I could keep a clean bench iffin I had all those doors to hide stuff behind, All my stuff is like Fibber Mcgee's closet.

Sam :D

Murphy
03-16-2011, 07:39 PM
My motto about my bench "If I can see wood, I'm good!"

Murphy

Boerrancher
03-16-2011, 07:46 PM
My bench is far from being clean, from an outsider's (wife's) point of view. Even most of you I am sure would say it is beyond a train wreak, so I won't bother posting a photo of it to save my wife the embarrassment, but like I tell her, "I know exactly where everything is and it always goes back in the exact same spot that I picked it up from, when I am finished using it." Yes I have die boxes, primer boxes, priming tools, case trimmers and primer pocket reamers laying about the top of my work bench, but even though I haven't been in their for a week or more I still know where every tool, boolit and bullet type are with out really looking.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

P.S.
The rumors of my disappearance have been greatly exaggerated and I am still lurking in the shadows.

Jim
03-16-2011, 08:47 PM
Larry, that is one sweet set up!

Three-Fifty-Seven
03-16-2011, 08:47 PM
Here's mine:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnVT/Guns/Loadingbench.jpg

It is not always looking like this, but . . . since it is in our bedroom . . . my wife "suggests" I clear it up every once in awhile!

My bow is not in the picture, but a bow shaped rattlesnake skin . . . I only had 4' X 2.5' of board . . . so I just bent it some . . . !

hiram
03-16-2011, 08:56 PM
I don't feel so bad now except for post 17--that makes me uncomfortable.

AZ-Stew
03-16-2011, 09:18 PM
Where is the spilled lube on the desk so that it catches all of the dust? Spilled lube can catch a lot of dust and if it is sticky enough, it will also keep your brass from falling off the desk!

Boolit or case??

My bench is actually somewhat visible.

So's mine, if you back up far enough.

Here's my new loading bench... The bench is rock solid. This is a neat as it will ever be seen:bigsmyl2:

Larry Gibson

Looks more like a bar than a loading bench. Way too high-class. (Don't look until I stop turning green.)

Is it a requirement to have a bow and arrows hanging in the reloading room ? I have an old Ben Pearson recurve and a quiver full of arrows hanging in mine. I noticed several bows in these pictures LOL.

No bow here. Can't hit the broadside of a barn from the inside with one.

I WOULD SEND A PICTURE OF MY BENCH BUT AM HAVING TROUBLE WITH COMPUTER NOT READING CAMERA OR SD CARD?

Stick with that story. It's a good one.

Regards,

Stew

P.S. Is this a record for the number of quotes from different people in a single post??

oldhickory
03-16-2011, 09:47 PM

That's just where it happens to lean right.

rockrat
03-16-2011, 09:55 PM
Mine was neat, twice, didn't last that long. Shop the same way. Hardly a flat surface anywhere.

Your benches look neat compared to mine!!!!! Just ask my wife, she will tell you the same thing :)

Tom W.
03-16-2011, 10:18 PM
About this time of the year plastic worms, hooks, lures and such show up on my bench.......

Olevern
03-16-2011, 11:41 PM
Jim, need to make those two new booliteers come back and clean up the bench after they're done doing whatever it is they were doing there. Least now you have someone to blame the mess on :-) What an odd assortment of 'stuff'.

220swiftfn
03-17-2011, 01:23 AM
Oh oh...... mine has layers.......:holysheep Starting to get things squared away so's I can build a new one........

Dan

lead-1
03-17-2011, 02:31 AM
Yep, I'd say that looks about right. Get it too clean and folks will think your slacking.

jcwit
03-17-2011, 02:54 AM
I couldn't work the way some of those desks are, so neat and clean.

Ever see a picture of Einsteins desk. And I bet he knew where every paper was at.

casterofboolits
03-17-2011, 06:50 AM
One clutered reloading bench? I have four! The casting stuff is in a seperate building and there are four cluttered benches there too. You guys just ain't trying!

steg
03-17-2011, 07:14 AM
Darn it, now I need to find a bow, and some room to hang it, I tend to clean the bench with a scoup shovel every leap year, kind of more stuff than room, I refuse to call it junk!..................steg

Jim
03-17-2011, 10:10 AM
One clutered reloading bench? I have four! The casting stuff is in a seperate building and there are four cluttered benches there too. You guys just ain't trying!

I'll try harder, Caster, I promise I will! Can I still play with y'all?:(

mold maker
03-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Last time I saw my bench top, I was bent way over looking up.
It's been years since I could bend over that far, and get back up without help.
Come to think of it, my mind is just as cluttered.
Just too much stuff in both.

timkelley
03-17-2011, 10:46 AM
I found my benches last week but I've lost them again.

bigdog454
03-17-2011, 10:53 AM
I built a new bench, because I couldn't find my first one. I am now thinking I need a new bench.

It's hard to be neat when your creative.

BD

Larry Gibson
03-17-2011, 02:54 PM
Here's mine:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Loadingbench.jpg

I'm thinking of adding some upper cabinets, and a 550B . . . :lol:

It is not always looking like this, but . . . since it is in our bedroom . . . my wife "suggests" I clear it up every once in awhile!

My bow is not in the picture, but a bow shaped rattlesnake skin . . . I only had 4' X 2.5' of board . . . so I just bent it some . . . !

Showed your post to my wife trying to reenforce what qualities a "good wife" should have (having a loading bench in the bedroom not the having to clean it up part).........she said; "in the bedroom! No way, you're lucky to have the garage!"......:-( So much for the best laid plans......

Larry Gibson

Three-Fifty-Seven
03-17-2011, 04:09 PM
Showed your post to my wife trying to reenforce what qualities a "good wife" should have (having a loading bench in the bedroom not the having to clean it up part).........she said; "in the bedroom! No way, you're lucky to have the garage!"......:-( So much for the best laid plans......

Larry Gibson

Larry,

Just tell her that you'll be a VERY NICE husband like Benz is . . . and not reload while she is sleeping!:mrgreen:

I only clean mine up when I want to, but it gives her something to nag about, really she would have trouble finding something else . . . I try not to make life too hard for her!

Chili
03-17-2011, 04:15 PM
Here is my set up. The stuff on the shelves to the right is now in a Craftsman steel locker.

firefly1957
03-17-2011, 06:53 PM
Here is my bench as it is today

Olevern
03-19-2011, 08:50 PM
No current pics of my benches, but here is one I found of one of my storage walls, just to give you an idea how organized I am (not)...

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac56/Olevern/DSC_6726.jpg