PDA

View Full Version : My surprise out shooting today!

Three-Fifty-Seven
03-15-2011, 02:45 PM
I headed off to a gravel pit I call "The DUMP" as so many people take stuff there and shoot it full of holes and then just leave it there!

At the end I decided to go for a walk-a-bout and spied a 1lb propane tank/can laying on its side on the ground 25-30 feet away . . . in the sun . . . I hit it about 1/3 of the way from the end and about 1/3 of the way up from the ground . . . :Fire: . . . I had failed to notice that there were no holes in it prior to me shooting it! That tank jumped about 20' into the air, spinning and hissing! When it landed I went over and realized that there was only one hole it it, the bullet did not penetrate the back side. I shot it a few more times . . . just to make sure, you know! After it was empty I was able to shoot right through both sides.

Always make sure you know what your shooting. :confused:

oldhickory
03-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Ha-Ha! Sounds like a fun day. I wish I was with you!

klcarroll
03-15-2011, 03:27 PM
I wish I had a place like that to go and shoot!!

Kent

bootsnthejeep
03-15-2011, 03:33 PM
Once on a camping trip I took a "empty" 1# propane tank and leaned it, nozzle down, in the crotch of some roots on a big pine tree and commenced to shoot at it with my single six. We were so sure the thing would blow up or something, I was shooting from 50 feet away, lying down behind a log with just my shooting hand past the end and i was leaning my head out to see the sights.

About the third shot I finally hit it. As it happened, from later inspection, I hit it right next to the neck, which was pointing down. Damn thing took off like a rocket straight up in the air, missed EVERY branch on that pine tree (I STILL can't figure THAT out) and we lost sight of it.

Then the mad scramble started to find something solid to get under for the return trip.

5 or 6 seconds later (sure felt like longer) the thing crash landed right in the middle of camp.

Did we learn our lesson? Absolutely.

We took the other "empty" canister, built a ramp out of driftwood, and tried to launch it out over the lake. Didn't work exactly, but it was a nice idea.

Von Gruff
03-15-2011, 05:17 PM
I have a steel plate on a stand and usually give it a spray coat of fast dry pain so I can seen the boolit impact and asses grouping. Because i often give it a touch up every now and then I had been in the habbit of leavin the spray can up near the target and of course it got hit and announced the fact by getting paint everywhere. Bring the paint back to the truck now...........lesson learned.

Von Gruff

NSP64
03-15-2011, 07:55 PM
asses grouping.

Von Gruff

LMAO.. This is what we have in Washington, D.C.

No lessons EVER learned there.

AZ-Stew
03-15-2011, 08:31 PM
I have a steel plate on a stand and usually give it a spray coat of fast dry pain so I can seen the boolit impact and asses grouping. Because i often give it a touch up every now and then I had been in the habbit of leavin the spray can up near the target and of course it got hit and announced the fact by getting paint everywhere. Bring the paint back to the truck now...........lesson learned.

Von Gruff

Is this how you get a pain in the asses? Didn't know you could spray it on.

(We love ya, Von Gruff!)

Regards,

Stew

DIRT Farmer
03-15-2011, 08:54 PM
The local meth heads "hide" containers of anhydrous ammoina in the edges of fields, stuff like water coolers, 20# lp tanks and fire extingusers . I tend to carry a hand gun every where and when on a tractor the containers stand out, white tank, green soybeans? so as a public service I shoot them (tanks not meth heads) A 20# lp tank will kill a bunch of beans and don't stand down wind.

Tom W.
03-15-2011, 09:27 PM
Ahh the half empty propane tank.

I threw one into an old bauxite mine and it bobbed about for a while. I was about 50 to 80 feet above it and I figured it was time to see what one of my .44 mag loads would do to said tank. The first shot missed, the second hit the side of the tank and it very rapidly spun around like a jet propelled top.
The smell of propane was terrible, and I waited a bit to see what else was going to happen. Nothing else did. The wind dispersed the gas in short order so I fired another round, hit the tank in the bottom, and it sank into the unknown depths of the mine..

Three-Fifty-Seven
03-15-2011, 10:22 PM
I just figured it was trash . . . and already shot up . . .

steg
03-16-2011, 12:59 AM
That's what I call fun Shootin...................

Three-Fifty-Seven
03-16-2011, 08:44 AM
Yeah, I usually only shoot paper . . . so I can collect my lead in my traps . . .