PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight OVen

Ranch Dog
11-28-2006, 11:56 AM
What are your thoughts on using this oven offered by Harbor Freight to heat treat cast boolits...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/46300-46399/46300.gif

Harbor Freight Powder Coat Oven (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46300)

I like the fact that it is compact, 110 VAC, and does not require an exhaust.

44woody
11-28-2006, 12:47 PM
I think it would work just fine if I could aford it I would do it I think you only have to go to around 350 degrees to heat treat bullets :castmine: 44Woody

Buckshot
11-29-2006, 03:43 AM
..............Actually to get the best out of heat treating a cast boolit the temp needs to be up around 450 or so. You keep raising the temp till you see the slugs start to soften (sharp corners start to round) or begin to slump. Back off a couple degrees and that's the temp to use.

.................Buckshot

mazo kid
12-04-2006, 10:22 PM
Try to find a garage -sale toaster oven; they are 110 volt also and very reasonable. Should be able to treat a couple hundred bullets at a time in a couple of pans, maybe more. Emery

lovedogs
12-04-2006, 10:35 PM
I'm a bit leery about anything from Harbor Freight. Last Christmas a friend gave me a 4X36 belt/disc sander to help me along with my hobby of making knives and working on guns. The second time I used it one of the housings cracked. I called them to see if they'd warranty it. Nope! Then I had to order a new part. It's been a couple of months now and still no part. I called them the other day and was told they didn't keep that part in stock and it was coming from the manufacturer... in China! Who knows if it will ever arrive. Like I said, I'm not anxious to get anything else from that outfit.

LET-CA
12-04-2006, 10:39 PM
That's a beautiful oven, but at that price it should be. You can buy a full size range in that price range. I've seen toaster ovens for as little as $20 at WalMart in the past month. I think I"d pop for a "good" toaster oven in the $40-50 range before I'd drop that kind of money for what will be a single purpose instrument.

All the best with whatever you decide.

Lenny