PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Get Scratches Out Of A Bore?

BulletFactory
03-15-2011, 05:50 PM
I scratched the inside of the bore on one of the lands with a drill bit today, how do you fix this?

Wayne Smith
03-15-2011, 06:06 PM
Drill it out and re-rifle??

craig61a
03-15-2011, 06:17 PM
Well, I guess the obvious question would be; Why did you stick a drill bit in the bore in the first place?

Whether the scratches are deep or not you may be able to smooth them out by 'lapping' the bore with some Clover 360 lapping compound. I would swab the bore with some Hoppes or another solvent, then using a wet patch, apply some of the lapping compound to the patch, about the size of a small pea. Work the patch carefully in the bore back and forth about 10 - 15 times, then push some clean patches through making sure to get all the remaining lapping compound out. This will smooth the bore out removing very little metal. I do this with Military surplus rifles that have some pitting and it helps to some out the bore and removing the rough edges from the pitting. Has improved accuracy in my milsurps. Don't worry too much if the scratch is still visible. The above process will smooth it out so that it shouldn't have too much of an effect on accuracy.

Finally - don't stick drill bits in the bore!

243winxb
03-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Do nothing unless you get a large build up of lead when shooting. Tubb Final Finish Bore Lapping System 40 Caliber and 10mm Pistol http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=220502

243winxb
03-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Have used also, many years ago, Pearl Drops Tooth Polish on a tight patch. :Fire:

btroj
03-15-2011, 06:34 PM
You could fire lap it. This will not remove all the marks but smooth them out allowing things to be better.
As for why this happened, I will liken it to a story in a book I own. When it is pouring rain out, is 9:45 at night and the hardware store closes at ten. A guy comes in buying a box of roofing nails and some roofing cement. Do not ask how his day is going, it should be pretty obvious.

Good luck.

Brad

stubshaft
03-15-2011, 06:53 PM
You could fire lap it. This will not remove all the marks but smooth them out allowing things to be better.
As for why this happened, I will liken it to a story in a book I own. When it is pouring rain out, is 9:45 at night and the hardware store closes at ten. A guy comes in buying a box of roofing nails and some roofing cement. Do not ask how his day is going, it should be pretty obvious.

Good luck.

Brad

That's pretty good Brad.:bigsmyl2:

The noob question would be "roofing nails, which one?"

BulletFactory
03-15-2011, 07:26 PM
What brad said...

BulletFactory
03-15-2011, 07:27 PM
I was thinking about lapping it to help a leading issue Ive been having.

stubshaft
03-15-2011, 07:48 PM
Where is the scratch located? chamber or muzzle? If it is near the chamber I would go ahead and pour a lap. Unless it is extremely deep it may not cause any cause for concern anyway.

BulletFactory
03-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Its pretty light, about an inch away from the chamber. I figured I would have permanent leading issues as a result.

waksupi
03-15-2011, 08:00 PM
I also would like to know how you did this, and why?

MtGun44
03-15-2011, 09:13 PM
Probably fire about 10 rds of jacketed and forget it.

Bill

BulletFactory
03-15-2011, 09:38 PM
tried a chamber cast with hot glue. Even though I oiled it first, it got stuck. Then I tried to press it owt with a dowel, which broke in the barrel, I tried a lead slug in the muzzle end to try to drive it through, that didnt work. I had to drill through the lead slug for an EZ out, which did get the slug back out of the muzzle.That worked, so I drilled through the hot glue to drive a pin through there so I could back the dowel out, which worked, but the drill bit canted just enough to put half a dozen scratches on one of the lands. I finally peeled the rest of the glue out with a very thin screwdriver, and hat to use 000 seell wool on a bore brush to get the residue out. This was the extent of this afternoons activities.

BulletFactory
03-15-2011, 09:39 PM
If it worked, it would have been a great idea.

*my new sig.*.

bowenrd
03-15-2011, 09:57 PM
glue is for sticking

Bulltipper
03-15-2011, 10:11 PM
I know guys who sniff it too...

btroj
03-15-2011, 10:18 PM
Ah, an "Oh carp" moment. Got it. Sadly, we all pretty well understand those.

Now the big question, did we learn anything today son?

I would maybe shoot some jacketed to smooth it out some, clean it good, and move on.

Brad

BulletFactory
03-15-2011, 10:34 PM
yessir, hot glue makes better glue than chamber casting material. It makes for some really fun plinking rounds though. Squirt some in a mold, trim flat, and add a grain pf powder. Great for tactical practice in the house.

geargnasher
03-15-2011, 11:31 PM
You were supposed to use Pam and paraffin!!!

(NO, NOT what you gutterminds are thinking! This was in the other thread.)

Pam doesn't like hot glue.

Gear

waksupi
03-15-2011, 11:37 PM
Thanks for telling us. You may save someone the same pain in the future.

BulletFactory
03-15-2011, 11:42 PM
I figured motor oil would work. It worked on the first one, but I got a wrinkled cast, just like a cold mold, so I got the heat gun and warmed the barrel. I think that was the error that started everything down hill.

The cast I did get seemed to show the chamber with a sharp 90* lip, then the same diameter in the throat on through to the rifling. Doesnt seem to be any angle whatsoever prior to where the rifling starts. The rifling seems to begin about .140" past the chamber. I really want to get a better cast though, this one is a little difficult to read.

BulletFactory
03-15-2011, 11:43 PM
yeah waksupi, I figure its best to be humble when you screw something up and actually resolve it, than to pretend it didnt happen. Its better all the way around.

HammerMTB
03-16-2011, 09:12 AM
You were supposed to use Pam and paraffin!!!

(NO, NOT what you gutterminds are thinking! This was in the other thread.)

Pam doesn't like hot glue.

Gear

Seriously? You can use Paraffin as a chamber cast? It sounds like it ought to work.

44man
03-16-2011, 02:56 PM
NO, I am not going to get into this! :violin: