PDA

View Full Version : Win 75 Target w/British Proofs

218bee
03-14-2011, 10:05 PM
Buddy of mine came over last weekend to do some 22 shootin and bullshootin:-P.
Looking over his Winchester model75 Target I noticed a helluva lot of marks on barrel just ahead of receiver. Had to get my glasses and we discovered it had "not English made" stamped on the barrel and action and the typical crown with BNP underneath. Also had a figure in sq in of pressure(dont remember what it was) and funny thing was for square was a "square box" type stamp and then "in." so we assume square inch.
I assume these were sent to Great Britain at some point for target shooting or training. There are no re-import marks I can find. Judging by serial number gun was made in late 40's.
I told him I would dig for some info so I am asking for help from anyone who may know more about this than I. He had 2 of these 75's and I bought one of them but he didnt want to sell the other once we saw those proofs on it. Not that we think there is any extreme value in it...but it makes a nice gun even "cooler".
Any thoughts or where to find more info would be appreciated....Thanks

Baron von Trollwhack
03-21-2011, 09:15 PM
Probably a late 30s commercial import to England for civilian sale. I believe there would be a government stamp if it had been imported for military use. Proofed either way though.

BvT

fgd135
04-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Lots of those rifles were also sold post WW2 in the US military PX system for airmen and soldiers stationed in Great Britain. Any rifle imported for that purpose would have exactly the markings you describe.
In fact, I have a Winchester M67 that has those same British proofs and markings, along with a serial number that was probably applied at the proofing house--as no M67 ever had a factory applied sn.