PDA

View Full Version : primer only fired 223 ? quib load

badbob454
03-15-2011, 10:59 AM
has anyone drilled out the flash hole and used a magnum rifle primer on a soft lead bullet ? will i go out the barrel ? i was thinking a sized 224 bullet 37 gr. fired with a primer only , works in 22 rimfire ... anyone?

bowenrd
03-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Sounds like a good way to plug the barrel.

rhbrink
03-15-2011, 11:07 AM
I haven't tried that but I have used a primer in a normal case and seated by hand a 22 pellet in the case and fired that. It went out the barrel but didn't shoot all that great, not very fast either don't know the speed but a regular 22 pellet rifle is much more efficent. It is useable and fairly quiet and if you don't have a air rifle it could be used up close. I suppose that if you drilled out some cases and went to a mag primer it might work better.

jmh54738
03-15-2011, 11:07 AM
Are you saying that by removing the powder from a 22 rimfire, the priming is of sufficient strength to expell the bullet from the barrel?

Three-Fifty-Seven
03-15-2011, 11:08 AM
Try it and see!;-)

Just pull the bolt and check the barrel after you fire, or shoot at something close to see if you hit it . . . can't be any worse than slugging your barrel . . . you have done that , right? :kidding:

dragonrider
03-15-2011, 11:18 AM
I think you will only plug the barrel. I have drilled out a 223 case to accept a shotgun primer and use 22 cal. pellets. It's fun in the cellar.

beagle
03-15-2011, 11:21 AM
Some guy was selling the drilled out .223 cases on E-Bone before they went anti-gun. They used a shotgun primer and I believe they fired a cast bullet. Meant to try it but never did./beagle

jmh54738
03-15-2011, 11:40 AM
Try it and see!;-)

Just pull the bolt and check the barrel after you fire, or shoot at something close to see if you hit it . . . can't be any worse than slugging your barrel . . . you have done that , right? :kidding:

You do it and I will read the report........right?

Larry Gibson
03-15-2011, 12:15 PM
CB and CB longs use a 29 gr bullet. Got a cast one that light? BTW; I have tried it with 225107s cast of pure lead. They stick in the barrel with magnum level SR primers. With cases drilled out for 209 primers the 1st couple would barely exit and then the 3rd or 4th would stick in the barrel due to the real gritty fouling left by the primer only ignition.

A magnum primer works ok with light .22 cal pellets for the first 10 or so shots. If you drill the cases for the 209 primers then the heavier (18+ gr) pellets work ok. Still necessary to run a patch through the bore to clean out the primer grtit every 10 or so shots. Pellet rifle works a whole lot better, even the cheaper ones.

Larry Gibson

Three-Fifty-Seven
03-15-2011, 02:23 PM
You do it and I will read the report........right?

Actually I think that people need to experiment more for themselves, Like Larry did.

NSP64
03-15-2011, 03:57 PM
I have tried a 40 gr rimfire lead bullet and had to load 1.0 gr of unique to get it to work

felix
03-15-2011, 03:59 PM
22LR speed is very close to Herco. How much powder is in a 22 short, LR? ... felix

475BH
03-15-2011, 05:41 PM
Are you saying that by removing the powder from a 22 rimfire, the priming is of sufficient strength to expell the bullet from the barrel?

.22 BB Cap (Bulleted Breech Cap) is a variety of .22 caliber rimfire ammunition. .22 BB cap and .22 CB refer to cartridges that are low velocity and project reduced noise. These rimfires closely resemble a .22 caliber air rifle in power and are often used for indoor shooting and close range pest control. Developed for indoor shooting galleries with special "gallery guns", the .22 BB Cap was the first rimfire cartridge, dating back to 1845. It has no separate propellant charge, relying on the impulse created by the primer alone to fire a round lead ball. This results in a low muzzle velocity of around 700 ft/s (210 m/s) or less.

http://www.outdoor-sports-store.com/item.aspx?PID=190036&w=7QApsGY%2fh08%3d
:smile:

JIMinPHX
03-15-2011, 07:18 PM

That's what a colibri round is. I chronographed some at around 380fps. They come out of a pistol faster than they come out of a rifle. The box warns against using them in a rifle because they sometimes can get stuck in the barrel.

Also look up "floberts BB cap"

stubshaft
03-15-2011, 07:59 PM
YES/no - I used a Large rifle primer pocket uniforming tool, drilled out the flash hole to 1/8" and loaded 22 pellets and some 5.5mm round balls. IIRC there is a video on youtube showing the process. No, I didn't shoot a 37gr boolit. I never chrono'd them but they do come out of the barrel both pistol (10") and rifle (24") with some authority.

jmh54738
03-15-2011, 08:43 PM
I have fired a lot of the BB caps that came in a round metal tin. They were copper cased and had an acorn on the head. They may have been round ball. Take one apart and you will find more than just the little green primer compound that is spun under the rim of a regular 22, no actual powder however. The CB (conical bullet) loads have powder. The OP stated that loads propelled by primer alone "works in 22 rimfire". I am still asking the OP just what it is that works in a 22? Maybe JIMinPX will pull a bullet off of a Colibri (hummingbird in Russian) and compare the priming charge with that of a regular 22. I would do it but I don't have any.

NHlever
03-15-2011, 08:46 PM
I tried the .22 pellet over just a primer just to see how it worked. I found the neck on the .223 is too short for most pellets, and I doubt you could have much more bearing surface than a pellet without sticking the projectile in the bore. It did work with a .22 Hornet I had, but I found no use for the medicore accuracy that I got from it.

HangFireW8
03-15-2011, 08:50 PM
Still necessary to run a patch through the bore to clean out the primer grtit every 10 or so shots. Pellet rifle works a whole lot better, even the cheaper ones.

Larry is right. Even standard Rifle primers leave an amazing amount of grit. I had to decap a few dozen '06 cases with crimped primers and didn't want to do it at home, so I popped them all on the range (no powder or bullet). I couldn't believe the amount of dirt and grit left behind. I guess the projectile carries most of it out on the next shot.

badbob454
03-15-2011, 09:11 PM
Thanks guys i found out what i needed to know i dont want a dirty gritty load i have tried 1.5 gr of wc 860 and 1.5 gr of 700x and 1.5 gr of wc 820 all were as loud as a 22 and less would not be consistent i think . So i will continue to buy super colibri a powderless 22 round it is slow but enough to shoot rats without disturbing the neighbors in my rural setting ..it works good in my bolt action mossberg 42m

jmh54738
03-15-2011, 11:16 PM
The CCI 22short CB's are very quiet. The only sound is the hammer drop. There is a 22 long version, but they leave a lot of residue in the bore.

Bulltipper
03-16-2011, 12:13 AM
I shoot aguila colibri's out of my Winchester 9422 sometimes for quiet plinking. they are so quiet you can hear the hammer fall louder than the shot. I chronyed a few and they were 500 to 600 FPS. These are 20grain lead, available from Cheaper than Dirt, the only downside is you have to listen for the bullet to hit the target and check the bore if you do not hear or see a hit so you don't plug one in the barrel. also they tend to leave a lot of lead fouling right in the leade of the bore and you have to run a patch down it about every 20-30 rounds. ( I know the box says pistol only, but i'm all grown up now, and if I shoot my eye out--it's my own dang fault!)

badbob454
03-16-2011, 01:37 AM
Colibri is the quietest followed by super colibri then cci cb shorts sorry but louder, than a pellet gun , not silent ..... And then cb longs iv tried them all the cci cb shorts are reliable ...the colibri misfire sometimes and must be hit again , by the firing pin quiet but i hate a misfire thats wy i wanted to try a primer on my 223 , would probably work better on a hornet , smaller case higher pressure from the primer...

blackthorn
03-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Years ago I bought a box of 100, .22 Winchester low velocity shorts. I used them for shooting pack rats in my old fishing camp cabin. Fired point blank (2") above a soft 1" pine board, they would go through and just lay on the ground. Worked well on the rats though at about 24'.